OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
I just picked up my BS BL last night and just noticed the tire pressure on my Falkens are at 41-43. I guess I need to let out some air if 33 is recommended.
Sometimes during transportation, they'll overinflate to prevent any flat spotting from occuring. This can also occur when vehicles sit on the lot for an extended period of time (pre-covid)

BS BL+BL+Falkens here, and I've stuck with ~36 psi cold ... however stock fill for me was nitrogen, so there's little expansion to operating-hot temperatures, which are only ~37 psi or so after multiple highway hours. I'm only at a bit over 2,000 miles on the tyres, wear pattern to date looks even.

Don't have access to localized tread-block temperature instrumentation, which is what one uses on the track to determine uneven loading (inferring a pressure to load mismatch).

FWIW, the ForScan data (via OBD-II) does also let you see per-TPMS module temperature readings, which might be of interest when towing or aggressively offroading.

@Falken QA -- Do y'all have target operating-hot temperature pressures tracked also? This makes a big difference for folks using room-air versus a highly dried (nitrogen / CO2) fill.
I'm going to take a shot here. We don't recommend filling tires when they are "hot" after a drive as air is not stable. Your cold pressure is whenever the vehicle hasn't been driven for more than 4 hours. To put simply, the air temp inside the tire is equal to ambient temperature.

As for a "sweet spot" air pressure recommendation, the sweet spot is making sure the air pressure used is supporting the load of the vehicle & it's contents.
Sponsored

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm going to take a shot here. We don't recommend filling tires when they are "hot" after a drive as air is not stable. Your cold pressure is whenever the vehicle hasn't been driven for more than 4 hours. To put simply, the air temp inside the tire is equal to ambient temperature.

As for a "sweet spot" air pressure recommendation, the sweet spot is making sure the air pressure used is supporting the load of the vehicle & it's contents.
Agreed. I was curious to know whether Falken had done any analysis as to cool-down / heat-up pressure changes, since really what you care about in the end is, as you said, pressure-to-load under actual operation. That's why the extra analysis gets done with discrete tread-block temperatures for track use, so you can get an idea of whether there is even heating of the tire-to-pavement contact-patch or not. Similar concept for on-highway, but much less instrumentation available. :-/

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello Bronco Sport members,

Saying hello from the technical/warranty department of Falken tires. I'll be watching for any tire issues throughout the forums. If there are tire questions (even if it is not falken brand), I may chime in and provide some advice/knowledge to help clear up any misconceptions.

You may confirm us by contacting

1800-723-2553 ext 2

or via email

[email protected]

Or send us a message post, mention, or private message us here.
I had some "hydrplanning" episode with my Pirelli Scorpion, in reality, will be less or more prone with the wildpeaks? In Puerto Rico there is no snow, only rain.

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
I had some "hydrplanning" episode with my Pirelli Scorpion, in reality, will be less or more prone with the wildpeaks? In Puerto Rico there is no snow, only rain.
With Hydroplanning, this will depend on how fast the vehicle was going and how much tread is on the tire. Have you had the tires inspected to see what your tread depths were on the tires at 32nds of an inch? That would help answer the question.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
With Hydroplanning, this will depend on how fast the vehicle was going and how much tread is on the tire. Have you had the tires inspected to see what your tread depths were on the tires at 32nds of an inch? That would help answer the question.
Less than 500 miles. Highway 50mph.

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Less than 500 miles. Highway 50mph.
I'm going to assume that the current tires are probably being max'd out in terms of water drainage. There is so much a tire can drain/push water away before being subject to hydroplanning.

In terms of the ATR design, I believe your wet traction issue comes down to the lack of drainage of the tire. The Falken AT trail (non A/non OE version) or AT3w (non A/non OE version)tends to be a popular tire within the Bronco Sport crowd, among other brands like BFG, Toyo, and Coopers. Either tire offers wider/more grooves and more sipes that allow water to drain quicker. As with any tire, tires will reach a point where it can't drain water quickly and will eventually be subject to hydroplanning. It is best to exercise safe driving regardless of what tire you go with.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I'm going to assume that the current tires are probably being max'd out in terms of water drainage. There is so much a tire can drain/push water away before being subject to hydroplanning.

