Issues with wireless charging pad?

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
There is clearly an issue with the wireless charging pads Ford uses and the newer iPhones with Magsafe.

It's not as much as an issue in the BS since it doesn't have wireless Carplay IMO.
It's weird as Apple's site claims the 12 and 13 are compatible with MagSafe AND Qi.
Sponsored

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
It's weird as Apple's site claims the 12 and 13 are compatible with MagSafe AND Qi.
I have a non-Magsafe charger I sometimes use at home. It works fine with my 13, regardless of what case I have on.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
I am having no issues with a Motorola Edge Plus 2022, even with a case on. Although its a very simple clear case.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I am having no issues with a Motorola Edge Plus 2022, even with a case on. Although its a very simple clear case.
The problem seem to be combined to Apple Iphones 12+

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I have a non-Magsafe charger I sometimes use at home. It works fine with my 13, regardless of what case I have on.
I don't disagree there as I have the same. I merely say that as Ford says the issue is with with Apple not using a charging system compatible with the Ford wireless charger.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I don't disagree there as I have the same. I merely say that as Ford says the issue is with with Apple not using a charging system compatible with the Ford wireless charger.
I have a 13 Pro with an Apple leather magsafe compatible case, no issues with using the charging pad except when it slides a bit (so the coils don't line up)

LoveIsLife

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Big Bend
iPhone 12 mini. South Texas, after a long hot day, putting my phone on charging pad then making a call my phone would often shut down saying temperature/too hot. I have switched to center console wired charging if I really need my phone to juice. If I’m just running around doing errands and have decent battery I might toss it on the one charging pad. It does seem for me to go in/out of charging and is a trickle charge. It also seems to get really hot. So I don’t use it as my primary charging.
I'm in the Houston area and have same issue. When using the charging pad, more times than not I get the phone shutting down due to temperature/too hot. Between that and it's very slow charging, I've switched to USB when I need it charged.

dieu

Big Bend
First Name
dieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone had issues with the wireless charger in their BS? The wireless charging works, but the notification saying "wireless charging activated" pops up every minute or so while charging. I have an iPhone 12 and read somewhere that it could be interference caused by the magsafe/magsafe case but not sure.
I thought I was the only one experiencing this! Like the rear tailgate bottle opener, the design of the wireless charging pad was poorly engineered. I stopped using this maddening feature due to the constant 'misalignment' interruptions, on the display. This became a huge distraction while driving. No matter where I positioned the device in the oversized bay, it lost its connection from any trivial vibration during driving. The Ford Owner’s Manual reads that “interruptions could occur if the device is misaligned on the charging area” and or “if the device moves on the active charging area when the vehicle is in motion.” However, when the vehicle is parked, the device functions as expected! It is astounding that Ford failed to account for normal vibration when the vehicle is in motion. My device is an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the Apple Leather MagSafe Case. I believe the problem is that the charging surface is not non-slip, which causes substantial shifting in an already oversized surface area.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I thought I was the only one experiencing this! Like the rear tailgate bottle opener, the design of the wireless charging pad was poorly engineered. I stopped using this maddening feature due to the constant 'misalignment' interruptions, on the display. This became a huge distraction while driving. No matter where I positioned the device in the oversized bay, it lost its connection from any trivial vibration during driving. The Ford Owner’s Manual reads that “interruptions could occur if the device is misaligned on the charging area” and or “if the device moves on the active charging area when the vehicle is in motion.” However, when the vehicle is parked, the device functions as expected! It is astounding that Ford failed to account for normal vibration when the vehicle is in motion. My device is an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the Apple Leather MagSafe Case. I believe the problem is that the charging surface is not non-slip, which causes substantial shifting in an already oversized surface area.
Interesting ...I have a 13 Pro Max as well and mine doesn't charge for longer than 30 seconds. It then 'disconnects' for 30 seconds then starts charging again. This cycle goes on and on.

