Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco?

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
1. I agree itā€™s a tough choice. personally Iā€™m not on the Big Boy Bronco ? list, and the wait is 2-3 years?
2. The Bronco black diamond trim has the rear locker, once itā€™s optioned out (ie. Sasquatch pkge) with stuff, then a $2k - $5k trip to four wheel drive parts. Itā€™s in the mid $40k. Add finance charges and the truck is well over $50k.
3. Iā€™m not sure if I would feel comfortable beating up a $50k vehicle while off-roading . Iā€™m okay pushing the BS and giving the Bronco Sport a run for its money.
4. Iā€™ve always wanted a Subaru either a Crosstrek, too small, Forester, looks boxy and dated or a Subie Outbreak, not a fan of CVT. My understanding is the Subarus donā€™t make it past 200,000 miles on the engine, head gasket issues? Plus TFL has tested the Susie Outbreak and they typically canā€™t get far off the beaten track? The one YouTuber, canā€™t remember his name, goes camping with his two dogs ?. He mentioned that he picks a camping site further up the mountain where the Subarus need to turn around.
5. In conclusion I wanted something that will last 10-20 years, 300k-400k before an engine rebuild. Gets out of its own way. wont get stuck getting out of an unplowed ā›„ Walmart parking lot or soft dirt , like my Prius or 2 wheel drive F150. Can run it out on the desert ? at 80-90mph, gets good gas mileage, able to go glamping. Take to the sierras to go hiking ?, pull a trailer, drive to Alaska, Colorado or Utah and get on the dirt with some good off road ability.
6. I suspect a lot of Jeep owners will get rid of their Wranglers once the Broncos hit the showroom at MSRP. Youā€™ll see used 4 wheel drive vehicles pop up. Then once the Tesla Cybertruck hits youā€™ll see used Broncos on the market.
7. right now saying Iā€™m thinking of getting a big bronco is about the same as going on vacation to see Nessie ? the lockness monster. Pretty much unavailable, Just ainā€™t in the cards.
8. I offered the dealer MSRP for the four door Bronco In the showroom. I pretty much got laughed out of the dealership. He said when youā€™re ready to buy, come back and weā€™ll negotiate! ā€œI told him Iā€™m ready to negotiate now.ā€ Great. ā€œDo you do x-plan pricing on the bronco- lol ? ā€œ
The cybertruck is soo hideous hahaha

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
For me I realized the Sport badlands would do everything I wanted to do in a similarly price bronco black diamond except I could get alllllllll the extra features that I wanted. I had to have the B&O system etc etc. Ok need is a strong word. It also just had the perk of not having to wait nearly as long hopefully. Needed a third car for when my son turns 16 in the summer. My only wish was they made it in a manual but you canā€™t have everything :)

TexasJDub

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I bought a BS Badlands at the time because I wanted a smaller sized SUV and thought the BS was pretty cool. The BS Badlands and up have the 2.0L turbo upgrade and is a very peppy little ride for sure! I've since test driven the full sized Bronco and while I would still like to have a full size to mess around with...the full sized Bronco is a "rough" ride and definitely more truck like. Very capable off road of course! However, I've come to appreciate my BS Badlands and realized that it's much more practical day to day and especially on long road trips. If you want luxury and smooth, you won't get it with the Bronco. I can truly say I quite enjoy driving the BS even after 6 months now. Once chips are readily available I'll make my attempt to get a full sized Bronco for nearby off roading and weekend cruising.

LowGun84

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I bought a BS Badlands at the time because I wanted a smaller sized SUV and thought the BS was pretty cool. The BS Badlands and up have the 2.0L turbo upgrade and is a very peppy little ride for sure! I've since test driven the full sized Bronco and while I would still like to have a full size to mess around with...the full sized Bronco is a "rough" ride and definitely more truck like. Very capable off road of course! However, I've come to appreciate my BS Badlands and realized that it's much more practical day to day and especially on long road trips. If you want luxury and smooth, you won't get it with the Bronco. I can truly say I quite enjoy driving the BS even after 6 months now. Once chips are readily available I'll make my attempt to get a full sized Bronco for nearby off roading and weekend cruising.
Almost exactly same thoughts we had when we bought ours.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Almost exactly same thoughts we had when we bought ours.
Same here. Have a big Bronco reserved but depending on how allocations work out, it could be a few years. Decided I am ready to be without the 15 year old Escape. Originally thought ā€˜22 big Bronco was easily in the cards but then Ford changed the rules on allocations. Helping out Granger by getting a BS which eventually will help me get my Bronco one vehicle sooner!

