Possible new Bronco Sport Badlands owner w/some questions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Hello all
I'm hoping I can get some quick knowledge or pointers from the forum.

Background: I own a 2015 F150 w/3.5L EcoBoost which I bought new and so far has been a pretty great truck. I also own a 2006 Subaru Outback w/ 155K miles and is on "life support" (which the Bronco Sport would replace). Earlier this year (May) I started looking into the Bronco (as I owned one as a kid) but gave up after seeing how crazy the demand was for it. At that time the Bronco Sport also had outrageous pricing. I came across the Maverick and when it was formally announced I put in an order on June 11th (a few days after announcement). Since then, I've been waiting...but so far haven't been scheduled. Having two trucks isn't super ideal, but I would intend to keep both as I need the towing capabilities of the F150 (I would use one and my son the other).

As time as dragged on, I've started looking at alternatives. I was finally able to see and sit in a Bronco Sport at a recent auto show, and I like it but wasn't able to spend much time in it. A week ago I stumbled upon an in-transit Bronco Sport Badlands. I started researching the Badland's more, and have liked what I've read, but my knowledge on this vehicle in terms of options, what is good to include, etc. is nowhere near what I know about the Mavericks. But, the dealer convinced me to put down a fully refundable deposit on the in-transit Badlands so that I have rights of first refusal when it arrives.

The Bronco Sport Badlands in question has minimal additional options, only cargo mats for $130. If I had done a factory order, I would have likely done the premium package plus the Sunroof and the Tow Package (just to have it already there).

Are there some of you w/a BL w/o the Badlands package? What do you think of it w/o it?
What are the wheels/tires that come with the BL w/o the Badlands package? Are they adequate or will I be wanting to upgrade immediately? (Note: I normally buy a set of extra wheels to put Snow's on my vehicles and would likely want to do this for the BS.)

Anything else I should be aware of (that I would know if I were reading this forum for months).

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Assuming I buy it, I am not sure if I will cancel the Maverick Hybrid order. I might keep the order in given what seems to be a great demand for the Hybrid Mavericks.
Sponsored

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello all

Background: I own a 2015 F150 w/3.5L EcoBoost which I bought new and so far has been a pretty great truck. I also own a 2006 Subaru Outback w/ 155K miles and is on "life support" (which the Bronco Sport would replace). Earlier this year (May) I started looking into the Bronco (as I owned one as a kid) but gave up after seeing how crazy the demand was for it. At that time the Bronco Sport also had outrageous pricing. I came across the Maverick and when it was formally announced I put in an order on June 11th (a few days after announcement). Since then, I've been waiting...but so far haven't been scheduled. Having two trucks isn't super ideal, but I would intend to keep both as I need the towing capabilities of the F150 (I would use one and my son the other).

As time as dragged on, I've started looking at alternatives. I was finally able to see and sit in a Bronco Sport at a recent auto show, and I like it but wasn't able to spend much time in it. A week ago I stumbled upon an in-transit Bronco Sport Badlands. I started researching the Badland's more, and have liked what I've read, but my knowledge on this vehicle in terms of options, what is good to include, etc. is nowhere near what I know about the Mavericks. But, the dealer convinced me to put down a fully refundable deposit on the in-transit Badlands so that I have rights of first refusal when it arrives.

The Bronco Sport Badlands in question has minimal additional options, only cargo mats for $130. If I had done a factory order, I would have likely done the premium package plus the Sunroof and the Tow Package (just to have it already there).

Are there some of you w/a BL w/o the Badlands package? What do you think of it w/o it?
What are the wheels/tires that come with the BL w/o the Badlands package? Are they adequate or will I be wanting to upgrade immediately? (Note: I normally buy a set of extra wheels to put Snow's on my vehicles and would likely want to do this for the BS.)

Anything else I should be aware of (that I would know if I were reading this forum for months).

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Assuming I buy it, I am not sure if I will cancel the Maverick Hybrid order. I might keep the order in given what seems to be a great demand for the Hybrid Mavericks.
I’ve got BL sans BL package and to be honest… I don’t miss any of the lux stuff or the extra gadgets. I had an outer banks for a month and a half before the BL, so I had a bit of bling in it for a while.

it drives wonderful on and off road. The tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Not great, but not horrible. They are slightly shorter than the BL with the Falcons, but not really enough to change a decision on hitting a trail from a clearance standpoint. They are less grippy tho.

I am planning to get the biggest real ATRs in it I can next spring. The Ford Performance shop here will do all the needful things and keep the warranty intact (such as speedo change and lift etc).

