Anyone else missing the panel under the dash above the passenger side fuse box where the floor air ducts are.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Curses. Foiled again. 🤣
Don’t worry, you still get the added benefit of making it really difficult to get to your internal fuse box when you need to!
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Granted, the panel is not exactly "mission critical" but it does provide some protection for the fan, wires, and connections. It also has some acoustic material to dampen the fan noise.

As Escape2Bronco mentioned, it does make access to the fuses more difficult, but not by much. It becomes a 2/3 step process vs. 1 step.

If BS owners had to mess with the fuses on a regular basis, it might be tempting to leave the panel off, but as a practical matter, it's rare for a fuse to blow in any vehicle -- including the BS. It's essentially a non-issue.

In short, the pros outweigh any potential cons. Ford should not have deleted the panel.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, but neither is the headliner, door panels, etc.

FWIW -- the panel in our BS BL was provided for free.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Granted, the panel is not exactly "mission critical" but it does provide some protection for the fan, wires, and connections. It also has some acoustic material to dampen the fan noise.

As Escape2Bronco mentioned, it does make access to the fuses more difficult, but not by much. It becomes a 2/3 step process vs. 1 step.

If BS owners had to mess with the fuses on a regular basis, it might be tempting to leave the panel off, but as a practical matter, it's rare for a fuse to blow in any vehicle -- including the BS. It's essentially a non-issue.

In short, the pros outweigh any potential cons. Ford should not have deleted the panel.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, but neither is the headliner, door panels, etc.

FWIW -- the panel in our BS BL was provided for free.
You are correct about the added step not being difficult as long as you carry a trim tool or have long fingernails. As for fuses blowing often, you are also correct, but when they do, it’s not normally in the best of times. Regarding the protection of the wires, mine has a large cutout where the wires exit in the upper right hand corner. Not that I think the wires are in any danger of being damaged, I just don’t think that was it’s purpose. The insulation pad would indicate it was for noise, but my ears couldn’t tell the difference with it installed.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else missing the panel under the dash above the passenger side fuse box where the floor air ducts are. IMG_1953

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else missing the panel under the dash above the passenger side fuse box where the floor air ducts are. IMG_1766

Last edited:

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
22 OB, built 12/23/21, looks just like the picture in Post #1.
Likely a container full of them stacked up somewhere in CA.

The folks over on Bronco6G have a "list" of blown 2.7L engines.

Maybe we need to start one on "eliminated" parts for the BS.
1. engine cover
2. engine running light on stop/start button
3. folding rear seat head rests
4. temp setting on temp dials
5. pax side under dash cover
6. towing eye (if you DON'T have OEM factory installed tow pkg)
Towing Eye Location (If Equipped) E265227 The towing eye is in the spare wheel storage tray. If your vehicle does not have a towing eye, one can be purchased at your dealer. Note: You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times. Pg 266 of 2022 owners manual
Small item, don’t forget the pen/pencil holder in the center console.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct about the added step not being difficult as long as you carry a trim tool or have long fingernails. As for fuses blowing often, you are also correct, but when they do, it’s not normally in the best of times. Regarding the protection of the wires, mine has a large cutout where the wires exit in the upper right hand corner. Not that I think the wires are in any danger of being damaged, I just don’t think that was it’s purpose. The insulation pad would indicate it was for noise, but my ears couldn’t tell the difference with it installed.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else missing the panel under the dash above the passenger side fuse box where the floor air ducts are. IMG_1953

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else missing the panel under the dash above the passenger side fuse box where the floor air ducts are. IMG_1766
I didn't think to measure the SPL (db level) before/after installing the panel, or even listen to it, but I'm not surprised that it does not make much difference.

This panel is just one part of several that were either officially deleted by Ford, or left off due to supply issues (to be provided for free ASAP). In some cases these deletions were announced -- but typically not very broadly -- in other cases they were just done quietly and summarily.

In my book, that is unethical. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it's wrong. We all know how Ford would react if we decided to knock even $2 off of our car payment.

Maybe this is the new normal. The last car I bought was a 2002 WRX in 2001. I purchased at least 4 new vehicles prior to the WRX. None had missing parts!

When any of us buy a new product, we expect all of the parts to be included -- large and small. Years ago, I bought an "as-is" A/C unit from Lowe's. It was missing a few parts, which I expected to have to purchase since it was sold as-is. When I called Whirlpool the CSR refused to accept any payment -- she said, "The unit was new, it should have been complete." She apologized and sent all of the parts to us absolutely free.

And that was for an "as-is" sale. We did not buy our BS BL 'as-is'.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 OB, built 12/23/21, looks just like the picture in Post #1.
Likely a container full of them stacked up somewhere in CA.

The folks over on Bronco6G have a "list" of blown 2.7L engines.

