Who changed model? Who sold a 1.5 to get into 2.0?

NaysBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Drove the 1.5, can't remember which edition. We didn't hate it and it would likely have been sufficient, but if we were spending the money on this, I wanted the most capable we could get. Took a while, but I found a dealer ordered BL in red. I was shocked and put a deposit that day. Came in about a month later.
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Well maybe they should put a 400HP V6 in a BS & put the body on a real 4x4 Truck chassis , I'll bet that would make a few people happy , oh wait they did that , but its only about 100K , ya I don't care I just want the speed .

Why play with the BS ?:cwl:

OP
OP
AllTerrain

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Even the Bronco Off-Roadeo didn't/doesn't allow the the 1.5 models to participate.
Hmmm...? they may not allow 1.5 models to participate but don't think it's because of the engine size.

Agree there are other modifications to the Badlands first edition models. like the goat modes and selected four wheel drive button.
Imo The suspension is a great addition to helping.
That said there are plenty of Bronco sport drivers that are having great success with all-wheel drive system the 1.5s are equipped with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllTerrain

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Never owned a 1.5, but test drove one. It was perfectly adequate. Maybe even a little “peppy”. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I’ve never been a fan of adequate vehicles, I’ve always wanted the bigger engine, more horsepower, stronger drivetrains. I’d even take less bling for a better drivetrain, like my 1993 Mustang LX with the 5.0 and 5 speed. Not flashy like the GT but had all the hardware. The 2.0 is a BIG difference. It feels downright quick. It’s a whopping 70hp more than the 1.5. If the difference was only 20 or 30hp the decision would’ve been a lot harder for me.

That was my justification for the Badlands. My wife wanted the ebony/brown leather interior that came with the premium package. After she seen one that was sitting on the lot nothing else would do.
Like that comparison of the engines and horsepower differences. Agree

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I really hesitated getting the 1.5L coming from 2L escapes and I had a fleet 4cyl 1.5L escape with work that I absolutely detested as it was gutless on my mountain commute to the city.
I had a service loaner 1.5L 2020 Escape and was pleasantly surprised by the power and bit the bullet. there's a part of me that wants the 2L Badlands, but being more of a local cruiser now, fuel economy weighed into the decision and am seriously considering a move to a hybrid for my next vehicle....

OP
OP
AllTerrain

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I really hesitated getting the 1.5L coming from 2L escapes and I had a fleet 4cyl 1.5L escape with work that I absolutely detested as it was gutless on my mountain commute to the city.
I had a service loaner 1.5L 2020 Escape and was pleasantly surprised by the power and bit the bullet. there's a part of me that wants the 2L Badlands, but being more of a local cruiser now, fuel economy weighed into the decision and am seriously considering a move to a hybrid for my next vehicle....
Seeing those hybrid Mavericks already on the road is doing the footwork of marketing for the hybrid Bronco sport.

Troy

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I had an OB for a few months. I traded it in on a custom BL+BL order that canceled and I picked it up. I got 36k for trade-in (3k more than I paid for it brand new), and paid 39k (MSRP) for the BL. The very long list of things the BL+BL has over a plain OB is long and for 3k more it was a no-brainer. As others have mentioned, the engine power difference is significant. Throw in all of the off-road differences (tires, suspenion, bash plates, lift, etc. etc) and its well worth it in my opinion even if I didnt get the great trade in deal.

Glennmiller

Big Bend
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Have noticed several people have sold or traded in their Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, models to get into a Badlands.

Thought to ask those who sold their 1.5 and into the 2.0~
What was your reasons for doing so?
Who else may be planning to change model?
Bought my Big Bend in Apr 21 traded it in Oct 21. I had a difficult time towing my side by side with trailer. All good now. Plus I love the off road package.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
base model here. we chose it because we didn't need fancy stuff or all the technology, we are the oldest young people you'll ever meet lol. we are very happy and have no regrets.
there's a couple things i would like on our base that the badlands has; front tow hooks, and bash plates. other than that, it does everything we ask of it and have had zero issues in 17,500 kms.
that being said, i have a lift on the way, just upgraded to 245/65/17, and a metal fabricator friend is doing skid plates at the end of this month. plus the base model price tag, for a brand new suv was too good to pass up. we want to keep this rig for a long time.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Maverick/Escape/Bronco Sport all share the same platform/engines and yes, the Bronco Sport will get the hybrid at some point. :) but currently leaning the Maverick for my personal ride in the next year or 2

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Hmmm...? they may not allow 1.5 models to participate but don't think it's because of the engine size.

Agree there are other modifications to the Badlands first edition models. like the goat modes and selected four wheel drive button.
Imo The suspension is a great addition to helping.
That said there are plenty of Bronco sport drivers that are having great success with all-wheel drive system the 1.5s are equipped with.
I think it’s because you’d need that 2.0 liter only Goat called rock crawl.

OP
OP
AllTerrain

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think it’s because you’d need that 2.0 liter only Goat called rock crawl.
Probably just the gearing for it...

The Samurais I used to drive did just fine with the little Putt-Putt engine they had and I had one with an upgraded engine from the sidekick really the gearing is what helped the little engines

The larger engine was better to go 55 on surface streets

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
IMHO, the reason only FE and BL owners get invited to the Off Rodeo is because those are the "off road" models. It doesn't hurt that they cost more and that can help cover the cost of admission.

You don't get to drive your own BS, I'm not sure I would want to. I'll be driving down there to it, I want to be sure I can drive back in my BS.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
I went from a OBX to BL, sold the OBX for $5k more than I paid for it and that just about covered the price difference on a fully loaded BL.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Probably just the gearing for it...

The Samurais I used to drive did just fine with the little Putt-Putt engine they had and I had one with an upgraded engine from the sidekick really the gearing is what helped the little engines

The larger engine was better to go 55 on surface streets
Yeah I came up with 3 speeds then four on the floor, V-8’s and straight sixes.
I have no doubt that my EIGHT speed tranny is the main reason my 1.5L THREE banger gets up and goes so well.
Yeah yeah Turbo too but it would be so laggy if this little engine was coupled to a five speed of old.
Who would a ever thunk !
Sponsored