Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes please stop self harm, in the name of research. We appreciate your dedication to science but we'd rather you stay healthy.
Who is the "we" that you speak of? :giggle:
Sponsored

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
So he did. Because of false reporting on long term members who are generally known to be helpful? There isn’t much that could get you banned on most forums but that could.

I usually avoid discussions like this, but thanks for an awesome quote. I’m going to be looking for continual sources of inspiration here all day today now!

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
This is one of those things that I thought I would hate. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a rental car on Vacay awhile back, and a Pacifica on a different trip, HATED the feature on both, maybe its just a Chrysler thing but that start/stop on those is brutal, seems like a full second or two delay and loud and rough as could be. The one on our badlands is pretty darn responsive and quiet. As was mentioned on here earlier though, in this early summer heat we're having here in TX though it doesnt kick in too much right now 😅

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
This is one of those things that I thought I would hate. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a rental car on Vacay awhile back, and a Pacifica on a different trip, HATED the feature on both, maybe its just a Chrysler thing but that start/stop on those is brutal, seems like a full second or two delay and loud and rough as could be. The one on our badlands is pretty darn responsive and quiet. As was mentioned on here earlier though, in this early summer heat we're having here in TX though it doesnt kick in too much right now 😅
Same here...I thought I would despise it but I really don't mind. We have the opposite experience in that it does not kick in much in the winter. 🥶

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Would not have considered the BS if it was not possible to disable the Auto/Stop-Start feature.

I am old enough to be considered "old fashioned". :like:

As a former Navy helo pilot, it really annoys me when the engine just shuts off.

Last edited:

JetLee

Big Bend
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I leave it on. Doesn't bother me.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I have a question. Has anyone experienced this? I turn off the auto start/stop feature at the button, when I come to a stop the motor stays on but the green auto stop indicator lights up and the car is in, like neutral. That is, I can take my foot off the brake and the car won't move. Once I hit the gas the trans engages like normal. It's like it's in the auto stop mode without the motor turning off. This happened once, and lasted for about 3 or 4 days then mysteriously went away. It's back again today! Any thoughts?

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
AS/S doesnt activate the first few minutes after you start the car, so that the engine can get warmed up. After that, starting the engine is a hot start, such that the starter has to do almost zero work and the engine self-powers in less than a second. So far less wear than if the engine had to cold start every time. I doubt the batteries or starter will need to be replaced any sooner than a car without AS/S, possible even greater life just because parts get better all the time.

John2Names

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Ive tried it both ways and get 1.5mpg better with it on. I’ve gotten used to it and it doesn’t bother me.

TonyACK

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a question. Has anyone experienced this? I turn off the auto start/stop feature at the button, when I come to a stop the motor stays on but the green auto stop indicator lights up and the car is in, like neutral. That is, I can take my foot off the brake and the car won't move. Once I hit the gas the trans engages like normal. It's like it's in the auto stop mode without the motor turning off. This happened once, and lasted for about 3 or 4 days then mysteriously went away. It's back again today! Any thoughts?
You have the Auto Brake Engaged. It is the switch next to the Electric Brake switch.

tomwbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I try to turn it off whenever I can because I find it really annoying, especially the little jerk in the steering wheel as the power steering shuts down. I have a hard enough time putting on miles to just keep my battery charged and the annoying "Remote features disabled" message off my Ford Pass app and having the engine constantly shutting down doesn't help.

Before I started driving an extra 30 miles a week, which seems to be enough to recharge the battery, the low battery warnings would also disable autostart. Now that I don't get the warnings I have to remember to hit the button.
How much do you drive per week? I have the same problem. My BS is 12 months old and has less than 4k miles on it. In the winter, I was concerned about the battery since autostart wasn't happening, so I was driving extra miles to charge it. But now in the summer, I realize it probably wasn't autostarting due to the cold temps, not the health of the battery. I don't drive any extra miles now and autostart always happens in the first few minutes of the drive.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I rarely drive with a/s stop on. I push the disconnect button after I start up. I also turn the auto lights mode off as well. As before, the a/s stop now goes completely off when I engage the off button. I have no idea why it didn't completely disengage before, but like the first time, it only lasted for a few days. I named her Spooky, and she sure is! Lol!

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm considering it. AAA estimate it can save between 3%-7% on gas, which means, according to my crappy math, that using it would extend a tank of gas like what 20 miles maybe and thats roughly a gallon of gas in my car and thats like what $7?

Looks like Edmunds puts that number closer to 10%
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

So if I use it I could potentially be saving around $30/mo?

I am a person who doesn't like this feature, but with gas prices being what they are and inflation being what it is, I'm considering not turning it off every time to save that bit of cash that I could spend on other things... like beer.
Hi All,
besides that it should rather be called " Auto Stop" .... I like it and see no annoyance with it like so many others. It's a good thing. Regarding winter and colder temperatures - it won't do it, which makes sense.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
How much do you drive per week? I have the same problem. My BS is 12 months old and has less than 4k miles on it. In the winter, I was concerned about the battery since autostart wasn't happening, so I was driving extra miles to charge it. But now in the summer, I realize it probably wasn't autostarting due to the cold temps, not the health of the battery. I don't drive any extra miles now and autostart always happens in the first few minutes of the drive.
I pretty consistently drive 3500 miles a year. I’ve recently added 12 miles a day twice a week and my battery stays charged enough to have auto start work again :frown: and the FordPass app messages disappear:clap:. I work a third day and take my wife’s Explorer once a week to save me from having to occasionally put a charger on her battery. She also drives 3500/year.