Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature?

How Important is the Flip-Up Rear Glass to you?

• I Didn't Know the Glass Flipped Up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MAJB Retired

Big Bend
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 King Ranch, Jeep Renegade, Bronco Sport
I Don't belie it would have been a deal breaker, but it has it's uses, even if more limited than the older model Escapes. I had several Escapes ( 2002 to 2012) and loved the flip up glass. Bought a 2016 Escape and hated it. Not so much for the lack of the flip up glass, but gust for the ugly looks. Ended up trading it for a Renegade and the wife loved it. When the BS came out we went back to Ford and purchases a BS-BB in Kodak Brown and love it.
Sponsored

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Every SUV I've owned in the past 20 years has had flip-up glass in the lift-gate, and I use that feature often. From easily loading grocery bags, transporting long lumber, to accessing rear cargo when a hitch mounted bike rack blocks the lift-gate, so much more convenient than lift-gate only.

The BS is the only remaining small SUV with this feature, although the Ford Expedition and a Lincoln model may still have it. Do you know of any other new models?

Although the glass opening is much smaller than on my Escape, I still want it. I think this is a strong point in favor of the BS compared to other SUV's.

Just curious what others think.
I liked it on my 86 Blazer and I like it on my BS BB.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'd say it was essential because I pictured myself hauling longer items once in a blue moon by letting them stick out the window. Like pipe or 2x4s or what have you. Then once I got it, I realized I'm too chicken to drive with the glass up and letting it break. Then I realized it's essential, but needs to drop into the liftgate.
Let PVC pipe stick out mine. Drove about five miles, no problems encountered.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm still too chicken, and mine came with crossbars anyhow, that are just decorating the wall while waiting for a pipe type project. Maybe next Spring I will end my 19 year procrastination of the lawn sprinklers. ?‍♂

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I’ve used my flip up glass opening occasionally. Don’t need it,
The flip glass on my 2004 escape still works fine but Ford reversed the controls so now when I want to open my escapes hatch I open the glass by mistake all the time, as I don’t drive it that often,,,
It’s my winter beater,, :,P

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Been there, got that T shirt, works great for that. For choirs like that I mostly use my old escape. It’s got cross bars up top to strap stuff too. It needs to be driven, sitting kills cars.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This is my second Bronco Sport and I bought both off the lot. In my first one, I did not use the flip glass much at all. But this second Sport has that cargo divider. So it is real convenient to open the glass and use it!

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I got used to the hands free lift gate on my '15 Escape, so the flip up glass is kind of important for me on my BS.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I rarely use it on the old Escape but it’s handy when needed. My son bought a special prop to keep his FJ rear window slightly open. Maybe someone will come up with one for the BS.

thegadgetfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use it all the time when driving my dog to the dog park (slow, local driving). It always feels sketchy though, I also wish it could roll down instead.

Michigunman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
We have flip up rear glass? LOL, I know, I have just never used it.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
Love having it on our Mariner, and I wouldnt say not having it is a deal breaker but its definately nice to have as our house is older the bit smaller garage but I can still put things in the back with just the glass as opposed to opening the garage to open the full tail gate.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I use it all the time on my '99 Merc Mountaineer and '03 Merc Mountaineer. My guess is that I will use it on my new BS BB. Hopefully will take delivery by St. Patrick's Day. My wife rarely uses it on her '14 Expedition.

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
I just can’t really see myself using it. The idea of using it for lumber is very appealing. But driving at 80kph/50mph with it up doesn’t seem appealing. And neither does anchoring it down part way. I’d be so worried of it breaking with no frame to support it.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
If it was a $150 option, I wouldn't get it but if it was a $40 option, I would. I do wish it was bigger but not a deal breaker,
Sponsored