Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Well, David Tracy, the Japolink guy, basically hates it with an undying passion.. if you read his review, he really has nothing positive to say. (Of course, he has to veil his comments, or Ford would never invite him to ride again.)

Of course, David is the "I love rust buckets" kinda guy, but that also shows that the folks who are die-hard serious off road are going to hate the Sport.

So if you take this review, and all the "we'll praise anything we get to drive" reviews, I'm not sure we know much yet other than the overheating issue.

Meh.
Sponsored

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Here is one of the better reviews I have read, from Jalopnik. Badlands and Outer Banks mentioned. Lots of great pictures not seen before, and better look at Navy Pier interior which I now feel better about ordering.

The 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Has Everything It Needs To Compete With Jeep On- And Off-Road (jalopnik.com)
I dunno.. as I just commented, if you read his reviews regularly, he pretty much hates the Bronco Sport. He's an excitable guy, and he didn't get excited about the Sport at all. (Of course, he normally gets excited about buckets of rust).

The continued comparisons to the Compass have me worried. I might wind up with a Passport after all.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
would you rather it compared to the wrangler? Curious what is passport compared to?
That's fair.. but the Compass says to me "small and underwhelming" as well as something about who I typically see driving Compasses.

Passport is probably most comparable to the Atlas Sport, which would be a great vehicle if they ever offered it with the larger engine.

What I really want? a SUV smaller that the big boys, but not as small as the CRVs, more of a truck feel than the Subarus (and no CVTs).. something like my old Chevy Trailblazer. But the only thing that truly fits that niche is $80k Landrovers.. so everything is either lacking in 4WD, too big, underpowered, or.. just ugh. I've sat it at least 8 different vehicles in this overall space, and nothing has hit the spot yet.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The Bronco sits in an interesting spot pricing wise. I haven't looked at the lower trims for 4x4 capability much, only the Badlands. But I think they should be able to compete with the lower end Jeep offerings when it comes to offroad.

A loaded Badlands costs significantly more than a Compass, which is ok because it has much better performance. However, it's not as capable as a Cherokee Trailhawk, which MSRP wise, costs a few grand more. On paper that seems fair but you can usually get a loaded Trailhawk close to the Badlands in price, or in my case less. Once that price point is equal, the Badlands fares less well. It's significantly less capable than a Cherokee Trailhawk off road and its slightly lower quality on the inside.

Now a loaded Badlands costs less than a loaded RAV4 TRD and should be much better offroad.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
My friend, a car enthusiast, pointed me to another review, by hagerty: https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2021-ford-bronco-sport-badlands/

They were driving a Cactus Gray Badlands, which is nice to see.

Their opening paragraph,

When Ford finally announced the revival of the Bronco in 2017, the fanfare was palpable—at long last, a Real Deal Holyfield challenger to the Jeep Wrangler. The announcement of a Bronco Sport alongside it, then, felt like Mom was making you give your little brother a controller while you played Halo. An Escape-based off-roader trading on the name of one of the all-time greats? Don’t everybody jump at once.​
After a few hours behind the wheel of a Bronco Sport in and around the Holly Oaks ORV park in Holly, Michigan, we can confirm that skepticism regarding the Sport’s worthiness is mostly misplaced—provided you’re looking at the upper-echelon Badlands trim. Stick with us here...​
Nothing new, but well written.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
However, it's not as capable as a Cherokee Trailhawk, which MSRP wise, costs a few grand more. On paper that seems fair but you can usually get a loaded Trailhawk close to the Badlands in price, or in my case less.
The thing with the Cherokees is their interior. Tried one, and the glare from the interior back at the driver when the sun is on it is terrible. They also feel cramped.

But the point about pricing is fair..

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The thing with the Cherokees is their interior. Tried one, and the glare from the interior back at the driver when the sun is on it is terrible. They also feel cramped.

But the point about pricing is fair..

I actually really like the interior of the Cherokee and didn't like the interior of the Badlands as much. If I was comfortable in the Badlands as I was the in the Cherokee I would have kept my pre-order on the Badlands. That was really the true break point for me.