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Another reason to drive a BS. This 500 miles driven in my Badlands was from Pagosa Springs to Santa Fe and then down to I40. Down to Santa Fe drove in manual usually 6&7 gear. Once I hit the interstate, set the cruise at 82. You won't do that in a Bronco.

Ford Bronco Sport Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco? IMG_2195
What kind of gas are you using?

I've got 87, 91, and 93 in my neck of the woods. Premium is about $1 more than regular per gallon right now. So, at between $10-15 more per tank, the choice between regular and premium is not trivial to me. Just trying to math out where the performance/value sweet spot might be.

garagelogic

Outer Banks
First Name
Brodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Honesty, two reasons. 1) Youā€™re going to be hard pressed to find a Bronco at any trim level anywhere near MSRP. 2) I was able to test drive a Black Diamond edition and I was disappointed. Felt underpowered and the interior seemed very cheap with the vinyl seats and thin plastics on the door handles, center console, etc. I felt the sport was the better built vehicle. Like others, I will revisit the big Bronco in a couple of years after they make refinements to it and offer upgraded materials/powertrain.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The big Bronco Iā€™m sure would be awesome, and I probably did question, at least for a moment, should I have chosen the ā€˜realā€™ bronco instead? Iā€™m a single guy with a dog, so donā€™t have a particular need for a larger size vehicle & could have chosen either Bronco, as I just wouldā€™ve had to wait a little longer for the non-Sport one. Ultimately though my decision, like many others, came down to a few main factors:

1. Cost. I wouldā€™ve had to sacrifice too much in options that I want/need to bring the full-size into budget. Base model, 2 door as I donā€™t want a long term car loan. Had I configured a full-size similar to my BL, it wasnā€™t hard to get it to $15K more. That might be fine if I was going to use the $15K of capability off road, but Iā€™m not.

2. Size. The vast majority of my driving is city/urban, with long road trips in between. The sport in an Escape size is perfect for urban running, whereas the full-size in a 4 door is closer in size to my explorer. Doable, but not ideal for my main uses. Plus that size comes with a fuel economy penalty. Iā€™m willing to accept the lower economy of the sport over an escape, but going lower with the full-size is just a step too far.

3. Use. Speaking of use, Iā€™m not an off-roader. Oilfield/logging roads are still roads & the Sport will handle them just fine. Going for the BL, thatā€™s even a step beyond what I need in ability. Certainly the Sportā€™s capabilities exceed my off-road driving skills, and as I travel alone & have to drive it home, Iā€™m unlikely to test those limits too far.

4. Climate. Honestly I live where thereā€™s 6 months of winter, so Iā€™m unlikely to have the top & doors off that often. Or forever be taking them off & on. All I need is a 4 season car. Perhaps once Iā€™m retired in a sunny climate somewhere itā€™ll be awesome to travel around in a convertible again & my next one can be a full-size.

Power to everyone wanting the fullsize one as opposed to what seems to me to be a modern day Bronco II. My sales man actually mentioned to me that his wife is stuck on a 2 door, so heā€™s warned her sheā€™ll be waiting awhile. But for me? I get most of the look & coolness in what I think is a much more livable package for my use case.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
1. I agree itā€™s a tough choice. personally Iā€™m not on the Big Boy Bronco ? list, and the wait is 2-3 years?
2. The Bronco black diamond trim has the rear locker, once itā€™s optioned out (ie. Sasquatch pkge) with stuff, then a $2k - $5k trip to four wheel drive parts. Itā€™s in the mid $40k. Add finance charges and the truck is well over $50k.
3. Iā€™m not sure if I would feel comfortable beating up a $50k vehicle while off-roading . Iā€™m okay pushing the BS and giving the Bronco Sport a run for its money.
4. Iā€™ve always wanted a Subaru either a Crosstrek, too small, Forester, looks boxy and dated or a Subie Outbreak, not a fan of CVT. My understanding is the Subarus donā€™t make it past 200,000 miles on the engine, head gasket issues? Plus TFL has tested the Susie Outbreak and they typically canā€™t get far off the beaten track? The one YouTuber, canā€™t remember his name, goes camping with his two dogs ?. He mentioned that he picks a camping site further up the mountain where the Subarus need to turn around.
5. In conclusion I wanted something that will last 10-20 years, 300k-400k before an engine rebuild. Gets out of its own way. wont get stuck getting out of an unplowed ā›„ Walmart parking lot or soft dirt , like my Prius or 2 wheel drive F150. Can run it out on the desert ? at 80-90mph, gets good gas mileage, able to go glamping. Take to the sierras to go hiking ?, pull a trailer, drive to Alaska, Colorado or Utah and get on the dirt with some good off road ability.
6. I suspect a lot of Jeep owners will get rid of their Wranglers once the Broncos hit the showroom at MSRP. Youā€™ll see used 4 wheel drive vehicles pop up. Then once the Tesla Cybertruck hits youā€™ll see used Broncos on the market.
7. right now saying Iā€™m thinking of getting a big bronco is about the same as going on vacation to see Nessie ? the lockness monster. Pretty much unavailable, Just ainā€™t in the cards.
8. I offered the dealer MSRP for the four door Bronco In the showroom. I pretty much got laughed out of the dealership. He said when youā€™re ready to buy, come back and weā€™ll negotiate! ā€œI told him Iā€™m ready to negotiate now.ā€ Great. ā€œDo you do x-plan pricing on the bronco- lol ? ā€œ
Those guys were assholes, Iā€™d take my business elsewhere. Iā€™d drive states away and come back with that MSRP sales doc and say , ā€œ In yer face Azzwipesā€