Personally? I am happy with it. Still gets all the head turns as well. I am in AZ and the off-roaders seem to know it isn’t the “papa bronco” but they are still impressed. Get lots of compliments.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I've got a loaded out BL+BL. If I was going to order a new BS again (and I wouldn't if I had to go through another 8 month wait) I'd probably do the same order except I'd get the "steelie" wheels and maybe change the color from Area 51 to Cyber orange.

There's nothing in the option package I don't like, with the exception of the sunroof. I'm just not fan of them. The wife however, is a big fan.

If i had been able to go the dealer and just buy a base Badlands I'd be happy with that too. In fact, that was what I test drove and sold me on the BL.

Things to know:
  • There is no cargo cover available to cover the back from prying eyes.
  • The Cargo Management System is great and cheap but it can't really be added afterwards. This can act as a cargo cover, cargo divider and picnic table.
  • You can put 245 size tires on the BS, I'd not option the 235's and instead buy 245's later if I could do it over.
  • IMHO the 360+ is great but costly. If you road trip a lot I recommend this.
  • Tow capacity is 2200lbs on the BL. It's not much but there also isn't a lot of payload capacity either. MY BL is mid 800lb range.
  • it does Apple car play and Android Auto but only wired.
  • You can lower or raise all door windows with the remote.

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Disclaimer: I do not have my Badlands yet, BUT I wanted to add a +1 for the copilot 360+. I haven't been able to use Ford's self driving stuff just yet, but if it's anything like Subaru's or any other modern car manufacturers driver assist suite, it is absolutely worth the price.

In my opinion they're one of the strongest reasons to buy new instead of used. Makes driving long distances MUCH easier. I used to have a 2003 Nissan Xterra (Totaled her off-roading in Utah, rest her soul) that was a pain in the ass to drive long distance. Not only was it bad on gas, but you had to constantly adjust the steering wheel to keep it in lane. Add in less than optimal seats and by the time I got to my destination I was exhausted and in pain from the era's apparent disregard of lumbar importance.

Contrast that with the outback I drove in with my buddy to colorado one time. He set the cruise control and the car essentially drove us all the way there. It was AMAZING. Neither of us were fatigued in any way and we had plenty of energy to get camp setup and hit the trails for some mountain biking.

I have several 1,000+ mile road trips planned in the next couple years and I would attempt none of them if not for the copilot.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
I've got a loaded out BL+BL. If I was going to order a new BS again (and I wouldn't if I had to go through another 8 month wait) I'd probably do the same order except I'd get the "steelie" wheels and maybe change the color from Area 51 to Cyber orange.

There's nothing in the option package I don't like, with the exception of the sunroof. I'm just not fan of them. The wife however, is a big fan.

If i had been able to go the dealer and just buy a base Badlands I'd be happy with that too. In fact, that was what I test drove and sold me on the BL.

Things to know:
  • There is no cargo cover available to cover the back from prying eyes.
  • The Cargo Management System is great and cheap but it can't really be added afterwards. This can act as a cargo cover, cargo divider and picnic table.
  • You can put 245 size tires on the BS, I'd not option the 235's and instead buy 245's later if I could do it over.
  • IMHO the 360+ is great but costly. If you road trip a lot I recommend this.
  • Tow capacity is 2200lbs on the BL. It's not much but there also isn't a lot of payload capacity either. MY BL is mid 800lb range.
  • it does Apple car play and Android Auto but only wired.
  • You can lower or raise all door windows with the remote.
I'd agree with most of what you say, if I had it to do over...wait I did since I have a '22 BL on order, I'd get the steelie wheels and Cyber Orange. My '21 has the BL package sounds pretty much like your BL, pretty loaded but I think the 360+ is a must, that intelligent adaptive cruise control is really nice and I'm old school and really like the navigation system. Like Folkman I had a OBX for a month and a half and didn't have 360+, used Google maps for navigation through carplay but when we were in the mountains and lost cell service we were SOL. Get the paper maps out...like I had one...have one now! The cargo management system is best $110 option the BS has, but as JerryC said not really $$ possible to retrofit. My '21 has the moonroof was part of the BL package and I don't mind it but don't really use it that much and since the Premium Package on the '22 doesn't include it I decided not to opt for the now a la carte moonroof option. I've got the Falken 235/65 R17's on the '21 and really like them, my offroading really is really pretty mild stuff and they are a great compromise, good off road but still pretty decent on pavement, not noisy and deliver a decent drive. I think the '22 has the leather steering wheel for the base BL now but the plastic steering wheel is pretty awful, not that the leather is great but certainly better.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I used the same logic as many of you did in ordering my BL. I’m fortunate to not be particularly budget constrained & yet hope to keep this vehicle a decade or much longer. My usual timeframe, current vehicle being an exception when it gets traded.