DropTheWorld

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
The demuro review settled it for me. I won't be accepting my FE sport. The fact that the FE isn't fully loaded, mixed with the small size, under average mpg, and ford still using their cheap plastic interior is all enough for me to wait on my big brother OuterBanks reservation. I'll hope they put all their blood, sweat, tears, and passion into the real Bronco.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
That’s your opinion that the cherokee trail hawk is more capable than the badlands. Off-road vehicles come in all shapes and sizes. BS 1.5 competes with renegade and compass and appears to be far more capable. Badlands competes with cherokee trailhawk and it appears to be more capable. V6 and ground clearance are factors but capability is determined from all factors not just two of them.

can you prove that the cherokee trailhawk is more capable than the bs badlands?
It has a proper locking rear diff and a dual transfer case. The Badlands doesn't have a low range and the dual clutch isn't as reliable as a locking rear diff. You can lock the Trailhawk into low and and true 4x4 all day.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The demuro review settled it for me. I won't be accepting my FE sport. The fact that the FE isn't fully loaded, mixed with the small size, under average mpg, and ford still using their cheap plastic interior is all enough for me to wait on my big brother OuterBanks reservation. I'll hope they put all their blood, sweat, tears, and passion into the real Bronco.

I actually liked the interior materials a lot. Now, I'm coming from a Subaru Crosstrek so maybe I just don't know what you're supposed to get for 40k.

I also really loved the instrument panel, it beats the tar out of the one in my Trailhawk. It's super clean and easy to read.

DropTheWorld

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I actually liked the interior materials a lot. Now, I'm coming from a Subaru Crosstrek so maybe I just don't know what you're supposed to get for 40k.

I also really loved the instrument panel, it beats the tar out of the one in my Trailhawk. It's super clean and easy to read.
I've had a ford before and those cheap plastic bags degrade and get worn easily. Likely to fade with sun exposure as well. This isn't the good cheap plastic that means easy to clean, it means disappointment. Demuro all but said it

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
It is true 4x4. You say improper locking rear diff that’s your opinion. The fact is they use a different method to lock the rear diff not an improper one. The trailhawk is heavier and requires more power and low range. Ford is more reliable than Jeep.

bandlands > cherokee trailhawk
Bronco 2/4 > wrangler
Raptor is greater than gladiator

From The Bronco Owners manual:

"A message is displayed in the information display if the system overheats and switches to front-wheel drive. This condition could occur if you operate your vehicle in extreme high-load conditions or with excessive wheel slip, for example deep sand. To resume four-wheel drive function as soon as possible, stop your vehicle in a safe location and switch the ignition off for a minimum of 10 minutes. After the system cools, normal four-wheel drive functionality resumes. "

You're not going to find a warning like that on any vehicle with a real locking rear diff.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I briefly test drove a big bend at my dealership without the big bend package. I thought for a smaller engine it has good acceleration, the ride feels solid over bumps, not uncomfortable. It does sit high and looking over the hood has a good view but you could notice the bulbous hood. I sat behind myself and felt a little cramped (I'm 6 feet). I drive a 2018 Rav4 and I thought it did feel roomy in the front but in the rear feels more compact. I had a good impression from the big bend so hopefully the badlands I'd be stoked

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160203

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160554

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160310

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160644

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160650

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160134

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Reviews & Videos (Compilation) 20201207_160139

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
So far, I'm pleased with the reviews. I have yet to confirm headlamp efficiently at highway speeds. Again, my only concern is the first build year. There has never been a first year vehicle that did not need revisions in the following year. I'm against a hard deadline to build a storm chase vehicle by May 1st. of next year, so my options are limited. I don't believe my Sport will be ready until late January, so I have a little time to consider more reports.

My other concern, which no one has addressed, is safety. As far as I know, the BS has not been crash tested yet. With a completely new body design, this is an unknown factor and has me hesitant to jump in 100%.

The three vehicles I'm considering are the Exporter Timberline (to be released soon) and the Cherokee Trailhawk. I've given up on hybrids for the next 2-3 years until there is a decent 4x4 with A+ handling and power. I also have a better chance of a sponsorship with GMC vs. Ford, given their current marketing strategies.

The only problem with the Trailhawk is that the "Cherokee" Trailhawk does not have leather seats and the headlamp upgrades. The Grand Cherokee version has those options, but it does not have the off-road suspension. Sometimes I wonder if auto makers really want to make people happy and make sales.
Sponsored

Last edited: