Moonroof...please explain why you would want one...

garagelogic

Outer Banks
First Name
Brodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Let me begin by saying I have friends and family who will not buy a car that does not have one, but help me understand the usefulness/attraction of the option. To me, it is just another potential source of future issues and seems to be a glorified vent on a vehicle. My wife has owned several cars with this feature and I can't recall any time where I looked up at the sky through it while sitting still, let alone while driving down the road. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Justin

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend + BB
Unless it's panoramic, I don't really see a point in having a moonroof or sunroof. My girlfriend's Tucson has a panoramic sunroof that I adore, but the sport I test drove with a sunroof was kind of underwhelming.

I suppose it's a "to each their own" kind of thing. I definitely wouldn't be paying any extra for a moonroof/sunroof that looks like it's straight out of the 90s though!

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
You're not missing anything. My husband thinks as you do. A hole in the roof can be nothing but trouble. I get one because of my dogs, and dog transporting. It's safer for me to open the moonroof vs windows. I do tether my dogs, but they still try to get to a window. And the back windows in today's cars make the worst thundering noise when open. Other than that? It came in handy once when I locked myself out. ?

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
me personally i'm not a fan of sunroofs nor pano roofs. you can get into some real issues if something breaks, comes loose, etc. had to help a neighbor tarp their tuscon with a pano roof, it wouldnt close and started to rain lol.
also having a rooftop tent on mine, i was afraid i'd be a dummy and drop something on it etc.
i'm a bare bones kinda guy, to each their own.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Let me begin by saying I have friends and family who will not buy a car that does not have one, but help me understand the usefulness/attraction of the option. To me, it is just another potential source of future issues and seems to be a glorified vent on a vehicle. My wife has owned several cars with this feature and I can't recall any time where I looked up at the sky through it while sitting still, let alone while driving down the road. Am I missing something?
Hate having the sun come in from above my glasses. Not worth it for me. I had a car with one, when I sold it the guy asked how to use the sunroof, I had forgotten it had one after 5 years

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hate having the sun come in from above my glasses. Not worth it for me. I had a car with one, when I sold it the guy asked how to use the sunroof, I had forgotten it had one after 5 years
Personally I love mine, it's nice to have when off-roading for natural air flow without having an insane amount of dust getting in the vehicle. Plus having the sun shade makes it so it doesn't really cause any issues when the sun would bother you. Plus when driving down the highway you don't get the wind blowing and whipping your hair and any papers you have in the car going flying. I live in San Diego where it's almost always a good temperature to have the windows open so I do have a slight bias.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Not a fan but I know some people won’t buy a car without one either. Maybe if I was a passenger I would enjoy it more but the side windows work just fine for me.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Some People love Convertibles & they never have issues , right ? My wife likes her BS with the moon Roof , as said , lets in the Sun Shine . I would never own a Convertible , its a security/Safety issue to me, Mon Roof doesn't have that issue .

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
It lets light in. During the winter, that is golden.
And helps warm up the interior. This is the best thing about it.
Although I admit I do like to open it at night. At stop lights you can look up at the stars/moon.

Having said that I would not order one specifically for all of the negatives given above.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I don’t think you’re missing anything. I’ve had 2 vehicles with them now, & they have to be the most useless option ever devised to me. And I like all the options, I’m not a base guy at all. The explorer has what should be an awesome pano roof but I can’t actually see any of it from the driver’s seat. So I leave the shade part open in the false hope that it somehow lets more light into the cabin when in reality all it’s doing is burning my bald scalp. But wait, there’s more! There’s always the stories of glass shattering, of having them get stuck open in the rain. Glad they made it an a la carte option for 22, it was the absolute only thing I skipped on my BL.

BSPittsburgh

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mercury Mariner Premier
Im one of those people who won't order a car without one. I like the extra light, plus I drive a ton on the highway and when you are going 80+ it is nice to have a window option that doesn't murder my ear drums. It's like why leather seats are a must for me, if I am dropping almost 40k on a car I want it to have the bells and whistles...

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had a Civic years ago that had one. I think I used it like 3 or 4 times. Just gets more sun in your eyes. When I heard about the issues with moonroofs delaying orders, it took me about 4 milliseconds to decide I did not need it.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser