How much of a difference does Eco mode make?

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I always thought that ECO mode reduced the input sensitivity of the gas pedal, since the computer controls the throttle.
Yea it’s just engine mapping. If your highway miles include stop and go traffic, and I apparently forgot that’s not normal everywhere, then no it doesn’t help at all.

Like cruising on I-70 in western Kansas it won’t help a bit. Being stuck on any number of highways on the east and west coast it will but I’m not sure by how much.
Sponsored

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I've been testing the modes now for 4 months and come to conclusion that the most mpg gain is a combination of driving inputs and settings.
I'm in Southern Florida so my test track is basically flat as a table everywhere. I'm no more than 50' above sea level and that is only on freeway over ramps. The rest of the time about 10' above sea level. The biggest consistent Freeway mpg I get is using cruise control as much as I can in Normal mode. With CC set in Intelligent Mode I'm getting 33-34 hwy. However this feels painfully slow when half the drivers are blowing by 10 or 20 over but I've noticed the other half are actually doing the same as me. That way I dont feel so bad driving like im going to a funeral. Using Adaptive Cruise in Normal Mode set 10 over my mpg drops to 31-32 mpg. This is more inline with my driving style.
For city driving I use Eco Mode exclusively as well as Auto Stop. Between the two settings I generally get 28 to 31 depending on how heavy traffic is and distance between lights. I have briefly touched 35 mpg a couple of times on the Freeway but rhere must of been a good tailwind helping to get that. In Sport Mode I don't even care, feels good to burn the cob webs out now and then. All in all I'm impressed with this kind of mpg.
I've done a couple of easy mods that may have helped a little. Major mod was dueling off the exhaust, second was changing out the the air filter to a K&N filter. I also use full synthetic oil with a oil additive and lastly run 87 octane with a fuel additive. Out of those four the exhaust mod was the most noticeable in mileage gain, second is the fuel additive.
Well that's the long version, if there is anything else I find to squeeze another mile out of a gallon of gas I'll let you all know.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I've been testing the modes now for 4 months and come to conclusion that the most mpg gain is a combination of driving inputs and settings.
I'm in Southern Florida so my test track is basically flat as a table everywhere. I'm no more than 50' above sea level and that is only on freeway over ramps. The rest of the time about 10' above sea level. The biggest consistent Freeway mpg I get is using cruise control as much as I can in Normal mode. With CC set in Intelligent Mode I'm getting 33-34 hwy. However this feels painfully slow when half the drivers are blowing by 10 or 20 over but I've noticed the other half are actually doing the same as me. That way I dont feel so bad driving like im going to a funeral. Using Adaptive Cruise in Normal Mode set 10 over my mpg drops to 31-32 mpg. This is more inline with my driving style.
For city driving I use Eco Mode exclusively as well as Auto Stop. Between the two settings I generally get 28 to 31 depending on how heavy traffic is and distance between lights. I have briefly touched 35 mpg a couple of times on the Freeway but rhere must of been a good tailwind helping to get that. In Sport Mode I don't even care, feels good to burn the cob webs out now and then. All in all I'm impressed with this kind of mpg.
I've done a couple of easy mods that may have helped a little. Major mod was dueling off the exhaust, second was changing out the the air filter to a K&N filter. I also use full synthetic oil with a oil additive and lastly run 87 octane with a fuel additive. Out of those four the exhaust mod was the most noticeable in mileage gain, second is the fuel additive.
Well that's the long version, if there is anything else I find to squeeze another mile out of a gallon of gas I'll let you all know.
Thanks for that in-depth report , really grate information . Can you be more specific on exactly what was done to your exhaust . Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Ford Bronco Sport How much of a difference does Eco mode make? FF5F8DD6-7006-4839-9655-20A64443D1E3

Ford Bronco Sport How much of a difference does Eco mode make? 414B1D32-5A16-4455-8C3E-C326D4F4481D

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Thanks for that in-depth report , really grate information . Can you be more specific on exactly what was done to your exhaust . Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Ford Bronco Sport How much of a difference does Eco mode make? FF5F8DD6-7006-4839-9655-20A64443D1E3

Ford Bronco Sport How much of a difference does Eco mode make? 414B1D32-5A16-4455-8C3E-C326D4F4481D
I installed two Vibrant Resonators where the OEM muffler is located. The sound is awesome, a low growl, no drone and not distracting in any way.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I always thought that ECO mode reduced the input sensitivity of the gas pedal, since the computer controls the throttle.
It does. Reducing throttle response means you must step on the pedal harder than you would in NORMAL mode to accelerate at the same rate. The idea is to make it more likely you will accelerate more slowly because doing so uses less gas. ECO mode also alters shift points to keep RPM as low as possible, because all other things being equal the lower the engine RPM the less fuel it burns.

But neither of those matter when cruising on the highway because you are (generally) not accelerating and you are already in the highest gear.

I tend to agree with the authors of the article I linked to; I wouldn't use ECO mode on the highway. In ECO mode the cruise control will likely lose more speed going up hills, and when you need power on the highway--as in a passing situation--you need it immediately.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I installed two Vibrant Resonators where the OEM muffler is located. The sound is awesome, a low growl, no drone and not distracting in any way.
Any chance for a sound video .? Thanks

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I tried a couple of times using my phone. The recording is not remotely close to the actual soun.. not sure why.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Like cruising on I-70 in western Kansas it won’t help a bit. Being stuck on any number of highways on the east and west coast it will but I’m not sure by how much.
Check out the article I linked to at Consumer Reports. Their testing showed that ECO mode doesn't improve fuel economy if you want to keep up with stop & go traffic. If you accelerate lazily in stop & go traffic it helps, but you're likely to get run over (or shot in some places). If you are accelerating at the same rate as traffic all ECO mode does is make you step harder on the pedal to get the power you need.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Check out the article I linked to at Consumer Reports. Their testing showed that ECO mode doesn't improve fuel economy if you want to keep up with stop & go traffic. If you accelerate lazily in stop & go traffic it helps, but you're likely to get run over (or shot in some places). If you are accelerating at the same rate as traffic all ECO mode does is make you step harder on the pedal to get the power you need.
I agree 100% with that assessment. A case for Eco Mode is to be aware of one's own driving habits with the benefit of technology helping a bit.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The Vibrant stainless steel resonators are 2.25 inch, purchased on Amazon for $120 each, now they are $110 each. I also purchased a manufactured Y, two 90s and two 3" ceramic coated tips. I would have never guessed a 3 cylinder engine could sound so good, on par with a 4 cylinder. Definitely sets it apart from other Broncos.

Ford Bronco Sport How much of a difference does Eco mode make? 20220324_191559

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
1.5L only made a +0.3 mpg difference. I do 95% highway driving.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I just completed another weekly test. After filling up the tank and resetting the odometer my range is 487 miles based on the previous week of driving. I usually fill up with less than 50 miles to go to get a more accurate reading. Doing the math by hand the numbers almost match.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My 1.5L gained .05 and I drive easy up in the Appalachian mountains. I toggled Eco and set the cruise control where I run on The rolling hill four lane at about 55-65 mph
Yep that’s what we call it,
The Four lane.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
My 1.5L gained .05 and I drive easy up in the Appalachian mountains. I toggled Eco and set the cruise control where I run on The rolling hill four lane at about 55-65 mph
Yep that’s what we call it,
The Four lane.
That’s kinda what I do. I’m at around 3k elevation and commute down to 1k elevation. On the way down I typically drive a little faster 75-80 and on the way up I’ll set cruise control to 70.
Sponsored