1. 360+: Absolute necessity. On any new vehicle. I cannot believe how incredible adaptive cruise is. I find myself using it in city freeway traffic where normal cruise is unusable. No, none of the driving aids should be necessary, but if one of them saves a moment of inattention it’s worth it.
2. Tow: the limit is low enough with these vehicles, that I’m not sure what you’d really tow with it, & I’m not really a big toy/rv guy anyways. But. It’s so cheap to add at the time, and opens up options for racks & hitch mount accessories as well.
3. Steelies: they look retro vintage cool to me and the Falken tires they come with are supposed to be 3PMSF rated, a huge bonus for me as I don’t run separate winter tires.
4. Cargo Management: I believe as somebody posted above, very cheap to add into an order, but not practical to add after the fact.

Premium Package: I am so happy they unbundled the moonroof (not a fan at all for a few reasons) from the ’lux’ BL/PP package, that was the only thing I skipped. The rest of the things in the PP were absolute necessities for me. I’ve attached the order guide (assuming you’re in the US, though I got the Canada ones on here as well) that lists out exactly what it comes with, a whole list of things I wasn’t willing to give up. None of it necessary, but a lot of small things I think will make it nicer to enjoy for more years.

Honestly I wish Ford packaged the US versions like the Canadian ones. There’s items that exist only on the BL with PP or not even then, only on the OB, which are standard on even the Base model up north. Wiper de-icer, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirror, I think even remote start perhaps. All pretty generous for a ’Base’ model car.

Ultimately for OP, it probably depends on timing (BL isn’t really a lot car here, they do kinda have to be special ordered) & use case. Is the BS to be used more by OP or the son? Are vehicles kept for many years (a 2006 outback if that was bought new & still kept is something)? I might just be the guy that doesn’t want to do without though when I’m expecting to keep the vehicle much longer than the payments.

Attachments

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
One other consideration depending on use case too might be another vehicle in the same showroom on the same platform as the Maverick & BS. Dealer had a titanium escape in the showroom which cost significantly less, had more ‘features’ and gets better mileage. But of course I know which one I’d rather have, and as a truck guy (still miss my 2007 F150) I’m expecting the BS to be much more of the drive I’m looking for.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I bought my Badlands without Badlands package off the lot. I tried the OB with all the options, for me it just didn't compare to what the Badlands offers with it's standard upgraded mechanical options. If I feel like I need a moonroof and leather, I'll drive my Mercedes. I think the factory tow package is worth getting/having.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other consideration depending on use case too might be another vehicle in the same showroom on the same platform as the Maverick & BS. Dealer had a titanium escape in the showroom which cost significantly less, had more ‘features’ and gets better mileage. But of course I know which one I’d rather have, and as a truck guy (still miss my 2007 F150) I’m expecting the BS to be much more of the drive I’m looking for.
My wife was looking at a Escape, we test drove a Titanium Hybrid and she absolutely didn't like it. They had a XL Maverick demo which we took out for a test drive, rock bottom base truck, I can't remember the last time I drove a car that didn't have power side mirrors. She liked driving that more than a Titanium Escape with all the bells and whistles. She likes my BS the best but might get a hybrid Maverick because she really wants a hybrid and liked driving the Maverick. Lucky that I put a order for a Maverick Hybrid First Edition way back before I bought the BS. Didn't cancel when I bought the BS so she just might slip into that whenever it arrives which looks like sometime mid next year.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought my Badlands without Badlands package off the lot. I tried the OB with all the options, for me it just didn't compare to what the Badlands offers with it's standard upgraded mechanical options. If I feel like I need a moonroof and leather, I'll drive my Mercedes. I think the factory tow package is worth getting/having.
Not all of us have a Mercedes to drive so we need to buy something that combines a little bit of both :)

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
We also have an f150 (2018) and We replaced a mid line forester for a base model bronco sport - I couldnt be happier with that move... the bs feels like. Alittle truck.... as for the bl package, i guess it comesdown to what "extras" you wish you had...but. i m perfectly content with even just a base.. now, to be fair we do have. A full size 2 door eruption green bronco on "order" (so we will see how that goes) but until that day comes we are enjoying/loving the bs

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Hello all

Thanks in advance!

