Another reason to hate electric vehicles?

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
A ship in Europe is on fire with 3,000 vehicles on it. The article I read says that one of the 25 electric vehicles caught on fire and the crew could not put it out. If true, that’s a bit scary.

edit: and I avoided adding a link because I read the story in several places and some were oddly biased ; but the one @ScareCrow provided below is good
Sponsored

Last edited:

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
EVs are not going away. Are they ready to replace gas/diesel vehicles completely? No. If you live and drive exclusively in the city, they make sense. As do hybrids. Rurally, hybrids are more expensive to drive than ICE’s. I see a lot of Teslas out here but there is definitely a shortage of charging stations in rural Canada. I know of one Lightning that was sold last summer (I saw it in the showroom when it was being picked up.) and when the cold weather arrived, he was a very, very unhappy camper. His travel range dropped by half in the winter.

In short, battery technology has a long way to go until EVs can replace regular vehicles.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Metal fire is a special kind of fire. There's a reason ships just flood the pyro locker if it lights off.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
EVs are not going away. Are they ready to replace gas/diesel vehicles completely? No. If you live and drive exclusively in the city, they make sense. As do hybrids. Rurally, hybrids are more expensive to drive than ICE’s. I see a lot of Teslas out here but there is definitely a shortage of charging stations in rural Canada. I know of one Lightning that was sold last summer (I saw it in the showroom when it was being picked up.) and when the cold weather arrived, he was a very, very unhappy camper. His travel range dropped by half in the winter.

In short, battery technology has a long way to go until EVs can replace regular vehicles.
Hmmm. An EV that catches fire in a city can do a whole lot more damage I'd think.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting post title…

studies show the risk of fire in EVs isn't higher than that of gas cars but haven’t seen a post with the title Another reason to hate gas vehicles.

However … the majority of car fires occur with older model cars. There aren't many older EVs on the road (yet). So maybe it’s a good thing the EVs battery pack doesn’t last long 😉

Also this is interesting:

Ford Bronco Sport Another reason to hate electric vehicles? 1690460355057

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hybrid vehicles pose--by far--the highest fire risk. EVs are a distant third behind ICE vehicles.

Propulsion
Fires per 100k vehicles
Total number of fires
Hybrid​
3474.5​
16,051​
Gas​
1529.9​
199,533​
Electric​
25.1​
52​

There are a lot of car fires annually here in America.

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hybrid vehicles pose--by far--the highest fire risk. EVs are a distant third behind ICE vehicles.

Propulsion
Fires per 100k vehicles
Total number of fires
Hybrid​
3474.5​
16,051​
Gas​
1529.9​
199,533​
Electric​
25.1​
52​

That makes sense to me. Hybrids have double the systems that can fail. EVs are no where near as numerous as either gas or hybrids.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Propulsion
Fires per 100k vehicles
Total number of fires
Hybrid​
3474.5​
16,051​
Gas​
1529.9​
199,533​
Electric​
25.1​
52​

Yep same info I saw. My immediate thought it was the gas engine in the Hybrids 🙀

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Propulsion
Fires per 100k vehicles
Total number of fires
Hybrid​
3474.5​
16,051​
Gas​
1529.9​
199,533​
Electric​
25.1​
52​

I don't think the issue is the number of fires in electric vehicles, it's the "runaway" nature of the fires that do occur. Once a lithium battery catches fire, it burns very quickly and very hot. We have managed to design around the dangers of carrying roughly 15 gallons (or more) of liquid fuel and maintain a fairly low death and/or damage rate from ICE fires. So far, we have not done that for lithium batteries.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the issue is the number of fires in electric vehicles, it's the "runaway" nature of the fires that do occur. Once a lithium battery catches fire, it burns very quickly and very hot. We have managed to design around the dangers of carrying roughly 15 gallons (or more) of liquid fuel and maintain a fairly low death and/or damage rate from ICE fires. So far, we have not done that for lithium batteries.
Yep it’s taken decades including for auto racing to design for safety in carrying gasoline and EVs are essentially in their infancy so should be relatively quick design changes coming. Solid-state batteries are thought to be safer in cases of external heating (fires) but remain susceptible to short circuits and can catch fire just as easily as lithium-ion batteries. Blue hydrogen fuel cells seem attractive but many issues remain to be solved. Maybe a breakthrough in safe dependable nuclear powered vehicles will bring that to neighborhoods near you.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
A ship in Europe is on fire with 3,000 vehicles on it. The article I read says that one of the 25 electric vehicles caught on fire and the crew could not put it out. If true, that’s a bit scary.

edit: and I avoided adding a link because I read the story in several places and some were oddly biased ; but the one @ScareCrow provided below is good
I think that's why Ford chose the Mustang Mach E name instead of Pinto. The ice mustang has to be in running condition to hurt people 😁

Foad

First Edition
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yes but an EV requires at least 8000 gallons of water to put it out.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I agree lithium ion battery fires are definitely more difficult to extinguish, but you seem to also imply deaths occur more frequently with EV fires than with ICE/hybrid vehicle fires. I haven't seen stats on this. Have you?

So far, we have not done that for lithium batteries.
Many EV manufacturers are switching from lithium ion to lithium iron phosphate batteries, in part due to their greater thermal stability and resistance to thermal runaway.
Sponsored