How much of a difference does Eco mode make?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Read up on my replies, I posted a photo ad well.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Tire pressure will also affect mpg, since I do a lot of highway driving I like to keep the tires aired up to 40 psi. The firmer tire rolls with less resistance, I also use ECO mode while driving on the highway.
That pressure will wear your tires out faster.

Reactions: Jrl

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Forgot to mention, Eco mode makes my engine feel like itā€™s a two cylinder and needs a tune up. I donā€™t use it much unless Iā€™m puttering around town.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I know the Bronco Sport adjusts power output to the rear as needed, but does using eco mode use front wheel drive only?

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
On the badlands from what I gather the driving modes change the shifting points and engine rpms. on some of the modes it tells the Dana rear end microprocessors what to do. Eco mode it makes the mapping of the gas pedal less responsive, so your not mushing the pedal and sacrificing mpg. The three cylinder is 20% more economical and 20% less performance šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø So I would rather have the extra horsepower šŸ“ for towing and The dual vectoring rear axle for off-roading and use eco mode to get an extra 1-2 mpg out of the engine. I previously owned a Prius for 6 years and 227k miles and that got 40-50 mpg as a rule. So the eco mode is not much of a game changer, more of a drive slow mode at $6 a gallon in California

brianloch1974

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Obviously gas is expensive so using eco mode makes sense, but how much of a difference does it make? I've been poking around reading about it and haven't really found any good estimations. My current understanding is that it is engine mapping and reduces throttle, is that it?

Does it make an appreciable MPG difference?
It will get you killed trying to pull out in heavy traffic. Not much difference in mpg.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes my 1.5L feel like it needs a tune up, no thanks.
I have used Sport a few times to spank Subarus and Toyota Rav 4ā€™s.
I love it when they see me gaining on them and they punch it.
And nothing happens, :ā€™P
I hope they know they got spanked by a THREE Banger !

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yea itā€™s just engine mapping. If your highway miles include stop and go traffic, and I apparently forgot thatā€™s not normal everywhere, then no it doesnā€™t help at all.

Like cruising on I-70 in western Kansas it wonā€™t help a bit. Being stuck on any number of highways on the east and west coast it will but Iā€™m not sure by how much.
Itā€™s not just engine mapping, itā€™s also cylinder deactivation and will absolutely make a difference when cruising on the highway.
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/when-does-cylinder-deactivation-occur-with-1-5l-engine.6192/

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Obviously gas is expensive so using eco mode makes sense, but how much of a difference does it make? I've been poking around reading about it and haven't really found any good estimations. My current understanding is that it is engine mapping and reduces throttle, is that it?

Does it make an appreciable MPG difference?
It wonā€™t be much, a few miles per gallon, but it adds up. Eco mode uses cylinder deactivation under certain circumstances, such as highway cruising.
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/when-does-cylinder-deactivation-occur-with-1-5l-engine.6192/

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That article does not reference the Bronco Sport, which uses cylinder deactivation when cruising.
The 1.5L Dragon engine utilizes cylinder deactivation during cruise whether or not the driver has selected ECO mode. It would be illogical for a manufacturer intent on designing an engine for maximum fuel economy to require the driver to manually activate the engine control strategies that produce it.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/when-does-cylinder-deactivation-occur-with-1-5l-engine.6192/post-106553

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I switched from Normal to Eco for the last month and I'm getting about 2 miles per gallon extra.

Not much but I'll take it..... :beer:
I did this and got 1.5 mpg better but only in town.
And only if I slow poked it :ā€™P
I donā€™t like driving a car that feels like it needs a tuneup.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I did this and got 1.5 mpg better but only in town.
And only if I slow poked it :ā€™P
I donā€™t like driving a car that feels like it needs a tuneup.
I messed around today with it more than normal because of some discussions on the forum. No thanks. Iā€™m fine in normal mode. I also was checking the sport mode for the piped in V8 sound as reported on this forum. I couldnā€™t hear it but Iā€™ve driven V8ā€™s for a long time and never a Prius so perhaps my idea of what a V8 should sound like is different than others or perhaps my hearing sucks and itā€™s not a headered V8!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cutlass Olds 442,
Ford 302,
The Windsor and Cleveland blocks,
Mopar 318 & 340
Chevelle 327 badge on the fender and a 396 under the hood.
Iā€™m old and forget but I think it was a Delta 88 with a 455
The L82,
The Muscle cars,
Now Iā€™m in a three banger, LoL
And happy.
But I remember.
Sponsored