Maybe we need to start one on "eliminated" parts for the BS.
1. engine cover
2. engine running light on stop/start button
3. folding rear seat head rests
4. temp setting on temp dials
5. pax side under dash cover
6. towing eye (if you DON'T have OEM factory installed tow pkg)
Towing Eye Location (If Equipped) E265227 The towing eye is in the spare wheel storage tray. If your vehicle does not have a towing eye, one can be purchased at your dealer. Note: You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times. Pg 266 of 2022 owners manual
Of all of the listed parts, the towing eye is clearly the most important.

Ford obviously agrees, because as noted, the manual says, "You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times."

Unfortunately, not all Bronco Sports are delivered with a towing eye. What's worse, the buyer is typically not told that the tow eye is missing. They are left to find out when they are stuck somewhere.

Another concern is that Ford does not tell owners that have the tow package that they cannot use a tow eye on the rear. They need a shackle hitch receiver.

Ford should provide either the towing eye or the shackle hitch receiver, as appropriate.

At a bare minimum, they should inform buyers that they are refusing to provide those essential items so that they know they must purchase them separately.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can @Administrator close these types of thread. no use beating a dead horse. parts are deleted from vehicles because they are unnecessary.
Just to be clear, the towing eye is necessary. Ford says:

"Note: You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times." (Pg 266 of 2022 owners manual).

The other items mentioned my not be absolutely necessary, but neither is a jack or a spare tire (most of the time).

At the very least, if/when parts are deleted, it's reasonable to expect the mfr to let owners and potential buyers know.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Just to be clear, the towing eye is necessary. Ford says:

"Note: You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times." (Pg 266 of 2022 owners manual).

The other items mentioned my not be absolutely necessary, but neither is a jack or a spare tire (most of the time).

At the very least, if/when parts are deleted, it's reasonable to expect the mfr to let owners and potential buyers know.
Yes, I was surprised mine didn't come with that. AFAIK, the BS doesn't have any other recovery points. I'm curious what regular cars use though.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I was surprised mine didn't come with that. AFAIK, the BS doesn't have any other recovery points. I'm curious what regular cars use though.
Towing eyes are common but not universal. I guess the owners of vehicles without them just have to hope that the person recovering their vehicle does not rip off body and/or suspension parts.

Here's a related Reddit thread:

The BS has both front and rear towing eye connection points, and should come equipped with a towing eye, as noted in the owner's manual -- with one exception: The BS BL has hooks on the front, and any BS with the tow package cannot accept a towing eye in the rear (although it *appears* that it can, because the square attachment point cover is still there). So a BS BL with the tow package (like ours) is the exception.

Also, any BS with the tow package should be supplied with a shackle hitch receiver. As is pointed out in the Reddit thread, vehicles do need to be towed from the rear sometimes.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
And, just FYI, the Bronco Sport isn't the only Pony getting a smaller feed bag.
As previously posted, I traded my 22 OBX for a 22 Mustang. Didn't really think anything about it, when running the power cord for my dash camera under the pax side dash. Just zip tied cord where convient. THEN last Friday I obtained a 2021 Mustang and when transferring my dash cam I found the 2021 Mustang has a nice piece of insulated material that is installed under the pax side dash. ??? The fog lights on the 21 Mustang are not on the same trim in 22.
Less "stuff" installed, yet price still increases.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And, just FYI, the Bronco Sport isn't the only Pony getting a smaller feed bag.
As previously posted, I traded my 22 OBX for a 22 Mustang. Didn't really think anything about it, when running the power cord for my dash camera under the pax side dash. Just zip tied cord where convient. THEN last Friday I obtained a 2021 Mustang and when transferring my dash cam I found the 2021 Mustang has a nice piece of insulated material that is installed under the pax side dash. ??? The fog lights on the 21 Mustang are not on the same trim in 22.
Less "stuff" installed, yet price still increases.
To expand upon this subject a bit -- my impression from purchasing a wide variety of products and reading thousands of reviews over the decades is that generally speaking, quality and customer service have been in a downward spiral for years. Corporations are in a race to the bottom.

There's nothing wrong with competition and maximizing profit (when done ethically) but it's gotten to the point where cost-cutting is the main priority. It's so bad that in many cases we cannot find a good quality item at ANY price.

Until fairly recently (maybe 10-15 years ago) there was typically a range of quality (and prices). For example: Harbor Freight; Craftsman; and Snap-On. Now, our choices are often junk, junk, and more junk.

When researching a product, I usually read the 1-star reviews first. They are often so bad that I end up not buying anything. Disregarding the irrelevant reviews -- (box damaged; shipping delayed; wrong color...) and those that are obviously due to "operator error" -- there are usually a large number of very legit-sounding reviews that describe outrageously poor quality and/or customer support (if any).

There's a place for "lowest price!" but it would be nice if some mfrs would buck the trend, build better products, and have friendly, competent, U.S.-based customer support. There are plenty of people who would gladly pay more for that.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
So who's the fool here? Ford deletes some parts, folks buy them, and install themselves....

As I see it, Ford wins.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
can @Administrator close these types of thread. no use beating a dead horse. parts are deleted from vehicles because they are unnecessary.
Just don't open them and comment. Move on to a thread that interests you.
Sponsored