First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
From the manual.

Choosing the Right Fuel
Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 245).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.

For additional information, refer to www.toptiergas.com.
Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
• Diesel fuel.
• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
Where and when you can find it (Rutters in PA, and various Sheetz in the eastern States), the 1.5 runs just fine on E88 (15% ethanol, 88 octane) saves 50 cents most of the time. I have 27k on my 22 (new in Sept 22) with no ill effects. Incidentally I have tried 91 (mid grade) and gained only 1 mpg. 87 95% of the time and the 88 when I can find it. I travel for work, 1,000 miles a week, oil changes every 4th weekend.

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'd also add that should the car sit for a long period of time, burn off the ethanol based fuel, and fill the tank with non ethanol. This will prevent gumming. Non ethanol fuel is expensive though.

At the very least, you can add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, but non ethanol is the best for a vehicle that will sit in storage for a length of time.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i always fill with 91 octane, highest we can get up here.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I tried 93 for 2 full fill-ups on my 1.5. Absolutely zero difference in performance, engine smoothness, even MPG was the same. Save your money and just use 87 is my recommendation.
Agreed. Some however have stated they saw an increase in performance and MPG, albeit slight, so I question is it worth the higher price?

If you tow, (and I don't) I'd consider going to a higher octane.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I use 91 only. There was a significant difference for me over 87 in the summer time. In the winter not very much but I still prefer to use premium.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I have run 87 octane since day 1. Over a year, almost 13k miles and have averaged 26-28mpg every fill up.
Sponsored