wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just got back from a long road trip to my home state of Iowa to attend a funeral.

In June I did a 2700 mile trip to Yellowstone and did a post about that trip previously. On that trip I averaged an actual 26.8 MPG, pen & paper calculations.

2021 Badlands.

This trip I did 4,189 miles. I left trip 1 on the dash readout calculate the whole trip. It showed a 28.6 MPG overall, but the actual was 26.9 with about 220 miles of town driving. Almost the exact MPG as my previous trip.

Going from SoCal, it was I-15 thru Nevada and Utah to I-70 east into Colorado, then I-76 Colorado to Nebraska onto I-80 into Iowa.
Return trip was I-80 thru Nebraska, Wyoming, to I-15 south in Utah and home. A lot of climbing mountains, headwinds and tailwinds.

Used either 87 or 88 octane fuel. Prices were jumping up a lot during the whole trip.

I have Adaptive Cruise Control and used it the whole trip. On any future vehicles I own, it will be a must have.

The only issue was the Sync 3 Navigation. I had on the speed limit sign
recognition which worked ok. But even though the map version I have is the latest update, there were numerous times when it thought the speed limit was lower even though no sign was present.

It abruptly dropped from 75 to 55 or 45 mph.

The only thing I can think of is the map version showed previous road construction on the Interstate and a lower speed limit even though construction was completed. This probably happened at least 10 times.

Quite a surprise to suddenly feel the brakes applied and a quick speed drop. Actually a safety issue if someone is following you closely including 18 wheelers.

26 MPG is the stated highway mileage on the window sticker so I'm happy to see it's close to what I've been getting.

I have the Wildpeaks and with 15K miles on them. They are wearing well. Going thru Vegas and Mesquite the temperature was about 110 degrees. I set the tire pressure to 33 PSI as recommended. It rose as high as 41 PSI with the heat thru Vegas.

End of report.
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hmmm I don’t think it is Navigation causing the vehicle to slow down. I suspect it is the Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering, Speed Sign Recognition

NOTE: Adaptive Cruise Control with Speed Sign Recognition = Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control

I disabled that feature to avoid being rear ended for the reason you stated.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hmmm I don’t think it is Navigation causing the vehicle to slow down. I suspect it is the Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering, Speed Sign Recognition

NOTE: Adaptive Cruise Control with Speed Sign Recognition = Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control

I disabled that feature to avoid being rear ended for the reason you stated.
There were no speed limit signs present when these happened. Open road, nothing around to trigger the braking. That's what's confusing.

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
There were no speed limit signs present when these happened. Open road, nothing around to trigger the braking. That's what's confusing.
I've noticed on the long back-country roads that have many, many miles between speed signs that the system eventually drops the last speed sign it "saw" and goes with what's stored in the navigation system. Only really noticeable if there was a somewhat recent change in the speed limit.

I definitely disabled the part of the adaptive cruise control system that automatically speeds up or slows down with speed signs. It either floors the gas or slams on the brakes to adjust the speed, both of which are somewhat startling when there was no sign change!

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
All these sudden slow down episodes were on interstate highways.

No speed limits signs or any indication the speed limit had changed.

I do remember the speed limit sign on the dash flashing 55 or even 45 when these
occurred.

That's why I think this is a map data base issue being outdated. Road construction at some point and now the regular speed limit is in effect.

It did look like the concrete or blacktop was newer in the area.

Hopefully with the new map update coming out mid August a lot of these errors will be corrected.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I just did a similar trip in mine. 75 hours of drive time and 4,300 miles. I had the same issue with the cruise suddenly dropping to a lower speed for no reason. Cruise set at 80 on the interstate. No signs on side of the road, Google maps still showing 80 mph, and dozens of times it would suddenly drop to 60 mph out of nowhere. Cruising along in the middle of nowhere with no signs and no vehicles around and it was like slamming the brakes on. Very annoying and possibly dangerous if a vehicle is behind you.

Only other problem I had was in Northern Minnesota. They had county road signs that were white squares with black lettering. Tsr thought they were speed signs if the number ended in a 0 or 5. Speed limit of 35 mph and you pass by county road 80 and suddenly it drops a gear and tries to do 80 mph. Same if you are doing 65 and pass by county road 35 as an example. Annoying but I can't really fault the system on that one.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
In June we did a 900 mi round trip my wife's 2021 BS/BB towing my wife's 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan from southern Virginia to southern NJ. Towed it without a problem, even with the hills in Virginia, West Virginia, & Maryland.

Ford Bronco Sport Another long road trip in the "Brick" 100_2118.JPG

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I didn't think I needed adaptive speed control or the navigation. Sounds like I may have made the right decision.

I plug in my phone and use the WAZE app. It has been accurate on the speed limit in almost all cases. It doesn't actually tell you the speed limit until you exceed it, which is a little annoying, but once you do exceed the limit it displays a speed limit sign and your speed.

Another nice feature for you speeders, (almost everyone in NM) is it can tell you where the speed traps are. As you drive, if you see a cop, you mark it, and everyone using the app can see it. It also works for hazards on or near the road.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I didn't think I needed adaptive speed control or the navigation. Sounds like I may have made the right decision.
There are some peculiarities with adaptive cruise, especially if you enable speed control based on signage, but overall it's a nice tool to have in the driver's toolkit. You may not find a lot of use for it on the wide-open roads out there in New Mexico, but if you spend any time in heavy traffic around a major metro area I think you'd come to appreciate the "adaptive" part of adaptive cruise.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
"You may not find a lot of use for it on the wide-open roads out there in New Mexico, but if you spend any time in heavy traffic around a major metro area I think you'd come to appreciate the "adaptive" part of adaptive cruise. can tell you I'll never know."

I can tell you I"ll never find out.
Sponsored