Move up (maybe) to a full size Bronco?

Would you move up to a full size Bronco in the future?

• Total voters

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Some of you have heard my story (maybe too many times by now). The BS BL was the second choice to the prom when it became clear the full size might not be delivered until 2025 based on my dealer’s allocations. Granger came through and offered the sport for 6% under invoice to help with their allocations and I ordered it with the intentions of trading or giving it to my wife when the full size came in 2025. After the first winter, I could not get the grin off my face and decided something else would have to go or there was going to be another Bronco in the corral. It’s been a great little SUV.

Well as fate has it, Ford decided to try and clear out all us original reservationist and I got a vin and a build week of April 3, 2023. Unfortunately, they weren’t quite ready to produce my 2 door 7MT Heritage. I now have a July 19th build date assuming it holds. The 2 door 7MT was going to be my on and off daily driver but now will be relegated to only being driven when it suits me and the Sport will be given primary responsibility as it’s a great vehicle and makes more sense for daily driving.

The saving grace is with my 2021 price protection and 2k under invoice price from Granger, it will go out the door for less than what my BS BL would today. Not sure I’d would have done it otherwise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I really wanted a Bronco for a minute there, test drove one with a stick shift and loved it. The price of gas was a non-issue since I had a company gas card and a generous car allowance. I was mentally 75% of the way to trading my BS.

It would not have been a rational purchase, but fortunately my boss made the decision easy for me when he laid me off. Now I'm debating whether I want to keep making payments on the BS or just daily drive my Transit. With my side-hustle turned into my full time gig, I don't have much need for a commuter car.
Congrats on turning your side hustle into a full time gig!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I had to vote no. For now. I think the full size is awesome, but I do believe everything you use a car for as a daily driver is compromised.

I do plan to look at the Ranger when it comes out for a size upgrade (or what I think will be one) instead of a full size. With an enclosed cab & a box a truck just makes more sense.

But would I ever have a full-size? Looking towards retirement there should be a next gen full size then. If I’m spending winters in the desert SW as I plan, and therefore can run around everywhere top off, not to mention having the finances for a 2nd car. Then I”d have a full size.

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I did put in a reservation for a full-size right at the very beginning in the summer of 2020 (Cyber Orange Big Bend 2D) but ended up cancelling because of budget. I realized that I would realistically never afford this vehicle and it wasn't the trim that I would want anyway. Fast forward one year and I would put in an order for a Maverick Lariat. The beauty of it is I'm getting more car for just a couple thousand dollars more than the Bronco. I didn't think I could afford the Maverick but I ended up working with a great sales team at my local dealership with no dealer markups/hidden fees. As a result, I do not regret it in the slightest.

However, the Bronco Sport that my mom currently owns is what she adores. Ever since she laid eyes on one it was love at first sight. Sure, we're both big fans of the full-size Bronco (especially in Cactus Grey or Eruption Green) but they're far too out of reach and have been ever since their debut. It would be nice to get an equivalent Outer Banks full-size Bronco but they're $20-25K more expensive, and that's before the inevitable markups. There's no way we could pull that off. A lot of people can't which is why more and more Broncos are sitting. Plus, thinking about it more, the Bronco Sport is beyond adequate for our needs. It's the perfect size and price and fits the family/cargo very comfortably.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I've got a Superduty F250 Diesel for the heavy work, but as a dailiy driver, the BS is perfect. I find with the price of diesel and the great mileage of the BS, I take the BS on hunts instead of the F250. I have to put a solar panel on the dash of the F250 since I drive it so infrequently.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I wouldn’t and here’s why…

Last night, as I'm starting to get ready for my Mammoth Mountain 4th of July trip, I was thinking about how many miles I have on the car and how many of those have been off road. The reason this came up was because I was looking at youtube videos of trails in the area and wouldn't it be nice if I got a lift and bigger tires etc....

But then I thought to myself, less than 1% of the miles driven on my car have been off road. And it’s my only car. I wanted a car that could do city driving and commuting well and take me to the cool fishing spots. This car does that and does it well. My dogs also adore it.

The big bronco makes a lot of compromises for its off road ability on road. And I've had a jeep wrangler in the past. Its not something I'm wanting to do again. The BroncoSport is very livable every day and its capable off road. No its not as cool as a big bronco and its a jack of all trades sort of vehicle. But it can be my grocery getter and next week I'm going to take it on the the trails and it'll do both perfectly fine.

Now if I had multiple cars, well...I wouldn't have gotten the sport if that was the case. I would have gotten something more capable on the road and more likely than not a truck and lifted that etc.

No doubt it’s a cool car and I see the appeal but it just not for me.

Last edited:

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Granger came through and offered the sport for 6% under invoice
Yes, please! It's a no-brainer!! That's fantastic; especially in this market.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Saw an F150 Raptor in front of me today, and couldn't help but think that if MONEY WAS NO OBJECT (which is an obvious pipe dream), I'd love to lay down on a Bronco Raptor. Just from an engine and performance standpoint, it would be so much fun....even if you don't do HALF the things that you could do with it.

Truth be told, I just wanted a "Bronco"....and it needed to be 4door. I just couldn't stomach the 20K price difference between the cheapest 4door Base Bronco I saw out there, and the BS BL that I ended up purchasing.
I have a BIL who has two F150 Raptors and two Shelby Cobras. And five more Mustangs.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I have a BIL who has two F150 Raptors and two Shelby Cobras. And five more Mustangs.
Yeeeeesh. Two things.

A. I hope he's a "collector" and this is his ONE guilty pleasure.
B. I hope he donates plenty of money to worthy causes.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I've kind of put some thought into this. And here's why I voted Yes.

My history... I've been a car guy for 25+ years. I thought it would be fun to go a little off road but I always thought that meant tearing up some farmer's field. Now I know a bit more about trails and overlanding and it might be a good hobby to get into.

My problem is I'm cheap. This is my first new car since 1999 and the first car I've bought since 2010. But I don't mind putting some money into hobbies if I'm going to benefit it. The other issue is where I live in Texas. There's just not much to do around here other than the beach. And the BS seems to do just fine out there.

I'm happy with my Bronco Sport Big Bend. I might want a different package but I think the trim is good. But if I ever need a larger car or more capability, I would definitely consider the full size Bronco.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
... a highway runner ...
I do a 1,400-mile MA-OBX-MA trip five times a year. My wife does MA-NJ-OBX-VA-NJ-MA twice a year.

17 mpg highway in a full-size Bronce isn't appealing.

I've averaged 33 mpg in my FE for the trip (4 trips), and my wife did 28 mpg for the trip in her BS BL. She did a lot more local driving. My mileage is significantly higher than my '14 FE.

Last edited:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I would consider a full-size, though, as a fun vehicle with a stick. I drove a manual transmission 1983 to 2015.

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew
Interesting post! I have a '22 Big Bend 2 door that I've had for 13 months. Seriously thinking about a '24 OB or BL. The Sport would be much more practical, quieter and would be better for some road trips I want to to.
Sponsored