There's multiple car forums (F-150, Mach E, Bronco, etc ...) with this issue. Initially, at least for the Mach E, they said the WACM needed an update. Ultimately, they released a TSB stating do NOT do any repair work. See if a Qi-enabled device works. If so, the end.

dieu

Big Bend
First Name
dieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is interesting. Apple (MagSafe), Samsung, Google, etc., are Qi wireless charging certified. Does Ford’s solution meet Qi certification? What wattage, i.e., 5, 10, or 15 does the Sport base transmit? According to Qi, the charge distance is limited to 4 centimeters. My iPhone 13 Max vibrates and slides all over the place. It’s simply an ill-fitting cradle for my device. Also, according to Qi certification, “the device needs to be placed directly on, or magnetically attached.” Further, Qi states that “…they must lie stationary on the charging pad.”

Qi requirements do not seem to correspond too well to the environmental factors within the Sport. It seems, the ideal environment is 15 W of uninterrupted connection of 4 cm or less. However, the Sport pad is not magnetic, devices are seldom stationary and slide around with great frequency due to environmental factors, i.e., vibration, uneven pavement, acceleration, deceleration, turns, etc.

An option could be to offer an OEM insert to match the specific device make/model. Alternatively, a DIY idea would be to replace the stock rubber liner with a thin custom fitted (cut to size) anti-slip silicone gel pad. This material can be purchased in larger pieces.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The only difference between Qi and MagSafe is the magnet and metal ring for the magnet. MagSafe is Qi with an extra feature. Trying to say that MagSafe is not Qi compatible is insanity. You can put a MagSafe phone on a Qi charger and it will charge. You can lay a Qi phone on a MagSafe charger and it will charge.

Scottie137

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Assuming there is no way to “turn off” the wireless charging pad other than going into the center console and disconnecting it? Also, has anyone come out with a rubberized overlay that would prevent the phone from seeing the charger to avoid the disconnection issues?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I see an opportunity for someone to 3D print inserts that hold the phone in the right location on the charging pad. It would only need to be about 1/2 the thickness of the phone. Of course there are a lot of variables for phone model and then the cases that everyone throws on. I'm still about 6 weeks from having a BS but I do have a 3D scanner that would give a decent model of the charging area. I don't have a 3D printer but I could use one at work if I buy my own material of course.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I see an opportunity for someone to 3D print inserts that hold the phone in the right location on the charging pad. It would only need to be about 1/2 the thickness of the phone. Of course there are a lot of variables for phone model and then the cases that everyone throws on. I'm still about 6 weeks from having a BS but I do have a 3D scanner that would give a decent model of the charging area. I don't have a 3D printer but I could use one at work if I buy my own material of course.
Eric, If you scan it and send me the stl file, I'll print it out of dark gray ABS for you to test.

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
This is interesting. Apple (MagSafe), Samsung, Google, etc., are Qi wireless charging certified. Does Ford’s solution meet Qi certification? What wattage, i.e., 5, 10, or 15 does the Sport base transmit? According to Qi, the charge distance is limited to 4 centimeters. My iPhone 13 Max vibrates and slides all over the place. It’s simply an ill-fitting cradle for my device. Also, according to Qi certification, “the device needs to be placed directly on, or magnetically attached.” Further, Qi states that “…they must lie stationary on the charging pad.”

Qi requirements do not seem to correspond too well to the environmental factors within the Sport. It seems, the ideal environment is 15 W of uninterrupted connection of 4 cm or less. However, the Sport pad is not magnetic, devices are seldom stationary and slide around with great frequency due to environmental factors, i.e., vibration, uneven pavement, acceleration, deceleration, turns, etc.

An option could be to offer an OEM insert to match the specific device make/model. Alternatively, a DIY idea would be to replace the stock rubber liner with a thin custom fitted (cut to size) anti-slip silicone gel pad. This material can be purchased in larger pieces.
I wonder if charging would work if one placed one of those sticky mats used for putting a radar detector on the dash in the cradle to prevent movement.? I have an iPhone 8+. I’ve only tried to charge once. When I picked it up later, it was so hot it startled me, and I didn’t check to see if it actually charged. I’m just going to use a cord for any needed charging.
Sponsored