bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I did my first oil change on our Badlands with the 2.0. Oil was changed at 1596 miles. To my surprise as oil was draining into drain pan, I noticed it had a very noticeable green tint. Has anyone else experienced this? First thing I thought was coolant intrusion, but my coolant level is normal and there is no white smoke from exhaust that I have noticed. See pics and tell me what you think. I've read that ford uses dye sometimes to verify there are no oil leaks on a new motor, I've never heard of this until reading up on it a little bit. Pictures are held up in the sunlight to show green hue, it's not as noticeable in the shade.

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green tint in motor oil1

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green motor oil residue in drainpan

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green tint in motor oil in jar

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport oil fill openin
Sponsored

OP
OP
bozer

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know, I'm baffled and a little concerned. I have visions of taking my BS to the dealer and not seeing it again for 12 months.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Interesting. Different oil used for break in?

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Interesting. Will definitely be on the lookout when I do my first change... currently at 250 miles and plan on it in the 1000-1500 range.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I did my first oil change on our Badlands with the 2.0. Oil was changed at 1596 miles. To my surprise as oil was draining into drain pan, I noticed it had a very noticeable green tint. Has anyone else experienced this? First thing I thought was coolant intrusion, but my coolant level is normal and there is no white smoke from exhaust that I have noticed. See pics and tell me what you think. I've read that ford uses dye sometimes to verify there are no oil leaks on a new motor, I've never heard of this until reading up on it a little bit. Pictures are held up in the sunlight to show green hue, it's not as noticeable in the shade.

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green tint in motor oil1

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green motor oil residue in drainpan

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport green tint in motor oil in jar

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport oil fill openin
I did mine at 2K on my 2.0. Mine was not green at all. That looks more like coolant than oil.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
I would send a sample to Brookstone Blackstone labs for analysis, might be useful to know what the composition is if you have a problem in the future.

Was the drained quantity correct? Does it feel and smell like motor oil?

Dealer did my first oil change so not sure about color, but it looked normal on the dipstick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bozer

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did mine at 2K on my 2.0. Mine was not green at all. That looks more like coolant than oil.
I'm not low on coolant at all and there's no smoke coming from tailpipe. I don't know what to think other than its dye for leak detection. It does look like coolant but not so much in the shade or out of direct light.

Ford Bronco Sport Green tint in drained motor oil bronco sport oil in jar out of direct light

OP
OP
bozer

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would send a sample to Brookstone labs for analysis, might be useful to know what the composition is if you have a problem in the future.

Was the drained quantity correct? Does it feel and smell like motor oil?

Dealer did my first oil change so not sure about color, but it looked normal on the dipstick.
I was actually thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone Labs for my protection. Drain quantity was correct @ 5 quarts. It does smell and feel like oil.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was actually thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone Labs for my protection. Drain quantity was correct @ 5 quarts. It does smell and feel like oil.
Oil capacity is 5.7 quarts in the 2.0 including filter. Might be a good idea to send it out. Save some just in case there is an issue.

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too bad I just took mine to the oil recycling center today. I could have poured so in a glass bottle. I dumped mine in to two milk jugs.

OP
OP
bozer

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil capacity is 5.7 quarts in the 2.0 including filter. Might be a good idea to send it out. Save some just in case there is an issue.
Correct, 5 quarts in the pan and another 1/2 or so in the filter. It drained the proper amount. I sent for an oil sample kit from Blackstone Labs.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Pretty sure it is a dye. I ran some oil in my VW from Liqui-Moly that came out of the bottle really green and it does help to find leaks. I can’t remember if it was a black light thing to point out the leak but I don’t think you have anything to worry about. If coolant was in the oil it wouldn’t be green, the whole thing would look foamy and light brown (maybe with a tinge of green in this case).

Is Ford still using the standard green coolant? Sorry, I have had Euro cars since the late 90’s.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Better than chocolate milk color. Been there before, but luckily not with my BS :eek:. I’m thinking some kind of dye.
Sponsored