stubinjr

Big Bend
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Similar to this post (https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/complete-shut-down-while-driving.10128/), my 2022 Sport Big Bend will go through the auto start-stop feature, but then will not start upon trying to re-start again. The process goes like this:

-vehicle comes to a complete stop
-automatic engine start-stop feature occurs and the engine turns off
-driver releases foot off the brake
-engine doesn't turn over

Upon trying to start the engine, the dashboard just flickers (I have video of the dashboard attached). We were able to fix it the 1st time it happened by removing the terminals from the battery, but the other 2 times it happened, nothing could be done. It happened this past Sunday and we had to have it towed, and with the vehicle locked up, the wheels didn't move when getting towed. The dealership pretty much blamed me for disconnecting the battery this most recent time, as that apparently clears all data from the vehicle's logs? Just my perception knowing how computers work, but there should still be some level of data retention, even if the battery gets disconnected?

I've taken the vehicle to 2 different dealerships. Dean Sellers Ford in Troy has had the vehicle 2 separate times. We permitted the mechanic to drive it to/from the dealership to his house for about 200 miles and he couldn't replicate the issue. Now the vehicle is back at the dealership since last Sunday and they cannot replicate the issue again.

I'm asking for help from someone to look into this on a deeper level and provide an actual fix. This is a substantial security and safety concern to have the engine turn off and refuse to turn back on. If someone can please help, I've attached some video of what the dashboard/vehicle was behaving like last weekend. There is a photo that shows a notification from the Ford Pass app about remote features being disabled to preserve battery.

We have paid for the extended warranty and really want Ford to help us out in this case, please let me know what other information is needed, thank you!

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 Big Bend Sport auto start-stop feature causes engine to die IMG_1983.PNG
Sponsored

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Did anybody test the battery? You have remote features disabled, random electrical errors (pre-collision assist not available), the car won't start, one of your videos a passenger complains about a bad odor of rotten eggs (which can be a smell from an overcharged battery, hydrogen sulfide gas escaping the battery). Rotten egg smells can come from other sources, but it is concerning that it would be occurring at a time where you were unable to restart your vehicle.

This is how the vehicle should have been put into neutral for towing:
Transmission - Automatic Transmission

Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Check your battery ground....has been an issue with a few folk!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Similar to this post (https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/complete-shut-down-while-driving.10128/), my 2022 Sport Big Bend will go through the auto start-stop feature, but then will not start upon trying to re-start again. The process goes like this:

-vehicle comes to a complete stop
-automatic engine start-stop feature occurs and the engine turns off
-driver releases foot off the brake
-engine doesn't turn over

Upon trying to start the engine, the dashboard just flickers (I have video of the dashboard attached). We were able to fix it the 1st time it happened by removing the terminals from the battery, but the other 2 times it happened, nothing could be done. It happened this past Sunday and we had to have it towed, and with the vehicle locked up, the wheels didn't move when getting towed. The dealership pretty much blamed me for disconnecting the battery this most recent time, as that apparently clears all data from the vehicle's logs? Just my perception knowing how computers work, but there should still be some level of data retention, even if the battery gets disconnected?

I've taken the vehicle to 2 different dealerships. Dean Sellers Ford in Troy has had the vehicle 2 separate times. We permitted the mechanic to drive it to/from the dealership to his house for about 200 miles and he couldn't replicate the issue. Now the vehicle is back at the dealership since last Sunday and they cannot replicate the issue again.

I'm asking for help from someone to look into this on a deeper level and provide an actual fix. This is a substantial security and safety concern to have the engine turn off and refuse to turn back on. If someone can please help, I've attached some video of what the dashboard/vehicle was behaving like last weekend. There is a photo that shows a notification from the Ford Pass app about remote features being disabled to preserve battery.

We have paid for the extended warranty and really want Ford to help us out in this case, please let me know what other information is needed, thank you!

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 Big Bend Sport auto start-stop feature causes engine to die IMG_1983.PNG
Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your preferred Ford dealer so I can look into this engine concern? Thank you!

OP
OP

stubinjr

Big Bend
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Did anybody test the battery? You have remote features disabled, random electrical errors (pre-collision assist not available), the car won't start, one of your videos a passenger complains about a bad odor of rotten eggs (which can be a smell from an overcharged battery, hydrogen sulfide gas escaping the battery). Rotten egg smells can come from other sources, but it is concerning that it would be occurring at a time where you were unable to restart your vehicle.

This is how the vehicle should have been put into neutral for towing:
Transmission - Automatic Transmission
Both of the dealerships tested the battery, the 1st dealership did a test of each cell in the battery back in September. The dealership it's at now also tested the battery. Thank you for the link on how to put the vehicle into neutral for towing, it is so much more difficult without the key these days.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
With all of the electrical loads, it wo8uld sure be nice to have a volt meter on the dash.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
With all of the electrical loads, it wo8uld sure be nice to have a volt meter on the dash.
This works ok, not on the dash but close enough

Jebsens USB C Car Charger Adapter with Voltage Display, 30W Cigarette Lighter Type C Fast Charge Power Delivery & Quick Charge 3.0 (PD & QC), Volt Meter Battery Monitor, Compatible with iPhone Galaxy https://a.co/d/58NvHNq

freddyboy47

Outer Banks
First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does that voltage display fit and look OK in the nook we have in the BS?