In terms of the ATR design, I believe your wet traction issue comes down to the lack of drainage of the tire. The Falken AT trail (non A/non OE version) or AT3w (non A/non OE version)tends to be a popular tire within the Bronco Sport crowd, among other brands like BFG, Toyo, and Coopers. Either tire offers wider/more grooves and more sipes that allow water to drain quicker. As with any tire, tires will reach a point where it can't drain water quickly and will eventually be subject to hydroplanning. It is best to exercise safe driving regardless of what tire you go with.
235/65/17 at3 best tire for sports .
Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 6EC0BFCB-E684-46EA-80D2-03F7DF642CD3

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
235/65/17 at3 best tire for sports .
Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 6EC0BFCB-E684-46EA-80D2-03F7DF642CD3
Who in the Pittsburgh pa area is your largest dealer for your products ? Thanks

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
The most largest dealer in that area for Falkens would be Discount Tire. They just opened a location recently off Mcknight road.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The most largest dealer in that area for Falkens would be Discount Tire. They just opened a location recently off Mcknight road.
Thanks good to know

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Thanks to you for the information. I have read here so many good things on the wildpeak

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ar OE different than those you buy outside the dealer/another distributor? It is why I understsnd. Can they behave differently being the same model?

broncoben

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Hello Bronco Sport members,

Saying hello from the technical/warranty department of Falken tires. I'll be watching for any tire issues throughout the forums. If there are tire questions (even if it is not falken brand), I may chime in and provide some advice/knowledge to help clear up any misconceptions.

You may confirm us by contacting

1800-723-2553 ext 2

or via email

[email protected]

Or send us a message post, mention, or private message us here.
I’m getting rid of the stock Pirellis on my Bronco Sport Badlands. I’m going with the Wildpeak AT3W but I’m torn between the 235’s and 245’s. What would be the pros and cons of each?

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Do you mind expanding on some of the differences in performance in the AT3w vs AT Trails? I currently have the trails but am curious if i should swap to AT3w next time around for my badlands. I primarily drive on road but will travel to northeast mountains twice a month during ski season so snow rating is important. Also some light offroading about 5-10 days a year, mostly mud and ruts, very few rocks.

Are the trails drastically better for on road performance?
Ar OE different than those you buy outside the dealer/another distributor? It is why I understsnd. Can they behave differently being the same model?
Within the Falken brand, they can be. For example, we have the OE Wildpeak AT3w (AT3wA) and the off the shelf Wildpeak AT3w. When comparing them side by side, the off shelf AT3w has a more aggressive tread design compared to a more conservative AT3wA/OE At3w. The OE versions typically have to be conservative as it has to meet certain noise, comfort, and performance levels for that vehicle manufacturer as the manufacturer is gearing the tire for the general public (not enthusiasts). This could explain why the Pirelli's aren't performing to an expected level. However, I'm sure if purchase a off the shelf Pirelli, performance would blow the OE version. I'm not defending Pirelli; I'm solely shedding light on the scenario.

I’m getting rid of the stock Pirellis on my Bronco Sport Badlands. I’m going with the Wildpeak AT3W but I’m torn between the 235’s and 245’s. What would be the pros and cons of each?
I believe this is the 235/65 and 245/65 in 17's? Biggest difference is the the 235's are the OE tire for the sport. The 245s are the off-the-shelf wildpeak AT3w. Technical differences? 245s would be half an inch taller than the 235s but not much of a difference in terms of width. 245s weigh 8 lbs more, so this will affect MPG/performance of the vehicle. 245s has a higher load capacity due to this added, on the other hand. The 235s does have a softer compound, so it won't last as long as the 245s (being that it is a OE tire), however I haven't came across a case where a owner complained about a short life. Then again, they are probably utilizing the vehicle to it's full potential & understand tire life would be sacrificed.

ClineDesign

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OBX, 99 Chevy Silverado 2500, CT90
I’d like to switch from the OBX stock 18” wheels and 225/60 Michelin tires to custom 17”wheels and winter/snow tires. What tire size should I choose to match the diameter of the stock setup?
Sponsored

Last edited: