Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This video from Driving Sports TV explores off-road performance for a 2022 Maverick following installation of BFG Trail Terrain tires. The host describes the BFG Trail Terrain as a step down from the BFG K02, which (I believe) is also accurate for the Falken AT3W. The video should give you a pretty good idea of how much better off-road capability you can expect with upgraded tires.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I climb steep loose gravel, when it’s dry it feels like ball bearings under my tires. We mix crusher rock with road bond #57. Water is the glue.
My factory all seasons continentals did just fine on my Base model Baby Bronc. But at 13,000 miles I was down to 5/32 tread depth and touching 4/32, at eleven months of use. Winter is coming.
I moved to Yokohama Geolandars G015 and up to 235’s from 225’s
I like the open tread blocks they just do better. And I got a snow rating in a quiet smooth riding tire.
Had em on my 04 Escape for two years. It was a no brainer.
I’m running 32 psi cold.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Will be interesting to see how long your Geolandars last.

OP
OP

B.Sporty916

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This video from Driving Sports TV explores off-road performance for a 2022 Maverick following installation of BFG Trail Terrain tires. The host describes the BFG Trail Terrain as a step down from the BFG K02, which (I believe) is also accurate for the Falken AT3W. The video should give you a pretty good idea of how much better off-road capability you can expect with upgraded tires.
So I picked up a set of 235/65/17 AT3Ws.

Confirmed the tread isn't as aggressive as photos shown on various retail sites.

I read somewhere that is the case in this size, but it's no big deal; it's a huge difference from the CONTIs I had from the dealer. The ride is noticeably improved.

Looking forward to having a good set of tires on/off road that should last for a long time - thanks everyone for the help!

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
So I picked up a set of 235/65/17 AT3Ws.

Confirmed the tread isn't as aggressive as photos shown on various retail sites.

I read somewhere that is the case in this size, but it's no big deal; it's a huge difference from the CONTIs I had from the dealer. The ride is noticeably improved.
It could be that their LT (Light Truck) tires have more tread depth and look more aggressive. I know that is the case with most LT tires.

Good choice on the tires, with the AT3W's !!! I still find the Cooper AT3 4S a desirable choice and they have so many sizes to choose from and the Vredestein Pinza A/T has tested well against lesser tires but are greatly lacking in customer feedback so far.

I'm looking forward to TR's upcoming winter testing of A/T tires, though it will be months before we see results.

OP
OP

B.Sporty916

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Good choice on the tires, with the AT3W's !!!

I'm looking forward to TR's upcoming winter testing of A/T tires, though it will be months before we see results.
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked about it tbh.

After reading some of the threads on these forums, I made it a priority to get a legit set of tires installed on the B.Sport.

I'm curious to see how these guys do off pavement, or in the snow.

OP
OP

B.Sporty916

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
QUESTION: When I was driving home from the tire shop the PSI sensors picked up the pressure at 43 all around, give or take a point or two - confirmed just now with a pen gauge.

The door label says PSI for the 225s should be 33 PSI. Does the extra size for the 235s make that much of a difference?

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
QUESTION: When I was driving home from the tire shop the PSI sensors picked up the pressure at 43 all around, give or take a point or two - confirmed just now with a pen gauge.

The door label says PSI for the 225s should be 33 PSI. Does the extra size for the 235s make that much of a difference?
According to the Tire pressure calculator, mentioned a couple of times, on this forum, if the correct pressure for the smaller SL 102 load rated 225's, is 33, then the 104 SL, 235's is 31. I will mention Ford recommends 33 psi for both sizes.

https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Tire shops like to make sure you have enough air, insert eye roll here!!! ?
I would actually consider 43 psi an unsafe level but maybe they were at least even?

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thank you @Bluebaru for the great writeup. I'll lower the pressure before I drive anywhere else.
It's not likely to hurt anything other than ride quality in the short term. Sharp bumps, expansion joints and cracks will be much more noticeable with higher tire pressure. Off-road performance will suffer as well; lower tire pressure increases the size of the contact patch, which increases traction. In the long term you may see increased wear in the center of the tread on the tires.

Regarding off-road performance, many experienced off roaders lower tire pressure well below manufacturer recommendations, which are based on street performance.

Last edited:

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
For whatever it's worth, one of the main reasons to go with heavier, "real" A/Ts is sidewall strength. Tread matters a lot, but it gets all the attention. Sidewall strength is arguably more important off-road, especially in rocks. If you're not driving in rocky environments, it won't matter a ton, but if you are, you'll damage lightweight tires quickly.

Unfortunately, that sidewall strength comes with more weight and therefore worse gas milage as well as a stiffer ride. Manufacturers have found ways to compensate a bit, but there's always a trade-off, and there's a reason for the more highway-focused tires that come by default.

That having been said, really, please don't go on a very rocky remote trail with the default tires. You have to punish the sidewalls to make up for limited clearance in the sport, and you'll slice open lightweight/fuel-efficient/smooth-riding tires at the worst possible time.

If you're not driving on rocks, you'll have worse traction, but it's not the end of the world. You can often turn around or self-recover with boards and a shovel to get out of muddy/sandy spots. If you are driving on rocky trails, however, a tire upgrade isn't just about performance, it's about safety.

You should also recognize that it will reduce on-road safety in some cases to increase off-road safety. Agressive and open treads usually have worse stopping distance on dry pavement.

At any rate, consider your local environment when buying tires.
^^^THIS.

The BFG Trail Terrain is kind of a odd tire. It looks to be a competitor to our WIldpeak AT Trail, though they have quiet a bit of sizes that fit into the proper A/T category. The AT trails are more for crossovers and unibody vehicles (like the Bronco Sport), which the Trail Terrain addresses with certain sizes. Wish BFG was here to chime in.

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
^^^THIS.

The BFG Trail Terrain is kind of a odd tire. It looks to be a competitor to our WIldpeak AT Trail, though they have quiet a bit of sizes that fit into the proper A/T category. The AT trails are more for crossovers and unibody vehicles (like the Bronco Sport), which the Trail Terrain addresses with certain sizes. Wish BFG was here to chime in.
Do you know specifically which tire comes as the optional upgrade on the 2022 Badlands? The ordering guide says: "Falken Wildpeak - 235/65R17 All-Terrain (A/T) Off-Road (T7F)"

Is this the same thing as Wildpeak AT Trail that you are referring to? Or is the AT Off-Road a different tire?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Do you know specifically which tire comes as the optional upgrade on the 2022 Badlands? The ordering guide says: "Falken Wildpeak - 235/65R17 All-Terrain (A/T) Off-Road (T7F)"

Is this the same thing as Wildpeak AT Trail that you are referring to? Or is the AT Off-Road a different tire?
Optional BL tire is the AT3W

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE

The optional OE tire would be the Wildpeak AT3w, part# 59000690. Load rating of 104, H speed rating, coming in at 29" OD, 9.5" sidewall to sidewall (footprint at 6.6").

The AT trails in the same size is the run of the mill, which will look pretty much what we market on our website (tread design may slighty differ between sizes within the line for noise reduction purposes). Part# 28712790

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
My brother in law is in Longville and he was just telling me last night about that crazy snow storm. We didn’t get anything in The southeast part of the state Cept for these crazy winds and it’s 13 deg today. ?

the Falkens did well for you in that?
Yes, the AT3W's is a huge improvement over the stock Michelins in this snow. I stayed with the stock 225 size.
Sponsored