Should this be an insurance claim or under warranty?

• Total voters

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm waiting for the service advisor's take. Nothing against tow truck guys, but do you really want to accept the roadside tow truck guys diagnosis as the gospel? For all we can guess, that engine was doused with muddy water and it got on the dipstick when he pulled it. Wouldn't be surprised if the poorly located PCM was fried. Not the first, and I was sure to mention that to my Ford survey response. There's tons of room for a better location on this vehicle.
Sponsored

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
Would definitely like to know more about this situation and how it came to be.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
What is there a speed limit to the 23.6" water-fording?
S'Up Omaha,

Page 246 of the manual states:
Drving through Water Limitations
BASE= 17.7 in.
BADLANDS = 23.6 in.
"When you are driving through water do not exceed 4 mph"

Poolman Bruce ?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
S'Up Omaha,

BASE= 17.7 in.
BADLANDS = 23.6 in.

Poolman Bruce ?
pesky manuals, ruin all the fun

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
S'Up Omaha,

BASE= 17.7 in.
BADLANDS = 23.6 in.

Poolman Bruce ?
The look of that mud spray appears that she was going faster than 4 mph.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm more inclined to think the ECU was damaged by water submersion, just like another water incident post from a few months ago.
Unless the engine somehow ingested water, even though the OP said the air filter was clean and dry.
All we can do is speculate and wait for the OP to give the dealer diagnosis and prognosis.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
The look of that mud spray appears that she was going faster than 4 mph.
The look of that mud spray appears that the vehicle slid sideways into the puddle, and the spinning front tires (at zero forward speed) threw mud up on the fender, A-pillar, and door. Kinda exactly like what the owner reported.

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
This is almost exactly what I went through. The tech from the start did not think there would be any water in the engine in my scenario. As others have mentioned, it was faulty ECU connectors. The good thing is at least you got a picture in the water whereas I had to rely on the mud in the wheel well. I bet if the tech opens up the PCM (ECU) connectors, they will find corrosion from water getting in a long time before this instance. Drowned Goat Support Crew

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The look of that mud spray appears that the vehicle slid sideways into the puddle, and the spinning front tires (at zero forward speed) threw mud up on the fender, A-pillar, and door. Kinda exactly like what the owner reported.
That's exactly right. She was to the side of the puddle,got stuck in the mud, and slid sideways into the water. She changed the GOAT mode to mud and ruts. This was not an off roading adventure. She was looking for a house that was listed for sale and the GPS took her down this road.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That's exactly right. She was to the side of the puddle,got stuck in the mud, and slid sideways into the water. She changed the GOAT mode to mud and ruts. This was not an off roading adventure. She was looking for a house that was listed for sale and the GPS took her down this road.
If you're interested. Search Google Maps for Cosner dr in Show Low AZ. Just below the shortest tee on the golf course you'll see the piles of wood in the background of the photo.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Any pictures with hood opened?
Sorry, wish I took more pictures than just the one. By the time realized things were worse than I thought the car was being loaded onto the flatbed. The engine department appeared clean and dry and like I mentioned the air filter looked undamaged.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I contacted Ford on Friday and provided all the details. They said I would receive a call from them within 1 business day. It's Wednesday and I haven't heard from anyone at Ford. I called the dealership. They've had the car since July 31st. As of yesterday, August 10th, they still hadn't looked at the car. The muddy water was still sitting in the engine. Although no water flowed into cabin, there was plenty dragged in by getting in and out a few times. The dealership owner said the car stunk. The dealerships excuse is that they are backed up three weeks
Sponsored