Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Could the oil have been put in during ST Patrick's day?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It is odd that only some of the engines have the green oil.
I believe you are correct about using the dye to detect leaks. I'm guessing it is very visible using a UV light. I suspect the reason some cars don't have it is that those owners are color blind. :crackup:

Seriously though, I suspect it's simply a matter of the tint being more noticeable to some people than others. I'm pretty sure they put the dye in all new car engines.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I believe you are correct about using the dye to detect leaks. I'm guessing it is very visible using a UV light. I suspect the reason some cars don't have it is that those owners are color blind. :crackup:

Seriously though, I suspect it's simply a matter of the tint being more noticeable to some people than others. I'm pretty sure they put the dye in all new car engines.
I checked mine not too long after getting the BS and I know for sure it did not have green dye in it. There are several others that have posted here with similar results. I think the green is pretty noticeable when it is there. Maybe not if you don’t check until after 5000 miles or something.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, I'm not sure if Ford randomly puts green oil in a certain percentage of vehicles to look for leaks. I'm sure it's more cost effective just to leave the green oil in the vehicle. My report from Blackstone came back good and I haven't had any problems to date.
I was thinking that it might require draining the oil to fix the leak, but that is probably not the case for all oil leaks.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I checked mine not too long after getting the BS and I know for sure it did not have green dye in it. There are several others that have posted here with similar results. I think the green is pretty noticeable when it is there. Maybe not if you don’t check until after 5000 miles or something.
Interesting. I don’t have time to look for it now, but I remember reading a tech notice about dye in the oil from the factory for leak checking. It also noted that various assembly lubricants contributed to the tint. I’ll try to track it down when I get a few minutes.

OP
OP
bozer

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
And same as you, no green on the dipstick.
The green tint wasn't noticeable at all on the dipstick, it wasn't visible until it hit the black drain pan. If a person had their oil changed at a dealership, I don't think they'd be the wiser. That may be by design, so people don't freak out.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
Just did my first oil change today 2023 Sport Big Bend with 1700 miles. Oil was normal. I would definitely look into your saint Patrick day oil.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's possible they don't put the dye in all engines, but I find it more likely that the amount used and the lighting under which they are viewed varies, making it more difficult to see. These are fluorescent dyes meant to be visible using a UV light.

If the lighting you are using emits any UV light (not uncommon) the fluorescent dye will be visible. But it would be hard to see without at least SOME UV light. Here's an interesting article about fluorescent materials.
I have used an oil from Liqui Moly that was clearly green:
Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil 1679855553606

So, not all of this sort of oil is made with a dye that is only visible in the UV spectrum.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Reading this entire thread made me go out afterwards and pull the dip stick (glad we have one; a BMW we once owned did not, as BMW felt most of their owners neve checked their own oil).

No green appearances on the dip stick. I have a 2023. Perhaps it is random on the assembly line to fill certain engines on a given day to check for leaks.
Sponsored