First Name
Ale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport
Hi All
I have A 2022 OB Sport… 36k miles.
it’s been twice in one month that I’ve had to tow the car on a flat bed because the car completely shuts down while driving. The first time left me stranded in the middle of the highway during rush hour, and last night on the intersection, in rush hour.
when it shuts down nothing works, absolutely nothing, not even the hazard lights. All electrical features are disabled, the wheels lock, can’t turn it back on.

I’ve taken it to Ford and they claim they can’t recreate the issue and they deemed the car “fine”. A car that randomly shuts down is not “fine”. I’ve asked them to check batteries, alternator, maybe there could be a short circuit… idk, I’m not a mechanic just going by common sense, but the people at Ford claim they hook up the computer, all the error messages were cleared (erased) and the car is fine… all that means to me is that they reset the computer, that just eliminates error messages, but doesn’t solve the issue.
last night I was told it could even be a network problem….
has anyone encountered this and what was your outcome?
thanks!
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
You've been documenting it with visits to Ford, that is good. Leave it there until you get a definitive diagnoses, and repair.

A vehicle shutting down on any road is placing yourself in a dangerous situation, and that is not acceptable.

My wife and I had a similar issue in that a BMW we owned would not start randomly. When we would take it in (warranty), they could not duplicate the issue. After 3 failures, it finally demonstrated the issue with their mechanic, who was testing it every hour for a day.

They eventually initiated the Lemon law, as they replaced several items, and even flew in an expert BMW mechanic who was unable to locate the issue.

They placed us into an upgraded model.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi All
it’s been twice in one month that I’ve had to tow the car on a flat bed because the car completely shuts down while driving. The first time left me stranded in the middle of the highway during rush hour, and last night on the intersection, in rush hour.
when it shuts down nothing works, absolutely nothing, not even the hazard lights. All electrical features are disabled, the wheels lock, can’t turn it back on.

I’ve taken it to Ford and they claim they can’t recreate the issue and they deemed the car “fine”. A car that randomly shuts down is not “fine”. I’ve asked them to check batteries, alternator, maybe there could be a short circuit… idk, I’m not a mechanic just going by common sense, but the people at Ford claim they hook up the computer, all the error messages were cleared (erased) and the car is fine… all that means to me is that they reset the computer, that just eliminates error messages, but doesn’t solve the issue.
thanks!
Hey there. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealer you have been working with? I would like to take a closer look at these shut down issues.

Bronchette

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OB/17 Forester/90 Celica/98 Sierra/16 Silverado
Hey there. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealer you have been working with? I would like to take a closer look at these shut down issues.
Thank you so much for looking into this for this individual. As a new owner, I'm very interested in these kinds of issues that affect the safety of the driver and the occupants of the vehicle. There's nothing more important than the safety and reliability of a machine used in public transportation.

OP
OP

Ale

Outer Banks
First Name
Ale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport
Agreed.
So far they’ve refused to call or engage directly with the ford mechanics because the computer doesn’t show issues.
thank you. Just sent you the information.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
Random shutdown issues are the hardest ones to fix. I have had three cars with this issue. My old 3-series BMW with 218 miles started shutting down every five miles and the dealer identified five possible fixes, all expensive, and asked me which one I wanted to try first. I donated that car to charity. My wife's 2006 low mileage Subaru Forrester did that and I kept throwing new sensors at it until it seemed reliable to me but my wife still did not trust it. My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid now keeps shutting down with a "Stop Safely Now" error and my Ford dealership is clueless on how to fix it. Most of the time it leaves OBD2 codes that are kind of vague. If Ford cannot resolve your issue, I would consider trading it in on a new car.

Reactions: Ale

S Duncan

Outer Banks
First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You've been documenting it with visits to Ford, that is good. Leave it there until you get a definitive diagnoses, and repair.

A vehicle shutting down on any road is placing yourself in a dangerous situation, and that is not acceptable.

My wife and I had a similar issue in that a BMW we owned would not start randomly. When we would take it in (warranty), they could not duplicate the issue. After 3 failures, it finally demonstrated the issue with their mechanic, who was testing it every hour for a day.

They eventually initiated the Lemon law, as they replaced several items, and even flew in an expert BMW mechanic who was unable to locate the issue.

They placed us into an upgraded model.
Wow!
Hi All

thanks!
This is concerning, I really would like to know if there are others this has happened to. Hope Ford gets this resolved. Thanks for posting, keep us updated.

Reactions: Ale

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Random shutdown issues are the hardest ones to fix. I have had three cars with this issue. My old 3-series BMW with 218 miles started shutting down every five miles and the dealer identified five possible fixes, all expensive, and asked me which one I wanted to try first. I donated that car to charity. My wife's 2006 low mileage Subaru Forrester did that and I kept throwing new sensors at it until it seemed reliable to me but my wife still did not trust it. My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid now keeps shutting down with a "Stop Safely Now" error and my Ford dealership is clueless on how to fix it. Most of the time it leaves OBD2 codes that are kind of vague. If Ford cannot resolve your issue, I would consider trading it in on a new car.
As of late, I'm reading more and more on this site of issues that can't seem to be fixed, or diagnosed on a first (or second) visit.

I go out and smile at my other two rides each day (2007 Ford F-150 and 1967 Camaro).

Granted, these reported events on this site (and others perhaps) are few, but disturbing to me none the less. I have yet to experience any issues with our 2023 BS, but then again, we have not put on very many miles on it (under 3K with almost 8 months of ownership).

I like our BS; just concerned about the issues I read here from other owners that have had unsatisfactory issues and repairs done on the first go-around.

Last edited:

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It would stand to reason that as cars become more and more complex the electrical gremlins would multiply. A sudden shut down is a very bad thing and could be linked to any number of sensors/systems.

Just yesterday I got in the Bronco, put my key in the cubby below the radio and the dash told me "no key detected." It was running, and drove without issue. Go figure.

OP
OP

Ale

Outer Banks
First Name
Ale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport
Not sure if it helps. My old Ford escape 2012 had this issue and it would drain the battery. It was a short circuit. Ford dealer fixed it, for $900, and didn’t happen again. I sold It and bought the bronco… reconsidering those life choices now.
It would stand to reason that as cars become more and more complex the electrical gremlins would multiply. A sudden shut down is a very bad thing and could be linked to any number of sensors/systems.

Just yesterday I got in the Bronco, put my key in the cubby below the radio and the dash told me "no key detected." It was running, and drove without issue. Go figure.
Happened to me too. I keep it in the cup holder or my purse, pocket… same thing happens with the cubby above the radio.

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Happened to me too. I keep it in the cup holder or my purse, pocket… same thing happens with the cubby above the radio.
First time I've ever had that issue with that location. The key fell under the passenger seat once and I got the notice... but still could drive.

Broncoette

Outer Banks
First Name
Be Kind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I

Be careful with this warning. I had this warning a couple times, the car started and I thought all was well. Within a day or 2 my BS OB completely failed while stopped at a red light. Battery replaced, then car failed again a week later.

Last edited:

Broncoette

Outer Banks
First Name
Be Kind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi All

thanks!
Recently the same thing happened to me. Search my user name for more details.

First time they replaced the battery, 2nd time was a bad/loose ground wire. I'm sure the 2 incidents are connected to one another.

Good luck with a diagnosis/fix.

Broncoette

Outer Banks
First Name
Be Kind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is simply someone monitoring social media accounts. I don't know how much help they will really give you.
Sponsored