Hello from Falken Tires

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I'll give you the legal response & the technically correct response

Factory load capacity is 1758 lbs per tire at 33PSI.

Since the new tire size 245/65R17 is larger than factory along with a high load rating than OEM, I advise sticking to the OE pressure of 33 PSI.

To be technically correct, the new tire size can still support the same factory load at 29 PSI.
Can you explain the math behind this? I can be kind of technical and I don't want to embarrass myself and say how I came up with 30psi.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
OEM Continental ProContact TX 225/65R17 102H 33psi.
Thanks.
Can you explain the math behind this? I can be kind of technical and I don't want to embarrass myself and say how I came up with 30psi.
Lets break this down. To start, the factory size was 225/65R17 SL, load rating of 102, speed rating H, set at 33 PSI (set by Ford to match their MPG claims, payload/towing capacity)

Since this is not a P225/65, we'll use the ETRTO standard load inflation chart. Based on load rating of 102, 33PSI gives us 1753 lbs of load capacity per tire. Refer to the link below for inflation chart & other tire related topics

https://tirepressure.com/metric-tire-load-and-inflation-table#load.102SL

This is our baseline. The new tire size in question, 245/65R17 SL, has a load rating 107, we'll use the same ETRTO standard load chart for adjustment. We have to get the same or slightly more load carry capacity as the factory tires. At 28 PSI, chart states 1731 lbs of load capacity. This is underpressured/overloaded, so we'll bump up to 29 PSI, which supports 1803. This is the closest we can get to the factory's 1753 lbs capacity without going under.

Air pressures should be based on this similar formula and not based on curb weight. Curb weight is essential static weight. This weight does not account for variables when vehicle weight shifts (braking, accelerating, turn/handling, bumps/dips, etc.).

Megakatx

Big Bend
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is great... having Fallen support in our forum... thank you, I'm still waiting to run out my stocks tires on my BB R18... but for sure I'll switch to AT Falken... 235/65/R18....

Justin

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend + BB
Just got a pair of 225/65R17 AT3Ws on my sport. Taking it for the first real drive today, so we'll see how the combo does for road noise at a more modest size.

May we also contact you for support if we're in Canada?

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Just got a pair of 225/65R17 AT3Ws on my sport. Taking it for the first real drive today, so we'll see how the combo does for road noise at a more modest size.

May we also contact you for support if we're in Canada?
Hello Justin,

yes, we handled North American market. As for the Canadian region specifically, any warranty inquiries would go back through your original seller or an authorized dealer/distributor like NTD, Tire Discounter, or Volco Tire, to name a few.

BroncoBear

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Hello Bronco Sport members,

Saying hello from the technical/warranty department of Falken tires. I'll be watching for any tire issues throughout the forums. If there are tire questions (even if it is not falken brand), I may chime in and provide some advice/knowledge to help clear up any misconceptions.

Or send us a message post, mention, or private message us here.
Hello...

My Outer Banks came from the factory with Michelins (225/60/R18), but I think Ford did a disservice to this car by putting such skinny road tires on it. I love the way the Bronco Sport looks, but every time I look at those tires, I just can't take the car seriously.

Ideally, I'd love to put some 275's on it and actually see the tires stick out when looking at them head-on.

Would you happen to know what is the largest tire you can fit on the Outer Banks with and without a lift kit?

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Hello...

My Outer Banks came from the factory with Michelins (225/60/R18), but I think Ford did a disservice to this car by putting such skinny road tires on it. I love the way the Bronco Sport looks, but every time I look at those tires, I just can't take the car seriously.

Ideally, I'd love to put some 275's on it and actually see the tires stick out when looking at them head-on.

Would you happen to know what is the largest tire you can fit on the Outer Banks with and without a lift kit?
The Bronco Sports are a new platform that we are trying to learn about in terms of plus sizing. I believe 275's may not clear the vehicle as it is not the truck-based Bronco that has a lot of clearance. After coming back from SEMA, 245s seem to be the norm for the Bronco Sports in terms of alternative sizes with a conservative lift. 235/55s should fit without a lift.

275s will require a wide wheel, which will almost always require a lift, trimming, and/or wider fenders (certain states require fenders to hang over tire/wheel)

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
The Bronco Sports are a new platform that we are trying to learn about in terms of plus sizing. I believe 275's may not clear the vehicle as it is not the truck-based Bronco that has a lot of clearance. After coming back from SEMA, 245s seem to be the norm for the Bronco Sports in terms of alternative sizes with a conservative lift. 235/55s should fit without a lift.

275s will require a wide wheel, which will almost always require a lift, trimming, and/or wider fenders (certain states require fenders to hang over tire/wheel)
Using the stock Outer Banks 18" rim, what Falken Wildpeak should I use, in what size, for our seriously snowy winters in Northern Michigan.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Using the stock Outer Banks 18" rim, what Falken Wildpeak should I use, in what size, for our seriously snowy winters in Northern Michigan.

Thanks.
the data books are on their way to our office, so could you provide the width of the OEM wheel? This will help in figuring out what sizes can fit the wheel.

Sincerely,

Greekguyrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just picked up my BS BL last night and just noticed the tire pressure on my Falkens are at 41-43. I guess I need to let out some air if 33 is recommended.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just picked up my BS BL last night and just noticed the tire pressure on my Falkens are at 41-43. I guess I need to let out some air if 33 is recommended.
BS BL+BL+Falkens here, and I've stuck with ~36 psi cold ... however stock fill for me was nitrogen, so there's little expansion to operating-hot temperatures, which are only ~37 psi or so after multiple highway hours. I'm only at a bit over 2,000 miles on the tyres, wear pattern to date looks even.

Don't have access to localized tread-block temperature instrumentation, which is what one uses on the track to determine uneven loading (inferring a pressure to load mismatch).

FWIW, the ForScan data (via OBD-II) does also let you see per-TPMS module temperature readings, which might be of interest when towing or aggressively offroading.

@Falken QA -- Do y'all have target operating-hot temperature pressures tracked also? This makes a big difference for folks using room-air versus a highly dried (nitrogen / CO2) fill.
Sponsored