Another reason to hate electric vehicles?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
still too expensive.
Sponsored

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
1909 and I am considering purchasing one of these new Ford Model T vehicles. But these vehicles are using an ICE to propel itself. I am not sure if I want to trade in my horse and buggy.

How will we ever have enough oil and refining capacity along with enough stations to fill my fuel tank? Plus, I hear that this fuel is very flammable.

My horse and buggy looks better the more I look at these ICE vehicles.
Amen!

BFunk II

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport BL/BL
I'm not talking about Tigger but he did kind of imply it maybe, but I just don't understand the "Hate" for the EV. Am I going to buy an EV? No. Will my neighbor buy one? Maybe. In which case, I could give two sheetz what my neighbor does with his money as long as he acts like an Adult when operating and caring for it. (believe me, both sides WILL have their knuckleheads)

I know where it is coming from I guess, (and I am not going to go there) but I just hope that people continue to ask questions rather than repeat nonsense just because they think that two wrongs make a right. Variety is the spice of life people. Your thing won't go flying off because another EV car joined your neighborhood.

thomasm23 is spot on with his comment. Except just understand the ICE "horse and buggy" is not going anywhere in most members lifetime. I think he was being a bit cheeky.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I agree lithium ion battery fires are definitely more difficult to extinguish, but you seem to also imply deaths occur more frequently with EV fires than with ICE/hybrid vehicle fires. I haven't seen stats on this. Have you?

Many EV manufacturers are switching from lithium ion to lithium iron phosphate batteries, in part due to their greater thermal stability and resistance to thermal runaway.
LiFePO4 batteries are popular with RVers because of their safety (we have a pair).

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Besides EVs, these and more also contain lithium batteries and bet most of you heard these have also cause fires.

E-bikes
e-scooters
Hover boards,
self-balancing e-scooters,
unicycle e-scooters, etc.

So where would you keep the batteries for these (if even are removable), inside the house to keep an eye on the battery or outside in the garage?

Pros and cons of both choices. Inside the house is a more constant temperature and for sure while charging these batteries it’s best to monitor the charging. An expanding battery or one getting hot to the touch while charging is a cause for alarm. Keeping outside in the garage usually has wider temp extremes and where I live the outdoor temp in the summer easily exceeds the storage temperature of many lithium batteries.

I keep my E-bike battery (710Wh, 19.6Ah, 36.3V) inside the house in an area I see it multiple times a day but of course I’m only monitoring it while it’s under charge and only charge to about 80-90%.

There are many more good practices to use for lithium batteries, the above info is only the “beginner” guide, read the manual that comes with a lithium battery product thoroughly.
There have been a lot of fires with those devices -- particularly e-bikes.

The main cause seems to be that many of the products are very cheap and use batteries and controllers that are not UL-listed, and/or the owners buy cheap unlisted replacement batteries.

Side note -- I'm looking at e-bikes. Which one do you have? There seem to be hundreds of mfrs, and the prices range from <$1,000 to $15,000+. I'm looking for bikes that are actually 'bicycles' (not electric scooters or motorcycles) but have some torque -- either two hub drive motors or one big one in the rear.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the great info Dude!

If we get a pair of e-bikes they'd replace our Suzuki DRZ-400 that we carry on the RV. The idea is to reduce weight and each have our own ride. I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier I bought for the BS BL (the one Ford sells). I could modify it to carry 2 bikes. Needless to say, I don't expect an e-bike to come close to the DRZ in performance, but I've found some bikes that are acceptable (hill climbing and top speed). The problem is that very few look like an ordinary bike. I'd rather not attract unwanted attention.

Since this is only tangentially related to the OP, I'll message you as you suggested. I suppose we could start a separate thread if there's interest.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't hate electric vehicles but I do hate the current process and the resources needed to make the batteries which is highly destructive, it's the next elephant in the room that is being ignored.

Last edited:

BenOutside85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Subaru Outback
I love the idea of electric vehicles, however I too would like the government to stop shoving them down our throat. There's benefits for sure, but many (including gov) want to ignore other facts.

Greener yes, but not as green as they'd like to make you think considering power plants that provide the electricity to charge these vehicles get 40% from fossil fuels, the recycling nightmare of lithium batteries and the fact that power grids aren't ready for mass electric vehicle adoption and the charging networks are still not numerous enough for everyone who doesn't just city commute.

But a huge issue not enough people are talking about are the deplorable conditions that humans are working to mine cobalt for our electric devices/vehicles.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV's and electric bikes are simply too expensive. When the manufacturers realize this and make them affordable to the masses, I'll consider one.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Greener yes, but not as green as they'd like to make you think considering power plants that provide the electricity to charge these vehicles get 40% from fossil fuels, the recycling nightmare of lithium batteries and the fact that power grids aren't ready for mass electric vehicle adoption and the charging networks are still not numerous enough for everyone who doesn't just city commute.
One thing to keep in mind is the classic quote, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good".

But a huge issue not enough people are talking about are the deplorable conditions that humans are working to mine cobalt for our electric devices/vehicles.
This is definitely something that needs to be dealt with.

BFunk II

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport BL/BL
Forced down your throat? Again, not sure I understand this. Don't buy one dude. If you really are being forced I apologize, I would contact the authorities and a lawyer immediately. If this is the case you have a monster lawsuit on your hands. I am just trying to wrap my brain around the negative attitude towards EV's. Let's not act like the Oil Companies are looking out for our best interests. Good luck to you.

I suspect you have someone talking in your ear.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Nope, never. Can not afford or want one.

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Nope, never. Can not afford or want one.
Not yet. Not until they take care of the huge demand for electricity without going back coal fired plants. Not until they improve battery tech significantly. Maybe so they don’t lose half their range when it’s cold out.

When they have durable solar shingles on every house, vertical wind turbines in every yard and how about getting that fusion reactor invented.

BenOutside85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Subaru Outback
Forced down your throat? Again, not sure I understand this. Don't buy one dude. If you really are being forced I apologize, I would contact the authorities and a lawyer immediately. If this is the case you have a monster lawsuit on your hands. I am just trying to wrap my brain around the negative attitude towards EV's. Let's not act like the Oil Companies are looking out for our best interests. Good luck to you.

I suspect you have someone talking in your ear.
That's fine if you don't agree. My point is that there is a lot of progress in regards to EV's to still be made and plenty of facts that many don't know about EV's that should be out in the open more.
Also, they will be forced on some people eventually with already 7 states looking to ban gas powered cars by 2035 and I'd gather more will announce similar plans in the near future.

Of course oil companies don't have our best interests at heart. There are downsides and difficulties to every type of power, so it seems to me instead of banning one or another, that really relying on a combination of types to various degrees is what will keep us adaptable and help keep prices lower.

Also, you can have a contrary opinion without injecting sarcasm and trollish statements like 'good luck to you' and 'I suspect you have someone talking in your ear'.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I read this post, the advertisement came up at the bottom...how ironic:

Ford Bronco Sport Another reason to hate electric vehicles? Gas.PNG
Sponsored