Yakima Bars on Badlands Mannequin = lotsa wind noise.

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Our Badlands came with the Yakima bars, awning and kayak mount. It was super noisy on test drive, and not much better with just the bars. I took them off for now. I do want to get them going.

My first thought is that they are too long. I could cut 4-5" off each end. I know that they make a fairing, and could give that a try.

Because they came on the truck, I have no info as to model, installation tips, etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

marcusnc

Outer Banks
First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you have the sharp side of the crossbar facing to the front of the car it was installed wrong. The rounded side is to face to the front. It seems wrong but it is.

OP
OP
PersimmonHills

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If you have the sharp side of the crossbar facing to the front of the car it was installed wrong. The rounded side is to face to the front. It seems wrong but it is.
Thanks! That, at least, was correct.

First Name
Jamee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands
Our Badlands came with the Yakima bars, awning and kayak mount. It was super noisy on test drive, and not much better with just the bars. I took them off for now. I do want to get them going.

My first thought is that they are too long. I could cut 4-5" off each end. I know that they make a fairing, and could give that a try.

Because they came on the truck, I have no info as to model, installation tips, etc.

try a fairing/wind deflector. I just put a cargo basket up that I bought used and didnā€™t have the fairing and is pretty loud. Iā€™m in the process of making one from a larger truck fairing. Hopefully itā€™ll cut down the noise.
Just needs paint now

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Bars on Badlands Mannequin = lotsa wind noise. 89D64365-B1DF-458A-9E48-54F9B8687A9B

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I got the 50inch bars and mine is working out so far noise wise. But assassinated my MPG by 5-7mpg on high way.
Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Bars on Badlands Mannequin = lotsa wind noise. 20210510_160123

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Are the upper and lower rubber strips filling the slots, and how far forward is your front bar? Mine was pretty quiet like this, and got even quieter when I took the basket off.
Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Bars on Badlands Mannequin = lotsa wind noise. 739D1242-D61A-4110-AB09-B363F00BA0D6

TexasJDub

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

I too have a Bronco Sport Badlands with included Yakima crossbars, Yakima JayLow Kayak rack, and Yakima awning (all from the dealer already installed - showroom model). I just got it over the weekend but have noticed the wind noise once I get up to highway speeds for sure. Haven't had a chance to remove either rack accessory yet but it sounds like the crossbars themselves may be making the noise. I'll update if I notice anything else.

whoarethey

Big Bend
First Name
Traci
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Bought a big bend from dealership and they had the Yakima bars installed. They couldn't take them off because service/parts were closed so I got that accessory package for free. Once the plates come in have to drive the three hours back to pick up everything else AND get the key for the bars. The wind noise is driving me crazy ?

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
Thinking of getting the Thule bars because of this. Does anyone know if the thule's are less noisy?

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

I have the Yakima jetstreams....can't hear them until I add my basket or tent

MTBabyBronco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Mine was missing the gasket that goes in the bottom of the bars. Just put a gasket in this evening and put the basket and bars back on. I Will let you know if that fixes the wind noise.
After adding the missing bottom gaskets to our crossbars we found the difference was incredible. We can barely hear any noise now from the bars or the Yakima OffGrid cargo basket.

TexasJDub

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm truly going to have to find me some gaskets to put into mine...the wind noise is killing my driving experience!

MTBabyBronco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I got the 50inch bars and mine is working out so far noise wise. But assassinated my MPG by 5-7mpg on high way.
Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Bars on Badlands Mannequin = lotsa wind noise. 20210510_160123
Which Yakima basket is that? And size?
Sponsored