How does the Bronco Sport compare to the new CR-Vs?

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I had been a Honda guy for maybe the last 15 years or so. I like what they do, fit and finish, all that. But I was driving a car.

I toyed with getting a Passport but didn't really like it. I was going back to the Accord and test drove a Bronco Sport. I bought it an hour later.

Now, so far, I'm loving it. But I can tell the difference in quality and seeing posts about more quality issues make me wonder if I might end up back with a Honda after this one. I am liking the capabilities of the BS and feel like I might get into overlanding vs rock crawling/mudding/other heavy duty off roading.

Would a CR-V be good for something like this? Who knows if the BS or CR-V would even be on the market in the next 5-10 years but this was just something I was thinking about earlier today.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I'm a Honda guy too and was looking at the Passport Elite. I love the size and retro style of the BS. I like the CR-V. It's here to stay. A great vehicle but not for me.
The jury is still out on whether I made the right choice.

Oh and definitely no rock climbing, heavy duty offroad etc with a CV.

SeaJay

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Sport, Area 51, Hitch, Assist++
That was exactly the choice we had to make. If you are not seriously off-roading the Hybrid CRV is clearly the “wise” choice. It’s what we should have bought. But our hearts won in the end. 5,000 miles in and no regrets.

Last edited:

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely no comparison (in my mind) in the looks department. Unless, of course, you're a jelly bean fan:

Ford Bronco Sport How does the Bronco Sport compare to the new CR-Vs? 26833626_web1_TSR-2022-Honda-CR-V-Hybrid_front

Ford Bronco Sport How does the Bronco Sport compare to the new CR-Vs? Article_170499_860_575
That's the last gen CR-V. Though, the two are not in the same class. The CR-v will definitely have fewer problems than the BS and the resale value will be greater.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's the last gen CR-V. Though, the two are not in the same class. The CR-v will definitely have fewer problems than the BS and the resale value will be greater.
Yeah, but what about the looks? I can't drive jelly beans no more...

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but what about the looks? I can't drive jelly beans no more...
Not for me. The Passport is for me. I love the size, quality and the V6.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Absolutely no comparison (in my mind) in the looks department. Unless, of course, you're a jelly bean fan:

Ford Bronco Sport How does the Bronco Sport compare to the new CR-Vs? 26833626_web1_TSR-2022-Honda-CR-V-Hybrid_front

Ford Bronco Sport How does the Bronco Sport compare to the new CR-Vs? Article_170499_860_575
I traded in my 2019 Jeep Cherokee with about 15k miles for my BS. I've had several Jeeps, the last one was the Liberty, and they looked like Jeeps. The Cherokee was a good car but looked almost exactly like my wife's Subaru Outback. I saw a Bronco Sport in a supermarket parking lot and it was love at first sight. I've had my Big Bend for over a year and no regrets. In addition to appearance, it has more bells and whistles than the Jeep ever had.

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
I had been a Honda guy for maybe the last 15 years or so. I like what they do, fit and finish, all that. But I was driving a car.

I toyed with getting a Passport but didn't really like it. I was going back to the Accord and test drove a Bronco Sport. I bought it an hour later.

Now, so far, I'm loving it. But I can tell the difference in quality and seeing posts about more quality issues make me wonder if I might end up back with a Honda after this one. I am liking the capabilities of the BS and feel like I might get into overlanding vs rock crawling/mudding/other heavy duty off roading.

Would a CR-V be good for something like this? Who knows if the BS or CR-V would even be on the market in the next 5-10 years but this was just something I was thinking about earlier today.
Keep it and continue to fall in love. Like many things the negatives seem to be reported far more than the good. I was a Toyota/Nissan guy for 20 years and switched 1 year ago to my BS. So far ... 10k later zero issues and the most fun and enjoyable vehicle I've even owned!

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
We bought new 2009 Pilot Touring then later new 2014 CRV EXL w/nav. Sold the CRV for the Bronco Sport. CRV had the unfixable grind on start timing chain issue but problem free otherwise. Overall the Hondas we had were good. But Honda doesn't have anything comparable to Badlands Sport with its 2.0 turbo. I wanted the boxy styling and power.

Honda has their share of lemons. 2015 and 2017 CRVs high lemon rates. When they first put 9 speed autos in Pilots trans failures galore and took Honda years to sort it out. Certain year Civics, like 2013, I believe, have been on Consumer Reports do not recommend list. That just tip of iceberg for Honda problems too. We once had a 2006 Civic with the common cracked engine block issue. Just go to any Honda forum you'll see a shit ton of of ppl having issues. Ppl who think Honda never has defects are uninformed and damn lucky they never had that experience.

But Honda resale hands down can not beat it.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We bought new 2009 Pilot Touring then later new 2014 CRV EXL w/nav. Sold the CRV for the Bronco Sport. CRV had the unfixable grind on start timing chain issue but problem free otherwise. Overall the Hondas we had were good. But Honda doesn't have anything comparable to Badlands Sport with its 2.0 turbo. I wanted the boxy styling and power.

Honda has their share of lemons. 2015 and 2017 CRVs high lemon rates. When they first put 9 speed autos in Pilots trans failures galore and took Honda years to sort it out. Certain year Civics, like 2013, I believe, have been on Consumer Reports do not recommend list. That just tip of iceberg for Honda problems too. We once had a 2006 Civic with the common cracked engine block issue. Just go to any Honda forum you'll see a shit ton of of ppl having issues. Ppl who think Honda never has defects are uninformed and damn lucky they never had that experience.

But Honda resale hands down can not beat it.
Very true but Honda problems are now very rare.
At times I'm happy I chose the BS over the Passport but sometimes I'm not. I'll gain more confidence as I put some miles on the BS. 1500 mile trouble free round trip late Sept will help or hurt. :)

Davenorton

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 BadLands/Badlands trim Black over rapid red.

Both partner and I purchased cars in 2021, me a badlands/badlands, she a CR-V mid trim level.
both great cars and both are now 20K ish with no issues! Both agree mine is more fun, hers gets better milage. Both fill a different need and desire. Both have great build quality.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? Source please.
Judging by the issues I'm reading here. A lot more problems here than on a Honda forum with a lot more members.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Ford’s reliability rankings are back down lately, but Honda has been below average for a while. I had a 2017 CRV that was a lemon. My folks had a 2000 odyssey that needed major transmission work after 60k.
Sponsored