Big bend tire sizes -- what AT tires won’t rub??

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Does anyone have any feedback on 245/65/17 on stock 17" BL wheels on UNEVEN surfaces or mild OFF-ROAD conditions?

Just because it doesn't rub on flat pavement doesn't mean it won't rub off-road, where the suspension goes through more severe articulation.

If this size has no rubbing on mild Off-road conditions also, that would be THE size to get, as it looks really good/balanced but still aggressive.
Sponsored

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Does anyone have any feedback on 245/65/17 on stock 17" BL wheels on UNEVEN surfaces or mild OFF-ROAD conditions?

Just because it doesn't rub on flat pavement doesn't mean it won't rub off-road, where the suspension goes through more severe articulation.

If this size has no rubbing on mild Off-road conditions also, that would be THE size to get, as it looks really good/balanced but still aggressive.

See below for my response on this same thread this past Tuesday. I don't have a BL, but I have a BB on stock 17" wheels, which I can't see being that much different than BL wheels. If anything, the BL has an inch higher clearance than the BB, so if I don't have any issues while off-road then you certainly shouldn't.

MattH88 said:
I had the same concern, but @BamaBronco posted a great write up of his experience with 245s.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/bronco-sport-off-road-driving-impressions.1583/#post-32839
Right. I have done some other off-roading than what I posted in the write-up linked above with even more ruts and holes and never had any issues with the tires rubbing or hitting the fender.

I am eventually going to look into getting a suspension lift (hopefully Ford comes out with a factory lift) but that's mainly for ground clearance so I don't scrape bottom on sharper breakover angles.

BeshearsAuto

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Driving on a flat pavement looks to be fine. What about rubbing if you have 245's and some articulation over potholes, frozen and rutted roads, and such...will it rub under those conditions? Otherwise, I may just go to 235/65R17 and no bigger.
I've been on mild offroad trails and haven't had issues. I have not been truly off road and putting the suspension and all to work.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Sure thing. Hopefully someone will get around to doing it at a Ford dealer, if they offer that service.
My dealer said they can’t adjust the vehicle to the tire size. They said Ford removed the ability to do it on new vehicles because Ford does not want the vehicle modified

Megakatx

Big Bend
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My BS BB will come with R18 225/60 any size suggestions?

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
Okay, I had to do it. I have been debating tire size for too many hours over time. I bought the Falken Wildpeaks 245/65r17 on Amazon. Be here in a couple days. My Chase Prime card allows no interest and could not pass up the offer. I'll pay them off soon but always love an interest free transaction on a card. Options. I was going to wait until the fall but I want the "look" and the capability that the Continentals definitely lack for what I encounter. I will see what I can get for my low mileage Continentals.

Good thread for us BB's on tires. I will post after mounting.

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
See below for my response on this same thread this past Tuesday. I don't have a BL, but I have a BB on stock 17" wheels, which I can't see being that much different than BL wheels. If anything, the BL has an inch higher clearance than the BB, so if I don't have any issues while off-road then you certainly shouldn't.

Right. I have done some other off-roading than what I posted in the write-up linked above with even more ruts and holes and never had any issues with the tires rubbing or hitting the fender.

I am eventually going to look into getting a suspension lift (hopefully Ford comes out with a factory lift) but that's mainly for ground clearance so I don't scrape bottom on sharper breakover angles.
Badlands does not have 1 inch lift. It’s maybe .75 at most and the rest of the height comes from the upgraded tires.

245 will rub no matter what anyone wants to say. There is video proof of it on the bronco sport Facebook groups. People want to justify their purchase and say it won’t rub but video proof of BFGs in this size rubbing on a badlands is more than enough to prove it over someone’s word of mouth.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Badlands does not have 1 inch lift. It’s maybe .75 at most and the rest of the height comes from the upgraded tires.

245 will rub no matter what anyone wants to say. There is video proof of it on the bronco sport Facebook groups. People want to justify their purchase and say it won’t rub but video proof of BFGs in this size rubbing on a badlands is more than enough to prove it over someone’s word of mouth.
I never said the BL had a lift, just an extra inch of clearance. But yes, I forgot to mention the minor detail that the way you get that full extra inch of clearance is with the optional tires. Otherwise it may *only* be 0.75". My bad.

If you noticed, I linked another post that was about my experience with the larger tires that I purchased, which are Toyo Open Country ATIIIs, not BFG KO2s. In *my experience*, these tires do not rub. I've been on some trails, driven through pot holes, etc. Unless it's happening and I don't know about it, they do not rub. I feel like I would definitely hear or feel something like that. So why did you bring up KO2s? That comment does not apply to me or anyone else unless that's what they bought. Maybe KO2s rub, but in my experience my Toyos do not.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
Okay, I had to do it. I have been debating tire size for too many hours over time. I bought the Falken Wildpeaks 245/65r17 on Amazon. Be here in a couple days. My Chase Prime card allows no interest and could not pass up the offer. I'll pay them off soon but always love an interest free transaction on a card. Options. I was going to wait until the fall but I want the "look" and the capability that the Continentals definitely lack for what I encounter. I will see what I can get for my low mileage Continentals.

Good thread for us BB's on tires. I will post after mounting.
I chickened out on the 245 Wildpeaks. I went with the stock 225 Wildpeaks, Zander1ni freaked me out. I had looked at my hard turn overs and did not feel comfortable as the Wildpeaks kind of square up from the sidewall to the tread, not the same as BamaBronco. My main concern is the tread pattern on the Continentals just do not shore up for me and I get to keep my speedo accurate.

Last edited:

Cpt.Diabetes

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I really want to go for the 245/65/17 but then I started thinking about the crappy spare the big bend comes with and if I could upgrade it to a full sized spare? Anyone look into that yet or just my mad man thoughts