elmhead

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
When I did go to the dealer to put down my deposit on my OB Sport, they did have a full sized Bronco in the showroom for just a few thousand more. I was tempted, but I'm getting an incredible trade in deal from Carvana on my 2017 Fusion and I want to take advantage of that before the used car market changes. Also, I feel gas prices are not going to go down so mileage was important. Finally, I really like the Sport! I will look forward to driving it everyday when it hopefully gets delivered this week. To each their own though. Drive what makes you happy!

Steve8583

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
For me it was that reality that Iā€™m not taking a brand new vehicle of that price any place where the sport wonā€™t go, sport badlands was a good mix off fun/capable daily driver, ask yourself would you rather have all the nice comforts, or base model and always feel like it needs to be more comfortable ie, more money

kvenerable

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For me it was a matter of choosing a vehicle on a spectrum from sedan to rock crawler as far as on-road to off-road capability. My final three options were the rav4, Bronco Sport, or Bronco 2D. The rav4 has the best handling on road, gas mileage, and price. The Bronco 2D was the most capable off road, worst gas mileage, and most expensive. The Bronco sport is somewhere in between. Since it will be my only car and I do need to drive it in the city when there is too much rain to ride my motorcycle, I wanted more road performance than the 2D. Since itā€™s other purpose besides rain/snow commuter is hunting, hiking, and adventuring, I wanted more off road ruggedness than the rav4. The Bronco Sport fit that slot perfectly for me. The price and lead time were also perks vs the big Bronco.
Good response aboveā€¦ I live where AZ, UT and NV meet, and have free time all day, every day. Hiking and ascents often. When I moved out here I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport and tricked it out - it looked great and was bullet proof off-road. BUT, it sucked on the highway & the noise, removable doors, top, etc just seemed stupid to me. The BS gets me to base camp all over the Southwest, in comfort, and safety; and with the right tires and a little lift it does pretty rough miles for me multiple times every week. Then the adventures start on foot.
Bronco reminds me of the Wrangler. if you are a rock crawler or high speed off-roader, or actually just like driving the nearly impassable - both are made for it (Iā€™d go for the Wrangler though, nothing like it for proven mods/aftermarket), but for my needs, BS hits it. I do have a Bronco on order, but if I really wanted to make a change, assume I would have already gone out and got another Wrangler without waiting multiple years.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
To me the two cars aren't the same at all, just share a name. Bronco is a Wrangler rival and Broncosport is unique in the segment. I've had a wrangler in the past, not looking for another one. I'd also be paying a whole lot for a car I'd use to its full offroading potential a handful of times, if that, in its lifetime.

In the Broncosport, I get a great fly fishing car, a great commuter and hockey car and I don't get the crappy fuel consumption and I'm not paying for capability in a car that I'll never come close to using. I can also get it almost fully loaded, with the premium package, in my budget and leather seats are important to me, so thats a big win. We all have some features on cars we'd really like to have, thats one for me.

The Broncosport is the car that you can live with and take onto trails without worrying about it meanwhile being a good daily driver. Only downside is the back row is abit cramped, but I'm planning on folding the seats down anyway and utilizing it like a covered bed.

I guess if someone is comparing them they're trying to talk themselves out of the Big Bronco, for me it was never in the conversation. Don't want, don't need that car. I need something that I can bounce on the trails and take to work. The Badlands does both easily.

I've watched all the youtube videos as well and its more than capable offroad. It just lacks the articulation, ground clearance and true locking diff of the big boys.

Last edited:

ESBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 CooperS 85 F150
Good luck getting a heated steering wheel on a base Bronco. Wife wanted a heated steering wheel. Does there really have to be another reason ?
Sponsored