MrJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '99 Ram, 08 Explorer, 16 CMax
I briefly test drove a big bend at my dealership without the big bend package. I thought for a smaller engine it has good acceleration, the ride feels solid over bumps, not uncomfortable. It does sit high and looking over the hood has a good view but you could notice the bulbous hood. I sat behind myself and felt a little cramped (I'm 6 feet). I drive a 2018 Rav4 and I thought it did feel roomy in the front but in the rear feels more compact. I had a good impression from the big bend so hopefully the badlands I'd be stoked

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160203

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160554

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160310

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160644

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160650

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160134

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160139
How did you like the color? Did you see a hint of green?
Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The only problem with the Trailhawk is that the "Cherokee" Trailhawk does not have leather seats and the headlamp upgrades. The Grand Cherokee version has those options, but it does not have the off-road suspension. Sometimes I wonder if auto makers really want to make people happy and make sales.
The 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk has leather seats and all LED external lighting. The leather seats have some cloth sections at the small of you back and right under your butt. I actually like that.

https://www.ganleyaurorachrysler.com/inventoryphotos/3032/1c4pjmbxxmd100893/ip/12.jpg?height=400

They did away with the elite option this year and rolled those upgrades into the base model and one of the packages.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
How did you like the color? Did you see a hint of green?
I like the color. I do see a hint of green. It does look like a color of a cactus. I was in between choosing cactus gray or area51. I more into blues so I reserved a Area51 Badlands. I just wanted to see how a lower trim model drives, but that's all they had for now

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
From The Bronco Owners manual:

"A message is displayed in the information display if the system overheats and switches to front-wheel drive. This condition could occur if you operate your vehicle in extreme high-load conditions or with excessive wheel slip, for example deep sand. To resume four-wheel drive function as soon as possible, stop your vehicle in a safe location and switch the ignition off for a minimum of 10 minutes. After the system cools, normal four-wheel drive functionality resumes. "

You're not going to find a warning like that on any vehicle with a real locking rear diff.
Since the rear power transfer is supposed to have come from the Focus RS I thought it would be interesting to look into how that faired... Drifting and Sand mode would seem to be similar power transfer setups. If Badlands Sport is similar it may in fact not have temperature sensor either, but controller relies on other sensors like wheel spin and duration o spin to determine that the use exceeds the design. At that point simply reverts to front wheel drive operation. Only a curiosity to me since don't plan to either drift or drive on sand.

"Drifting the Focus RS at its launch in 2016.
LEE BRIMBLE
In a hot day of hard lapping at the Thermal Club in Palm Desert, I never experienced a “Rear Drive Unit Disengagement,” which was reported in a lot of RS enthusiast forums. Falsely attributed to an “overheating rear differential,” the RDU (which, FYI, does not have a temperature sensor to tell the engine of “overheating") is programmed to disengage through a series of “If X, then Y” algorithms in the ECU. If the car decides you are driving it in too abusive of a manner and might blow the thing up, it will disengage to save itself from your bad driving. The racing drivers at Mountune have never gotten their RDU to disengage, either. Some folks in the know, when asked about people’s claims of disengagement, responded to the effect of, “You have to drive it like a real asshole to get that to happen.”

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I like the color. I do see a hint of green. It does look like a color of a cactus. I was in between choosing cactus gray or area51. I more into blues so I reserved a Area51 Badlands. I just wanted to see how a lower trim model drives, but that's all they had for now
I'm deciding between a 2019+ RAV4 or 1.5 L Bronco Sport. Anything else stand out between the two? I know you have the older design, but still curious about your thoughts as a current RAV4 owner. Ty.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
It is true 4x4. You say improper locking rear diff that’s your opinion. The fact is they use a different method to lock the rear diff not an improper one. The trailhawk is heavier and requires more power and low range. Ford is more reliable than Jeep.

bandlands > cherokee trailhawk
Bronco 2/4 > wrangler
Raptor is greater than gladiator
It is a simulated lock system, using a twin-clutch system with viscous fluid. That is what creates the heat under aggressive use and even many of the Bronco folks at the sister site (yep, Ford fans) call it what it is. I would say "clamped" rather than "locked" as the latter implies a hard mechanical coupling. Ford went this route to provide "locker-type" capability at the price/performance point of this vehicle. If it overheats (which it has), then some can certainly criticize it. But comparing engine overheating to differential overheating is apples and oranges.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
It uses a different method to make all the wheels on the rear axle move at the same speed... which is what a locking rear diff does. Like I said a different method to accomplishing this phenomenon.

