Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature?

How Important is the Flip-Up Rear Glass to you?

• I Didn't Know the Glass Flipped Up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Every SUV I've owned in the past 20 years has had flip-up glass in the lift-gate, and I use that feature often. From easily loading grocery bags, transporting long lumber, to accessing rear cargo when a hitch mounted bike rack blocks the lift-gate, so much more convenient than lift-gate only.

The BS is the only remaining small SUV with this feature, although the Ford Expedition and a Lincoln model may still have it. Do you know of any other new models?

Although the glass opening is much smaller than on my Escape, I still want it. I think this is a strong point in favor of the BS compared to other SUV's.

Just curious what others think.
Sponsored

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I really like it but would prefer it was bigger. It is a bit too small. Even better would be a drop in window like the 4-runner has. That is more costly and complex so I get why Ford didn’t do it. But when driving, it is great having the window dropped (so I am told).

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Wifes 2019 (last year it was available) Highlander has it and love it. Wiper setup is same as BS. Opening is obviously larger being a larger vehicle.

Last edited:

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I’m happy to have opening rear glass. Had it on 05 escape & 02 excursion. missed it on 16 escape & wish 17 explorer had it. and like it, not love it on sport. It is narrow but it is handy. Would not have been a deal breaker.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
As others have said, the opening is too small for groceries and most common items. I could definitely live without it. However, there are a few situations where it comes in very handy:

• Camping/tailgating. Instead of leaving the hatch wide open all day, I can just leave the glass open and have a nice shaded area for small items.
  • When towing my v-nose cargo trailer, I don't have enough clearance to open the hatch, but thankfully I can still open the glass.
  • Similar to the trailer thing, it's nice to open just the glass if I'm parked in a tight area or parallel parked.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'd say it was essential because I pictured myself hauling longer items once in a blue moon by letting them stick out the window. Like pipe or 2x4s or what have you. Then once I got it, I realized I'm too chicken to drive with the glass up and letting it break. Then I realized it's essential, but needs to drop into the liftgate.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Our 2013 pilot doesn’t have it. I think it’s badass. I don’t get the complaining, If you didn’t like the size of the Sport you should have bought the Big Bronco or a overpriced fat lip 4Runner.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
Our 2013 pilot doesn’t have it. I think it’s badass. I don’t get the complaining, If you didn’t like the size of the Sport you should have bought the Big Bronco or a overpriced fat lip 4Runner.
Nobody here is complaining lol, most are saying that the glass is nice to have but could be larger. I'm not going to buy a much larger and more expensive vehicle just because one minor feature isn't perfect.

I don't understand the hyper-defensiveness of some people here. No vehicle is perfect, just drive what you like.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Nobody here is complaining lol, most are saying that the glass is nice to have but could be larger. I'm not going to buy a much larger and more expensive vehicle just because one minor feature isn't perfect.

I don't understand the hyper-defensiveness of some people here. No vehicle is perfect, just drive what you like.
Ford Bronco Sport Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature? 710A0469-1E8C-4647-B3A2-250E78041D47

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
And your point is? Do you honestly think they should go out and purchase a whole new vehicle because they mildly criticized a single feature?

If that person's post offended you, then take it up with them. Or maybe go find something better to be upset about.

Last edited:

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
And your point is? Do you honestly think they should go out and purchase a whole new vehicle because they mildly criticized a single feature?

If that person's post offended you, then take it up with them. Or maybe go find something better to be upset about.
You said nobody was complaining. They were. As shown.
You said mild criticism.
The poster said it was almost useless. And I quote “ the wiper/lock housing takes up too much space for the access to be useful “ That’s not mild.
So yes my suggestion was that if somebody found it to be that useless maybe they should’ve considered a different vehicle, but maybe that feature wasn’t that important to him and he was just saying even though he loves the car the lift glass is useless either way I took it as complaining and, commented as such I’m not upset at all.
Sponsored