Would you choose Bronco 4 doors or Bronco sport?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester Sport
I think there’s a pretty broad set of vehicles to cross shop — Forester Sport, (previously mentioned) Passport, several Jeep models (Renegade, Compass, Cherokee), 4 Runner, RAV 4 Adventure, maybe even a Discovery Sport. It’s hard to tell how the Bronco Sport fits In until more in the wild comparisons can be seen. My greatest fear is that it looks too much like a Renegade, Compass, or RAV4 in terms of overall size. It needs to look and feel bigger IMO. A taller Forester (new models are quite large) or boxier/taller Cherokee would feel right to me but the Sport is definitely shorter In length than both. In other words, this needs to be squarely in compact vs subcompact category to me. Where Sport stands out obviously is the capability, powerful engine option, safety / driver assist features, and interior options that are near luxury yet rugged. Do wish power folding mirrors and power lift gate (guessing independently opening glass makes this risky?) were options.
Sponsored

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Well at least the Bronco Sport is either equal or slightly bigger in width and height, compared to Renegade/Compass/RAV4 - the shorter length and wheelbase probably contributes to the good approach / breakover / departure angles, I assume.

The reason I like Sport dimensions is because it's very similar to the dimensions of my current 2010 Ford Escape, and I think for my personal (in town/outdoors) needs, it's just right size. Like I often say it's just a better (except tow capacity), more of- roady and techier 2nd gen Escape, and the boxy shape is there, too.

Some comparisons of all 3 exterior dimensions: (BS/Renegade/Compass/RAV4)

Ford Bronco Sport Would you choose Bronco 4 doors or Bronco sport? 1597069529409

Ford Bronco Sport Would you choose Bronco 4 doors or Bronco sport? 1597069616500

Ford Bronco Sport Would you choose Bronco 4 doors or Bronco sport? 1597069702519

Last edited:

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I think there’s a pretty broad set of vehicles to cross shop — Forester Sport, (previously mentioned) Passport, several Jeep models (Renegade, Compass, Cherokee), 4 Runner, RAV 4 Adventure, maybe even a Discovery Sport. It’s hard to tell how the Bronco Sport fits In until more in the wild comparisons can be seen. My greatest fear is that it looks too much like a Renegade, Compass, or RAV4 in terms of overall size. It needs to look and feel bigger IMO. A taller Forester (new models are quite large) or boxier/taller Cherokee would feel right to me but the Sport is definitely shorter In length than both. In other words, this needs to be squarely in compact vs subcompact category to me. Where Sport stands out obviously is the capability, powerful engine option, safety / driver assist features, and interior options that are near luxury yet rugged. Do wish power folding mirrors and power lift gate (guessing independently opening glass makes this risky?) were options.
Few things...

The direct comparison is supposed to be the Compass, but it's close the the Cherokee as well. 4 Runner is a lot larger, and would be more for those that need to tow, and it's also more money. Discovery Sport is a LOT more money.

The powerlift gate not being on the Sport is a good thing in my opinion. Having that removes the option for addons like a spare on the rear.

The Sport is NOT a subcompact.. it's straddling the line between compact and full size, and may be a nice sweet spot for those of us who find a compact too cramped, but want something just a bit more maneuverable in the city.

Price is the key here. If the Sport was $45k, I'd be looking at the 4Runner or Jeep instead, or the Passport.

Something that's well equipped for $38k makes for an interesting market niche.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few things...
The powerlift gate not being on the Sport is a good thing in my opinion. Having that removes the option for addons like a spare on the rear.

The Sport is NOT a subcompact.. it's straddling the line between compact and full size, and may be a nice sweet spot for those of us who find a compact too cramped, but want something just a bit more maneuverable in the city.

Something that's well equipped for $38k makes for an interesting market niche.
VERY well said. Exactly my thoughts re: size / price range.

And although I like SOME tech (driving modes / safety etc), i am NOT a big fan of things like power folding mirrors and power lift gates. Just more things to break down the line AND they normally go right after warranty ends. I don't even like auto dimming mirrors - i like to have a "flippable" manual mirror for dimming. Some auto dimming mirrors (like my wife's Mazda) has an on/off switch.... I REALLY hope Bronco Sport does....

The appeal of the B-sport to me is that it is MUCH better equipped for mild/real off road than most of the cars in its class and yet it looks normal enough to be a city driver without giving off an overly "off road" look, and has enough creature comforts. And the size is just right to be taken seriously BUT also easy to park, and ride around in town.
The PTU and the transmission getting coolers in BL trim is a BIG deal for me as I live in constant fear of mt 2010 Escape PTU crapping out someday soon - it has no dedicated cooling and is surrounded by hot areas.

Last edited:

Grove_LA

Badlands
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
A bit off topic but I am looking forward to seeing how the potential leveling kits/ small lifts that are sure to come out for the sport will look. Give it a bit more clearance and an even more aggressive stance and a little beefier tires. Figure Ford won’t be offering any lift options like the big brother.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
A bit off topic but I am looking forward to seeing how the potential leveling kits/ small lifts that are sure to come out for the sport will look. Give it a bit more clearance and an even more aggressive stance and a little beefier tires. Figure Ford won’t be offering any lift options like the big brother.
Likely not much, as it's unibody, and I'm not sure how much more room the wheelwells have.. Need to see the inside and if larger tires would work with the turning radius. They look pretty full now with the current tires.