This system doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a true 4x4 system. The fact that one lady, driving it like a mad woman (her words), made it over heat doesn’t mean it’s not a capable off road vehicle.

Ford went this route to provide an authentic small suv that performs on and off-road at a competitive price. Just because some “folks” or haters don’t like the way they did that, doesn’t mean it’s not a capable vehicle with true yes true 4x4.

You say my comparison is apples to oranges, you’re missing my point. My point is vehicles have different systems and all systems fail when stressed due to user error, purposeful or not. Or are you claiming that all new vehicles that are being tested with locking rear diff never fail or over heat the engine when putting it through extreme stress.
I agree that the purpose is to act like a locker and it will likely meet the needs of the Bronco Sport Badlands. I understand your point that it is a different system that meets the needs for this vehicle.
To point out that it is not the same as a traditional locker is a technical distinction, worthy of discussion. Not everyone that discusses the merits and liabilities of different systems is a "hater". It is part of a deeper technical discussion that some may find interesting. There is a lot of "new and different" technology on these vehicles - three cylinders, wet timing belts, dual-clutch differentials, and so on. These items and their pros and cons, should merit discussion and debate without chapping butts or offending Bronco Sport enthusiasts. That was my point, there is a technical difference here, and it shouldn't be glossed over. No hater here, just defending the analytics.

DropTheWorld

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I'm deciding between a 2019+ RAV4 or 1.5 L Bronco Sport. Anything else stand out between the two? I know you have the older design, but still curious about your thoughts as a current RAV4 owner. Ty.
If considering hybrid rav4, I think that would tops the 1.5 BS. But like you, I am curious to see these head to head. Rav4 prime same price as BS FE.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
My opinion is that I do like the Rav4 for the 3 years of leasing. I mainly used it for work and my mountain bike getaways 2+3 times year to Sedona or Santa Cruz. For work I haul a lot of PC, servers , UPS printers etc. I do find the utility of the Rav4 excellent because of the room it provides for hauling. Esp for my last 2 family Yosemite trips. I had a roof cargo box, us 4 and more cargo in the back behind the kids and it went well.. I know for a fact this bronco sport is smaller in cargo space. At first I thought Im going to get the Rav4 prime, but I saw the broncos and was like, man I want something that looks cool to me. I'm not knocking on the Rav4 prime , it looks sleek and all that but, I feel this bronco fits in to my lifestyle. I do think the Rav4 will be more spacious and maybe more fuel efficient (a few mpg) than the 1.5 sport

OffTheGrid

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You will find a temperature gauge on every vehicle. Yes every vehicle can overheat. Operate your trailhawk in extreme high-load conditions and tell me how your “real” 4x4 has endless cooling. Or lock the rear diff and drive in a circle for a bit and prove how your trailhawk is indestructible. Or should I get your manual out and find the same advice?

Any vehicle yes including your “real” locking diff will over heat if the vehicle is in “extreme high-load conditions”

Here is the cherokee version. They recommend to idle the vehicle with the air off and heater on until the vehicle cools or turn the engine off immediately and call for service.

From the Cherokee Owners Manual:
Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) B5CF504C-FD29-4470-A6FE-0FD7D4D7D9EA
Its actually funny you defending the Bronco Sport and the overheating topic.
When all people are doing is pointing out its part of how the vehicle functions under load.
And dont like it!
Just say it for those who are actually going to take this Bronco Sport out its a topic to be aware of.

Last edited:

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I highly doubt after all their extreme testing including a lot in the desert and Moab that it'll be an issue.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If I want to rip around in the dirt I'm not going to do it in my really nice Bronco Sport, Nooooo
I'm gonna buy a dune buggy or build up an old V-8 4X4 pick up truck.
Or If Imma rich guy I'd get the Big bronco and mod as needed. just sayin..

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Not much. 18s of a salesman or customer driving it (BL model) over a patch of hard snow but hey, there's very few Bronco Sport videos so far 'off-road'.

Sponsored