OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
fuse 3 has an issue where when the autostop kicks in at a traffic light, it cuts power to the circuit to the dashcam....I need to find a different fuse to tap
I am an Outer Banks trim
I can't see my cam behind the mirror so I haven't noticed it switching off and on. I'll have to watch for that next time I drive it. I wonder why the manual says 3 is not used if it's part of another circuit?
I added a timed auto off switch for my UHF radio with a direct connection to the battery. If 3 isn't going to work I might add my small amp accessories to that switch. If they don't cause interference anyways.
Sponsored

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I can't see my cam behind the mirror so I haven't noticed it switching off and on. I'll have to watch for that next time I drive it. I wonder why the manual says 3 is not used if it's part of another circuit?
I added a timed auto off switch for my UHF radio with a direct connection to the battery. If 3 isn't going to work I might add my small amp accessories to that switch. If they don't cause interference anyways.
I didn't notice it at first, but it does power back on when the engine re-engages, so I am hoping others have found a different circuit that stays on with the accy mode, and not interupted by auto-stop.
I will try 24 next as an "always on" as my cam has the parking mode with timeout.
I am using a DOD Rx8w

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Let me know if you found a different fuse number that works. I'm looking for one that is switched off when the engine is off (but is still live during Autostop at a traffic light). Thanks.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know if you found a different fuse number that works. I'm looking for one that is switched off when the engine is off (but is still live during Autostop at a traffic light). Thanks.
I might try 17 if it's accessible. It's listed as "SYNC. Receiver transceiver module. Integrated control panel". Since the radio Infotainment system stays on with auto stop this should work for us. Only problem is it may be an always on circuit for the Ford Pass/Sync system and not the power for the head unit alone.

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Fuse 17 was "hot" all the time and therefore did not work for me, as I wanted a "switched" fuse. Same result with Fuse 10. I ended up using Micro3 type fuses 1 & 2, which are switched on when the vehicle is running or in accessory mode, and off otherwise. I had to purchase a Micro3 "add-a-fuse" to make this work (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB2V542/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1). I tried using a Micro2 "add-a-fuse" in fuse position #2, but it would not physically install since it comes off at a right angle and the right-angled part is too low relative to the Micro3 fuses adjacent to it, i.e., a physical interference. But a Micro3 add-a-fuse was the same height as the adjacent Micro3 fuses so the right-angled top of it was above the adjacent fuses. Also, I verified that power is NOT cut to Fuses 1 & 2 when the engine stop/start cuts off the engine, ans was mentioned in this thread earlier for Fuse 3.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fuse 17 was "hot" all the time and therefore did not work for me, as I wanted a "switched" fuse. Same result with Fuse 10. I ended up using Micro3 type fuses 1 & 2, which are switched on when the vehicle is running or in accessory mode, and off otherwise. I had to purchase a Micro3 "add-a-fuse" to make this work (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB2V542/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1). I tried using a Micro2 "add-a-fuse" in fuse position #2, but it would not physically install since it comes off at a right angle and the right-angled part is too low relative to the Micro3 fuses adjacent to it, i.e., a physical interference. But a Micro3 add-a-fuse was the same height as the adjacent Micro3 fuses so the right-angled top of it was above the adjacent fuses. Also, I verified that power is NOT cut to Fuses 1 & 2 when the engine stop/start cuts off the engine, ans was mentioned in this thread earlier for Fuse 3.
Thanks! I just ordered the micro-3 tap for 1-2 fuse.

willyt76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So have y'all gotten everything wired up the way you wanted it? Adding dash cams to mine this summer when it comes in, just planning ahead. What fuses did you all settle on?

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Your welcome. I hope I can help prevent smoky mistakes . I'm unfortunately an accessory addict so I've done this too many times.

My motorcycle has 8 USB and 3 - 12 volt taps for crap (accessories) for my cross country rides.

I'm trying to get help.

Sorry if you answered this already, but I am trying to wire a radar detector that is mounted on the rear view mirror. Any suggestions on how to hide wires that would lead there? I am using slot 1-2.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if you answered this already, but I am trying to wire a radar detector that is mounted on the rear view mirror. Any suggestions on how to hide wires that would lead there? I am using slot 1-2.
I ran power from the fuse block, under the dash, along the passenger door seal, then along the A column trim and then along windshield trim to mirror. Most of the interior trim can be pried apart enough to get smaller gauged wires hidden. I used a nylon bike tire change tool so I didn't damage the trim

The shortest route is buy a power adapter that draws power from the mirror itself (automatic dimmer). Like this: Adapter.

I haven't used one of these but if I have to install again I would try it.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Get a set of these for $12 bucks or so. Super easy to use prying trim panels off.

Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Set [Non Marring and No Scratch] Auto Trim Kit for Easy Removal of Car Door Panels, Fasteners, Molding, Dashboards and Wheel Hubs, 5 PCS

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I ran power from the fuse block, under the dash, along the passenger door seal, then along the A column trim and then along windshield trim to mirror. Most of the interior trim can be pried apart enough to get smaller gauged wires hidden. I used a nylon bike tire change tool so I didn't damage the trim

The shortest route is buy a power adapter that draws power from the mirror itself (automatic dimmer). Like this: Adapter.

I haven't used one of these but if I have to install again I would try it.
this might be worth investigation as the simplest way to do it...

zach

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Anyone had any luck with the power adapter to set up a dashcam or radar detector? My project for this weekend probably is going to be to install my blackvue dual channel dashcam. I got my micro 3 fuse and everything so might just end up running the wires under the interior trim.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
So after reading all of these posts, I will just neatly hide the wiring and use the cigarette lighter as it does not shut off. ahahahaha

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
You might want to purchase a low voltage cut of device if you want to use your dash cam in parking mode, otherwise you may wind up with a dead battery.
Sponsored