Agree with Folkman comments. BL on 2000 mile trip 3 day trip, very quiet, comfortable, handled very well in heavy semi truck traffic. Since you use snow tires anyway no issue with stock tires - rated well in rain, but special snow tires will always outperform.

Unless you plan to own both maverick and BL to me decision is style - pickup versus SUV. You might want to look up youtube video on maverick testing in loose soil. BL drive train looks to perform much better with wheel control and my guess is that carries over to snow. From what I can tell Maverick does not offer the Badlands dual clutch rear for wheel control. Of course a hybrid will get better gas mileage so trade off is that versus better performance in more challenging road conditions - just depends on your needs.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I used the same logic as many of you did in ordering my BL. I’m fortunate to not be particularly budget constrained & yet hope to keep this vehicle a decade or much longer. My usual timeframe, current vehicle being an exception when it gets traded.

1. 360+: Absolute necessity. On any new vehicle. I cannot believe how incredible adaptive cruise is. I find myself using it in city freeway traffic where normal cruise is unusable. No, none of the driving aids should be necessary, but if one of them saves a moment of inattention it’s worth it.
2. Tow: the limit is low enough with these vehicles, that I’m not sure what you’d really tow with it, & I’m not really a big toy/rv guy anyways. But. It’s so cheap to add at the time, and opens up options for racks & hitch mount accessories as well.
3. Steelies: they look retro vintage cool to me and the Falken tires they come with are supposed to be 3PMSF rated, a huge bonus for me as I don’t run separate winter tires.
4. Cargo Management: I believe as somebody posted above, very cheap to add into an order, but not practical to add after the fact.

Premium Package: I am so happy they unbundled the moonroof (not a fan at all for a few reasons) from the ’lux’ BL/PP package, that was the only thing I skipped. The rest of the things in the PP were absolute necessities for me. I’ve attached the order guide (assuming you’re in the US, though I got the Canada ones on here as well) that lists out exactly what it comes with, a whole list of things I wasn’t willing to give up. None of it necessary, but a lot of small things I think will make it nicer to enjoy for more years.

Honestly I wish Ford packaged the US versions like the Canadian ones. There’s items that exist only on the BL with PP or not even then, only on the OB, which are standard on even the Base model up north. Wiper de-icer, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirror, I think even remote start perhaps. All pretty generous for a ’Base’ model car.

Ultimately for OP, it probably depends on timing (BL isn’t really a lot car here, they do kinda have to be special ordered) & use case. Is the BS to be used more by OP or the son? Are vehicles kept for many years (a 2006 outback if that was bought new & still kept is something)? I might just be the guy that doesn’t want to do without though when I’m expecting to keep the vehicle much longer than the payments.
Thanks for the post. Yes, if I go with the incoming one I can have it real soon, if I order I would likely be able to get it at a better price and with exactly what I want...but would have to wait until ????

I am definitely a buy it new and keep it until it drops kind of guy. I have a 94 Camaro (6-speed) which I bought new and still have. I had a 96 Escort wagon (manual) that I drove until 2006...loved that little thing but had to eventually let it go due to frame rust. The 2006 Subaru Outback I bought new. It now has 155K+ miles and the engine on it is pretty decent, but it is on its original clutch (again manual tranny) but the gas tank has issues. To repair/replace the gas tank requires dropping the drive shaft...but will eventually also have to do the clutch (even though it seems fine at the moment). I am now at the point where I don't want to put a bunch of money in it. I bought my 2015 F-150 new in Jan 2016...man was that a much better time to buy a truck/vehicle, I was able to get 23% off sticker on it.

It isn't clear who (me, son) would drive what....that is what makes it difficult. He absolutely loves the truck, which is partially because a) It's a truck and b) I did some serious upgrades to the sound system (sub w/dedicated amp and run from battery, focal speakers front and rear, inline amp, sound deadening in the doors.) OTOH I'm trying to keep the mileage reasonable on it as I need it's towing capabilities - I have a L Series Kubota tractor and 20' trailer which I occasionally pull with the truck and I use the truck for firewood (I have another wooded property I used as a wood lot).

I too am fortunate enough not to be budget constrained. However, I am definitely cheap when it comes to vehicles. In general, I treat them as a depreciating asset and to provide utility, not as something to just dump a bunch of money in. So, while I could go out and spend $50K, $60K, whatever, the thought of that is very unappealing.

Houseof7th

Badlands
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hello all

Thanks in advance!

Check out my video on my badlands on YouTube. Hopefully my videos could hope you with your decision.

Sponsored