Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
Yes, the AT3W's is a huge improvement over the stock Michelins in this snow. I stayed with the stock 225 size.
I upgraded my rims and tires to those so I appreciate the first hand knowledge in the same driving conditions I’ll be dealing with. We just got a bunch of snow down here this after noon. Not sure if it hit you guys up there or not too.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Will be interesting to see how long your Geolandars last.
Over the two years on my escape I only put 6,000 miles on the tires. It’s my bad weather and back up car.
That’s half the miles I put on my BS continentals. They show almost no wear. Tread depths are still 11/32 down from 12 new I think it was.
At 6,000 miles on my B sports Conti’s I was at 7/32 from 9 or 10/32 when new.
My simple headed math says my Yoko’s should reach 4 or 5/32 at or about 35,000 miles. That’s fine with me if I can get two full years.
I like fresh deep treaded shoes anyway.
We shall see,,,,
Other than my one four lane highway that everyone calls the ‘ Fourlane’
Most all of my driving is curvy two lanes. Hard on tires I am.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
This is basically what happens when you have a soft (per se) sidewall and you hit something in the road you get a 3 inch gash in your sidewall, so there’s that to think about also. ( stock Continentals)

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 4D94C384-CC51-448A-A45C-2F41349FDF43

OP
OP

B.Sporty916

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This is basically what happens when you have a soft (per se) sidewall and you hit something in the road you get a 3 inch gash in your sidewall, so there’s that to think about also. ( stock Continentals)

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 4D94C384-CC51-448A-A45C-2F41349FDF43
That's rough! I was reading that the stock Continentals aren't the best tires in the world.

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The optional OE tire would be the Wildpeak AT3w, part# 59000690. Load rating of 104, H speed rating, coming in at 29" OD, 9.5" sidewall to sidewall (footprint at 6.6").

The AT trails in the same size is the run of the mill, which will look pretty much what we market on our website (tread design may slighty differ between sizes within the line for noise reduction purposes). Part# 28712790
Do you mind expanding on some of the differences in performance in the AT3w vs AT Trails? I currently have the trails but am curious if i should swap to AT3w next time around for my badlands. I primarily drive on road but will travel to northeast mountains twice a month during ski season so snow rating is important. Also some light offroading about 5-10 days a year, mostly mud and ruts, very few rocks.

Are the trails drastically better for on road performance?

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Do you mind expanding on some of the differences in performance in the AT3w vs AT Trails? I currently have the trails but am curious if i should swap to AT3w next time around for my badlands. I primarily drive on road but will travel to northeast mountains twice a month during ski season so snow rating is important. Also some light offroading about 5-10 days a year, mostly mud and ruts, very few rocks.

Are the trails drastically better for on road performance?
This is a tricky question, as it most depends on what sizes we are comparing. If we are comparing 235/65R17, it'll mostly come down to pricing, style, warranties, & slight trade offs.

The reason being is that the AT3w's in this size are the OE option for the Bronco Sport. As such, this specific tire was designed in order to meet Ford's criteria for overall performance, noise, comfort, handling, and MPG. The disadvantage with this tire is that it is a standard load, so it is not going to have that extra tread ply found in the AT trail of the same size. The advantage is you are saving 4 lbs per tire compared to the AT trails, even with a starting tread depth of 13/32nds.

The AT trail in the 235/65R17 is a extra load, so it will have that extra tread ply layer. This allows it to carry more load and in some other ways, an extra ply before any object takes the tire out of service. The AT trail has 2/32nds less tread (starts new at 11/32nds) to start compared to the AT3w in the same size, so it'll provide a more stable ride from the start as there is less tread squirm to deal with. Based on what I have seen in the Subaru crowd, the AT Trail is the tire of choice, followed by the AT3w.

Both tires are 3PMSF rated, so their compounds will remain pliable in comparison to a normal rubber tire.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
This is a tricky question, as it most depends on what sizes we are comparing. If we are comparing 235/65R17, it'll mostly come down to pricing, style, warranties, & slight trade offs.

The reason being is that the AT3w's in this size are the OE option for the Bronco Sport. As such, this specific tire was designed in order to meet Ford's criteria for overall performance, noise, comfort, handling, and MPG. The disadvantage with this tire is that it is a standard load, so it is not going to have that extra tread ply found in the AT trail of the same size. The advantage is you are saving 4 lbs per tire compared to the AT trails, even with a starting tread depth of 13/32nds.

The AT trail in the 235/65R17 is a extra load, so it will have that extra tread ply layer. This allows it to carry more load and in some other ways, an extra ply before any object takes the tire out of service. The AT trail has 2/32nds less tread (starts new at 11/32nds) to start compared to the AT3w in the same size, so it'll provide a more stable ride from the start as there is less tread squirm to deal with. Based on what I have seen in the Subaru crowd, the AT Trail is the tire of choice, followed by the AT3w.

Both tires are 3PMSF rated, so their compounds will remain pliable in comparison to a normal rubber tire.
Thanks for adding a dose of reality to the forum. Appreciate the straight forward and clearly knowledgeable response.

Last edited:

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Just want to say thank you for the detailed response. I will admit I am not that educated on tires yet. I probably should have mentioned that if I did swap for AT3w then it would be the 245s but will dig into the specs on your website. Thanks!

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
I live in New Hampshire.
Before I got new tires I had to navigate some big rain storms and one snow fall. All I can say is after hydroplaning and relying completely on the traction control I couldn't get rid of the stock, all seasons fast enough.
I traded out the 18" rims for 17"s and went with Cooper 245/65's.
I couldn't be happier. The ride is smoother, the shifting and acceleration are smoother.
Absolutely no noticeable loss in engine power. It's almost like the BS was designed for them! A little road noise and lost about 1 MPG.

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 20211129_120225
We have Cooper Discoverer AT-3 on our 00 Ranger 4x4, & our 99 Explorer Sport 4x4 & love them. When it comes time to replace the tires on the BS/BB they will be with the Cooper Discoverer AT-3's either staying with the 225's or stepping up one size to 235's.

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just installed Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 235/60/18R tires. They look much better that the standard 225 Michelins that came on my OB. After I was satisfied with the ride, the Woolworth 2" lift/level was installed. The ride is nice, but a little rougher than stock as expected.

The lift caused a bit of noise in the front shocks when hitting bumps. I'm not sure if that is typical or not. The alignment made it better, but still noticeable. Tire pressure is around 40psi cold.

I hope to get some 17 inch wheels and larger AT tires, but stocks are currently low.

Before and after pics:

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) IMG_4661.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) IMG_5196.JPG

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I just installed Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 235/60/18R tires. They look much better that the standard 225 Michelins that came on my OB. After I was satisfied with the ride, the Woolworth 2" lift/level was installed. The ride is nice, but a little rougher than stock as expected.

The lift caused a bit of noise in the front shocks when hitting bumps. I'm not sure if that is typical or not. The alignment made it better, but still noticeable. Tire pressure is around 40psi cold.

I hope to get some 17 inch wheels and larger AT tires, but stocks are currently low.

Before and after pics:

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) IMG_4661.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) IMG_5196.JPG
You definitely need to lower your air pressure to 34/35 . Rough ride at 40 for sure . Try it out . Let us know how it is .

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 6B7BBEF8-3B41-4648-8C83-AF55DB3EB7BD

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 2B257F94-FBC2-4F0B-A438-545E17FEAD94

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
We have Cooper Discoverer AT-3 on our 00 Ranger 4x4, & our 99 Explorer Sport 4x4 & love them. When it comes time to replace the tires on the BS/BB they will be with the Cooper Discoverer AT-3's either staying with the 225's or stepping up one size to 235's.
Absolutely. Just had another snowfall and love these tires. Can't wait to run them in some deep powder!!
Lol. Sorry, I am a skier at heart.
You definitely won't be disappointed in stepping up the size.

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You definitely need to lower your air pressure to 34/35 . Rough ride at 40 for sure . Try it out . Let us know how it is .
I adjusted the tires to 35psi on a 70 degree day. The ride is much better. They looked a little low at first, but the bottom bulge went away after a few dozen miles.

Temperatures were in the mid 40s this morning and the pressure showed 33. It quickly went up to 35 on the road. I'm happy with the ride.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DavidJo3

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I live in New Hampshire.
Before I got new tires I had to navigate some big rain storms and one snow fall. All I can say is after hydroplaning and relying completely on the traction control I couldn't get rid of the stock, all seasons fast enough.
I traded out the 18" rims for 17"s and went with Cooper 245/65's.
I couldn't be happier. The ride is smoother, the shifting and acceleration are smoother.
Absolutely no noticeable loss in engine power. It's almost like the BS was designed for them! A little road noise and lost about 1 MPG. No worries about traction, pinching a sidewall or scraping a rim.

Ligh truck all terains are definitely overkill for a compact suv daily driver. Any tire like what the BL's are sold with is more than enough. But I'm loving these!

Ford Bronco Sport Factory OEM tires vs. Wildpeak A/T Trails vs AT3Ws - (Big Bend) 20211129_120225
Agreed...the OEM tires are terrible. I shook my head when I saw them before we drove off the lot.I noticed slippage on wintry roads just weeks after buying the Bronco. Sure enough, at 15,000 miles they are virtually bald! I have rotated them. It's really unfortunate that with under a year on a brand new vehicle, I already have to get new tires!

DavidJo3

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I live in MN (Twin Cities area) and have the AT3W's (245's). I got them probably more for looks than functionality. Prior to the BS my front-wheel drive Mitsu Lancer with aggressive all-season Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires did fine in the winter. So a "4-wheel drive" BS on factory OEM tires should be just fine, just depends on how deep the snow or crazy the off-road terrain is. There is a limit to everything.
The factory tires are actually not fine just for even regular driving. I noticed some hydroplaning and sliding within the first 2-3 months. And now at 15,000 miles they are almost bald. Haven't had the vehicle even a year and I already need new tires, and that's with tire rotation as well.
Sponsored