Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!!

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon
So it’s 12:21pm. The temp outside is 70degrees. The Bronco has not been driven for 2 days. I walk out to get in it, and the LED lights fans are on. WTF? A few weeks ago I got a brand new battery from my local dealer because the old battery could not keep a charge, and I would have to jump start it. They said the charging system had a “bad ground”. So that ruined the battery? I don’t think so. I suspect parasitic drain.
Sponsored

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the car was off and the hood was open after i washed it to dry the top of the fenders!!The neighbor guy across the street and my brother were looking at the engine since it's a 3 cylinder!!The neighbor felt the headlight assembly and said it's vibrating!!And with your head by the headlight assembly you could hear the faint sounds of the fans running on both sides!!It did this the entire time the hood was open!!Shut the hood and they quit running a little while after the hood was shut!!My niece googled it on her cell phone and it said they were fan cooled!!
You have “faint sound” from yours? Mine is easily heard just by walking past the front of the BS. You’re lucky.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
So it’s 12:21pm. The temp outside is 70degrees. The Bronco has not been driven for 2 days. I walk out to get in it, and the LED lights fans are on. WTF? A few weeks ago I got a brand new battery from my local dealer because the old battery could not keep a charge, and I would have to jump start it. They said the charging system had a “bad ground”. So that ruined the battery? I don’t think so. I suspect parasitic drain.
When you unlock the car it turns on all kinds of stuff. Did you unlock it on your walk out to it?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
There's no way to know of course, but it could have been a bad ground. There have been several reports of the ground/neg(-) cable connection on the fender being loose.

Or, perhaps more likely, they may have meant the alternator (what they call the generator). See lower left, circled in GREEN:

Ford Bronco Sport Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!! 1709670493292

The battery and its ground cable are shown above as well, labeled "G100 -- 10-1"

It is shown here, in this photo:

Ford Bronco Sport Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!! 1709670742434

I'm not saying that it was not the headlight cooling fans or some other load that killed the battery -- it may have been -- just that a bad ground is a possible culprit.

Parasitic loads are definitely a problem with the BS -- in fact, I have a Battery Tender (BT) connected to our BS BL as I type this. It's going on 2 years old, and the battery (FLA not AGM) is doing OK, but that's not saying much.

The battery in our '97 RAV4 is eight (8) years old and still holding a decent charge (it settles at about 12.3V or 70% SOC). I use a BT on it (and all of our vehicles).

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no way to know of course, but it could have been a bad ground. There have been several reports of the ground/neg(-) cable connection on the fender being loose.

Or, perhaps more likely, they may have meant the alternator (what they call the generator). See lower left, circled in GREEN:

Ford Bronco Sport Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!! 1709670493292

The battery and its ground cable are shown above as well, labeled "G100 -- 10-1"

It is shown here, in this photo:

Ford Bronco Sport Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!! 1709670742434

I'm not saying that it was not the headlight cooling fans or some other load that killed the battery -- it may have been -- just that a bad ground is a possible culprit.

Parasitic loads are definitely a problem with the BS -- in fact, I have a Battery Tender (BT) connected to our BS BL as I type this. It's going on 2 years old, and the battery (FLA not AGM) is doing OK, but that's not saying much.

The battery in our '97 RAV4 is eight (8) years old and still holding a decent charge (it settles at about 12.3V or 70% SOC). I use a BT on it (and all of our vehicles).
Thanks for the info. The “bad battery” not being charged properly, and causing it to fail, is what I was suspicious of. I failed to mention that, after leaving the dealer service with the the new battery installed, the car had a charging error not 10 minutes after leaving. I immediately took it back. After diagnosing the problem, that’s when they told me the problem was a “grounding” issue. Regardless, I think I’ll keep a trickle charger on it, like you. I’m already used to packing a digital Jump Starter. Cheers!

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you unlock the car it turns on all kinds of stuff. Did you unlock it on your walk out to it?
No. It was already unlocked. Maybe the keyfob triggered it. I’ll investigate that soon. I do know that my BS-BL makes a lot of sounds upon entry. Systems booting up, I guess. It just seems normal now.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
No. It was already unlocked. Maybe the keyfob triggered it. I’ll investigate that soon. I do know that my BS-BL makes a lot of sounds upon entry. Systems booting up, I guess. It just seems normal now.
I'm not aware of any setting that allows the fob to unlock the vehicle on proximity alone. If the car is locked, you have the fob on your person, and you have Intelligent Access configured, the car will unlock when you put a finger inside the driver's door handle. The only other ways to unlock (that I'm aware of) is to press the unlock button on the fob, enter the correct code on the Securilock panel (if equipped), or use the FordPass App.

EDITED: You may also use the FordPass App to unlock.

Last edited:

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm not aware of any setting that allows the fob to unlock the vehicle on proximity alone. If the car is locked, you have the fob on your person, and you have Intelligent Access configured, the car will unlock when you put a finger inside the driver's door handle. The only other ways to unlock (that I'm aware of) is to press the unlock button on the fob, enter the correct code on the Securilock panel (if equipped), or use the FordPass App.

EDITED: You may also use the FordPass App to unlock.
It sounds like what Brian is saying is that the BS was never locked, He walked out to it and the fans for the headlight were already running without him triggering anything by unlocking a door.

It seems like the BS detects when the key fob is close and will start activating different relays that you can here clicking when close to the vehicle.
When I wash mine I have to do so with the keyfob a good distance away and not in my pocket or else it is just an endless amount of clicking sounds and the headlight fans turn on also.

Mike_n_Texas

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
It sounds like what Brian is saying is that the BS was never locked, He walked out to it and the fans for the headlight were already running without him triggering anything by unlocking a door.

It seems like the BS detects when the key fob is close and will start activating different relays that you can here clicking when close to the vehicle.
When I wash mine I have to do so with the keyfob a good distance away and not in my pocket or else it is just an endless amount of clicking sounds and the headlight fans turn on also.
You guys are washing your cars?

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I failed in trying to articulate it. Thanks, man!

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)