Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Have any studies been done on the wear and tear this feature puts on your starter, etc.???

I had a BMW X6 with this feature and I NEVER noticed it turn on or off...it was that smooth. I can feel it in my BS. Another thing about my BMW was that I could turn it off and on...why Ford didn't allow this is beyond me. Probably because of the Govt.
Who let this guy in here……

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I turn it off every time I get in. Feels like I’m running out of fuel when it engages. I hate the delay

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
So I am still waiting on any data that addresses any negatives regarding the STOP/START feature...does the starter wear out sooner---I honestly don't know.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
So I am still waiting on any data that addresses any negatives regarding the STOP/START feature...does the starter wear out sooner---I honestly don't know.
The starter on the BS, and all other cars that use Auto Start/Stop, have been designed for the increased use. I'm pretty sure Engineering Explained on YouTube did a segment on this, that would be a great place for you to start your research.

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
I'm considering it. AAA estimate it can save between 3%-7% on gas, which means, according to my crappy math, that using it would extend a tank of gas like what 20 miles maybe and thats roughly a gallon of gas in my car and thats like what $7?

Looks like Edmunds puts that number closer to 10%
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

So if I use it I could potentially be saving around $30/mo?

I am a person who doesn't like this feature, but with gas prices being what they are and inflation being what it is, I'm considering not turning it off every time to save that bit of cash that I could spend on other things... like beer.
Sure - ever try and turn your car off and on 50 times a day - likely will need a pricey starter in the future. Our other cars have a smaller battery for the car just for the restart. So know you are looking at replacing two batteries down the road. Yikes

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Poor guy got banned too bad really bc he was a cont….cont…connnnt…..continuing source of inspiration

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Poor guy got banned too bad really bc he was a cont….cont…connnnt…..continuing source of inspiration
Bummer, I was starting to enjoy picking on him.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Does this mean I can stop opening and closing my garage door? And I won't get banned for not completing my damage survey?:handsinair:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I turn it off. Lots of 4 way stops.
Yeah that's a deal where it would be a nuisance. We have a mile by mile grid mostly regulated by lights. So it may happen once every five miles? That isn't as extreme, I can see why you would disable it. Ford added the feature for it's fuel efficiency ratings. It can be permanently disabled with Forscan I believe

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Does this mean I can stop opening and closing my garage door? And I won't get banned for not completing my damage survey?:handsinair:
Yes please stop self harm, in the name of research. We appreciate your dedication to science but we'd rather you stay healthy.
Sponsored