Moonroof...please explain why you would want one...

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
All my cars have had a moonroof. Either a moonroof or convertable were at the top of my must have list when I was recently car shopping.
Only one of my cars had a moonroof drain clog and leak.. and that wasn't until I had owned the car for 10 years.
Crazy enough, I'm testing my gS mileage right now, and my gas Mileage is currently better when I use my moonroof vs my AC. I don't understand it, still testing.

I love the light and the wind, and as someone stated above, it's better safety and security than a soft top convertable.

All that said, I'm glad the is the option and they don't just stick them on all the cars like some makes and models do. And I'm glad ford has the full shade cover to pull over to block the sun and heat when wanted. I can't stand the moonroofs and panorama that at most have a screen and some have nothing.
Sponsored

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Let me begin by saying I have friends and family who will not buy a car that does not have one, but help me understand the usefulness/attraction of the option. To me, it is just another potential source of future issues and seems to be a glorified vent on a vehicle. My wife has owned several cars with this feature and I can't recall any time where I looked up at the sky through it while sitting still, let alone while driving down the road. Am I missing something?
Agree, some are close to 2000.00 option as well. There have been several shatter for no apparent reason. I can think of many better upgrades I could do for 2000.00. My BL has one as I bought it off the lot that way.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Look at it as just another open window that happens to be on the roof, I happen to like mine very much, it was on the list when I was looking for a Bronco Sport. Could I due without it ??? I don’t have an answer for that. I’ve had vehicles with an without a moonroof. I’ve never had a problem with one. Maybe just lucky I guess. Good luck In whatever you decide to do.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
It's a $1,600 option on an Escape. That's a fair percentage of the total price of a vehicle that stickers in the 30s! Didn't order it on my '22. Never used it on my '14. Added weight way up high, too.

My wife didn't order it on her BL. Never used it on her '12 FE Limited Hybrid.

Scott_Anderson_

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Cactus Gray
I’m fairly certain the moonroof is attached to the premium package on the BL. I wanted the leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, (questionably) premium sound system, etc., so I ended up with a moonroof too. It was the same story with my Explorer Sport.

I don’t think you can get the moonroof a-la-carte, but maybe someone else can clarify.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I’m fairly certain the moonroof is attached to the premium package on the BL. I wanted the leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, (questionably) premium sound system, etc., so I ended up with a moonroof too. It was the same story with my Explorer Sport.

I don’t think you can get the moonroof a-la-carte, but maybe someone else can clarify.
It’s a la carte. You can get premium without it.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Crazy enough, I'm testing my gS mileage right now, and my gas Mileage is currently better when I use my moonroof vs my AC. I don't understand it, still testing.
Seems like simple physics/aerodynamics. Vertical windows down creates drag; horizontal window, aka moonroof, doesn't have the same dynamics. AC always draws gas when running. Moonroof may cause less drag and therefore not use as much as to overcome the drag. Side note: all the above decrease efficiency of gas mileage but one may be less than the others.