Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
For me it was quite simple. I needed to replace my aging Escape. I have a 2D BL on order but due to allocations I might not see it for several years. Granger offered BS at 6% below invoice. Pulled the trigger and ordered a BS BL from Granger to fill the gap.
Sponsored

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
Living in Chicago the full size bronco is too big. The sport is a tight fight in my garage, a full-size 4d would need to touch the front wall and a second car wouldn’t fit next to it.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The reason for choosing the full size Bronco over the Sport is that it's potentially more desirable.
Larger following (real Bronco)
Real 4WD.
Choice between 2 or 4 doors
Removable hardtop or convertible.
Removable doors.
Greater aftermarket support compared to the Sport.
Lower level models do not cost much more than the Sport.
There are more reasons, interested people know what they are.

ESBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 CooperS 85 F150
The reason for choosing the full size Bronco over the Sport is that it's potentially more desirable.
Larger following (real Bronco)
Real 4WD.
Choice between 2 or 4 doors
Removable hardtop or convertible.
Removable doors.
Greater aftermarket support compared to the Sport.
Lower level models do not cost much more than the Sport.
There are more reasons, interested people know what they are.
Lower gas mileage
No rear cup holders for most 4 doors
Leaking roof panels
2.7 liter engine failure issues
Can’t find one anywhere for a reasonable price……
And I don’t care how hard you try, if creature comfort’s are on your list of wants, 50 grand barely buys you a Big Bronco with what the Sport offers at 40 grand. Not to mention the build restraints and waiting list.
Yup we know all about it. Not stopping me from getting mine as soon as the wife’s BS BL is paid off though ?

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I could have bought either one but was honest with myself. I traded in my F150 4x4 super quad cab because I didn't need the capability and large size...literally the only thing that justified me having one was the occassional friend that need my help to transport furniture from time to time. I probably represent 99.99% of full size truck owners and what they actually use it for. Buying the bigger Bronco would be the same thing I would not need something that would climb up a rock face. And let's face it...most of people buying the big Bronco are gonna be mall crawlers :)

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same with the Bronco Sports and Jeep Rubicons etc etc.
Some people just want things just because.
If it makes you happy, go for it.

Reactions: MJE

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
At least here in Puerto Rico a full size base Bronco starts at $63k, my BS BL was marked $48,999, $14,001, that is significant. Also our back roads, comprising most of those on the mountainous area, are narrow. For this reason, it a wiser decision, at least here. That the full size bronco is more capable, that is true, the need in here for an extreme 4x4 is not that great.

Reactions: MJE

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Anyone ever get the "why didn't you get the big Bronco' question? The Sports and big Bronco two completely diff vehicles. And most time ppl choose because that is what they like. I think big Broncos super cool I am a fan. But a bigger full frame vehicle with lower gas mileage was not what I wanted.

gregoryesparza

Badlands
First Name
gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota tacoma
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
I have a 2 dr Bronco base on order and a Bronco sport Badlands ordered. whichever comes in first I will purchase and when the other comes in I will try to buy it to sell at a higher price hopefully

E229Lt

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2019 Expedition
My plan was to get my wife the BS OBX, in black. Ordered 9/16/21.Then wait for the 2023 Bronco Raptor but to be honest, I really am not impressed with the interior of the full size Bronco, so I'm going with an Expedition Timberline in the 2023 next gen.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I've got 2dr Bronco BL on order.
The tough decision for me is whether the BS or the 21 4Runner gets traded in when the Bronco shows up.

The BS is loaded, gets much better mpg, more nimble.

The 4Runner bigger, solid, more comfortable and capable. Plus there is Toyota quality and resale value.

I get the same "I gotta keep this one" feeling whenever I drive either of them but for different reasons.

If my Bronco order takes five years ( :) ) then I'll keep all three.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I've got 2dr Bronco BL on order.
The tough decision for me is whether the BS or the 21 4Runner gets traded in when the Bronco shows up.

The BS is loaded, gets much better mpg, more nimble.

The 4Runner bigger, solid, more comfortable and capable. Plus there is Toyota quality and resale value.

I get the same "I gotta keep this one" feeling whenever I drive either of them but for different reasons.

If my Bronco order takes five years ( :) ) then I'll keep all three.
We decided to keep our older Toyota FJ Cruise due to durability even though it is a 2011 and trade in the 2017 BMW M240i which is my sports convertible that costs an arm and leg even for oil change.

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I know other folks have already said it, but just for the sake of repetition/voting: We only have space/etc for one car and it needs to do a lot of different things.

I need something I can take on cross-country road trips, get groceries in, put the dog in, get lumber/mulch/etc in, go camping in, parallel park in tight spaces in, go fishing in, get out on the beach in, fit in a parking garage, and generally do light-moderate offroading in. It has to do it all at least somewhat well, which means making compromises in some places. It doesn't have to drive to work every day because we live in walking/bus distance, but it still needs to be capable of being a daily driver. Oh, and bonus points for something that's fun to drive...

Not too many things fit that bill very well. The tight spaces rule out most pickups (I miss my 97 Ranger that actually was compact) and most full-size SUVs, not to mention gas milage. My previous Forester mostly fit the bill, but I wanted something a bit more capable.

Seriously, the sport does the mix of what I need incredibly well, and honestly a big bronco wouldn't. I came somewhat close to getting a Cherokee, but I just like the sport better.

Now if I had space+money for a pure weekend toy, it'd be a different story...

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Anyone ever get the "why didn't you get the big Bronco' question? The Sports and big Bronco two completely diff vehicles. And most time ppl choose because that is what they like. I think big Broncos super cool I am a fan. But a bigger full frame vehicle with lower gas mileage was not what I wanted.
I always answer that with a “I have an FJ Cruiser” that is basically my off road tank if wanted. It can be hosed down, ford water up to the hood and has less electronics that can die (no nav screens), with a 4 low, locking diff, etc.

The BS offers me a well rounded vehicle that balances everything. It replaces my daily driver with a bit more size and usability, dog carrier, shopper and enough offroad for when we travel the country to take the road less traveled. And with more long hour drive comfort.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I always answer that with a “I have an FJ Cruiser” that is basically my off road tank if wanted. It can be hosed down, ford water up to the hood and has less electronics that can die (no nav screens), with a 4 low, locking diff, etc.

The BS offers me a well rounded vehicle that balances everything. It replaces my daily driver with a bit more size and usability, dog carrier, shopper and enough offroad for when we travel the country to take the road less traveled. And with more long hour drive comfort.
This sums it up for me too...except I have my '70 Bronco instead of a FJ. But the '70 is not a highway cruiser or daily driver so the BS fits the bill well and gives us some additional capability over a standard SUV if needed.

We would love to have a two-door 6G but not sure it fits the bill practically as daily driver, especially since I already have a dedicated trail rig.
Sponsored