One other tangent note in regards to the cross-shopping.. the front facia is really nicely designed, but I wouldn't mind seeing an off-roadish replacement for it that's built tougher.. not sure that will be an option either.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other tangent note in regards to the cross-shopping.. the front facia is really nicely designed, but I wouldn't mind seeing an off-roadish replacement for it that's built tougher.. not sure that will be an option either.
Agreed. I will be happy with stock BUT would be nice to see if there will be alternatives, especially a fascia/bumper than can house a bit larger round fog lamp.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester Sport
For the record, stating fears vs trying to be argumentative (I’ve got a FE on “order”... in quotes because reservation was converted to 1K order but color and anything else that might become a choice won’t need to be specified until closer to production date ... shrug ). I’m not sure how subcompact vs compact designations are made by the powers that be, but I’m worried that the BS just won’t have the same presence and roominess in person that it has in pictures. It’s dimensionally unique — very tall, fairly wide, but curiously short in length. It also has a completely unique engine choice for the class (e.g, powerful). It would seem to have the best off road system relative to anything other than Trailhawks. But it’s shorter in length than several SUVs designated as subcompact. As for foldable mirrors — maybe just user-specific preference here. I’ve got a relatively narrow garage bay that gets partly blocked in the approach by snow falling from metal roof (I live in VT), which creates some challenging entries....power folding mirrors make this easier... that’s all.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep - Although owning a 2nd gen "boxy" Escape with roof rails (side and cross bars) gives me a pretty good idea of the size and presence /stance of the BS, nothing would compare to actually standing next to one in real life... waiting patiently to see them at a dealership.

Fully understand, re: narrow garage etc, that would be useful to have them in your case. And I hope they FULLY fold. On my 2010 Escape they fold only halfway, and not fully. (manual fold).

txbronc

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Cx-9
If I had money to throw around I would pick up a 4dr in Cactus Gray. Base model with Sasquatch package.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
...but I’m worried that the BS just won’t have the same presence and roominess in person that it has in pictures..... As for foldable mirrors — maybe just user-specific preference here.
Based on the measurements, I think it's better than most in the class. I've been shopping for a while, and been trying to find something that doesn't feel cramped. Wrote off quite a few already where the seat room simply felt cramped.

It does look good in the pics.. but we simply need to have one on a dealer lot we can sit in.. :crackup:

Regarding the length.. I think that is mainly due to the boxiness.. since they went that direction, they could save quite a few inches compared to others that have a much stretchier front end and cargo area.

Presence will be interesting.. I do think it will be a bit understated, because it doesn't have the wild shapes of something like a Rav4. Instead, it reminds me the most of the old Cherokee wagons... very boxy, but with their own kind of presence.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Yep - Although owning a 2nd gen "boxy" Escape with roof rails (side and cross bars) gives me a pretty good idea of the size and presence /stance of the BS, nothing would compare to actually standing next to one in real life... waiting patiently to see them at a dealership.
Yes Yes Yes... Need to sit in one at a dealer.

Since shopping I've sat in the:

Acadia AT4 (roomy, but interior/controls felt old)

Rav4 (interior very cramped, HATED the height and position of the touchscreen)

Compass (interior cramped, layout felt awkward)

Cherokee/GrandC (interior still cramped, and hated the sloping dash that I had to reach forward for, plus sun glare on dash due to the slope - let's put a lot of chrome on a sloping dash to make even more glare!)

4Runner (interior fit passable, but old layout with switches scattered everywhere)

Passport (interior roomy enough, controls good but not great, but it's huge, and has the price tag and mileage to match, and only AWD.)

Atlas Sport (felt like a more refined Passport. roomy enough, nice controls, but only offers the 2.0 liter and only AWD. Same issue with mileage and price. Their website says a V6 is coming, but no sign of it...)

Discovery Sport (small but felt like a very comfortable cocoon. Everything electronic.. if I was richer and didn't have concerns about maintenance costs, it would already be in my driveway.. equipped like a Bronco Sport Bandlands+B would be $55k+)

So.. I'm hoping the Bronco Sport is that balance of size for the city plus some ruggedness most of the others don't offer. Actual 4WD is hard to come by at this size.

To be honest, I don't might if it's lacking in show-off presence as long as it's distinct from the rest of the bubble SUVs. It has the presence for those that would notice it.

If the Sport doesn't cut it.. I'm likely going to Passport when I have to buy..

Random note.. wondering about the wind noise and resistance of the crossbars... they add a bit to the presence, but at what cost?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)

Cherokee/GrandC (interior still cramped, and hated the sloping dash that I had to reach forward for, plus sun glare on dash due to the slope - let's put a lot of chrome on a sloping dash to make even more glare!)

4Runner (interior fit passable, but old layout with switches scattered everywhere)

Passport (interior roomy enough, controls good but not great, but it's huge, and has the price tag and mileage to match, and only AWD.)

Atlas Sport (felt like a more refined Passport. roomy enough, nice controls, but only offers the 2.0 liter and only AWD. Same issue with mileage and price. Their website says a V6 is coming, but no sign of it...)

Discovery Sport (small but felt like a very comfortable cocoon. Everything electronic.. if I was richer and didn't have concerns about maintenance costs, it would already be in my driveway.. equipped like a Bronco Sport Bandlands+B would be $55k+)

So.. I'm hoping the Bronco Sport is that balance of size for the city plus some ruggedness most of the others don't offer. Actual 4WD is hard to come by at this size.

To be honest, I don't might if it's lacking in show-off presence as long as it's distinct from the rest of the bubble SUVs. It has the presence for those that would notice it.

Random note.. wondering about the wind noise and resistance of the crossbars... they add a bit to the presence, but at what cost?
Nicely done synopsis of the vehicles! Thanks for that..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester Sport

I always wear cross bars to hold a ski rack and noise has never been an issue for me without the ski rack on (and not too bad with the ski rack). Things start to get more noisy for me when I put the roof box on.
Sponsored