nmessina

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
did you ever find a solution to this? I got my BB stuck a few weeks ago in the sand, and the manual says it has the hooks if equipped, which mine didn't. We had to use boards to get it out since I could not find anywhere to hook up to, not even underneath..
Sponsored

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was looking at the bottom/front of my OB when it was on the alignment rack and couldn't find anything to attach to for towing from the front. Any spot available would tear off the body components if given a proper tug.

From photos of the plastic bumper/façade removed, I saw the 2 holes in the steel bumper on each side for the tow hooks to attach to, but what a job to get to!

When I bought the OB, I thought it would be easy to add features, like towing and hooks. Wrong. Big disappointment.

Just don't get stuck in the Base, BB, or OB editions.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
did you ever find a solution to this? I got my BB stuck a few weeks ago in the sand, and the manual says it has the hooks if equipped, which mine didn't. We had to use boards to get it out since I could not find anywhere to hook up to, not even underneath..
I've been watching a YouTube channel called Matt's Offroad Recovery. He specializes in getting people unstuck, and many of the vehicles he works with are not equipped with recovery hooks. He often crawls underneath and uses soft shackles around the lower control arms (yellow arrow in the photo below). He usually attaches them nearer the frame rather than the wheel hub.

Ford Bronco Sport Where should I hook a tow strap? 3_fr_oa_low-copy

Matt sometimes answers questions from viewers in his videos, and one of them was a question about the durability of lower control arms as a recovery point. He claims you can hang a vehicle from the control arms without fear of damaging anything.

Use this information at your own discretion.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I was looking at the bottom/front of my OB when it was on the alignment rack and couldn't find anything to attach to for towing from the front. Any spot available would tear off the body components if given a proper tug.

From photos of the plastic bumper/façade removed, I saw the 2 holes in the steel bumper on each side for the tow hooks to attach to, but what a job to get to!

When I bought the OB, I thought it would be easy to add features, like towing and hooks. Wrong. Big disappointment.

Just don't get stuck in the Base, BB, or OB editions.
The lower trims are missing the steel brackets welded to the frame that the Badlands tow hooks mount to. So functional Badlands tow hooks cant be added unless a frame bracket is custom fabricated.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Here's possibly a solution.

A nudge bar install can be a tow point since it's bolted to the frame 🤷.
Ford Bronco Sport Where should I hook a tow strap? Screenshot_20230608-081510_Drive

Just a thought🤔

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Here's possibly a solution.

A nudge bar install can be a tow point since it's bolted to the frame 🤷.
Ford Bronco Sport Where should I hook a tow strap? Screenshot_20230608-081510_Drive

Just a thought🤔
I’m a bit late. But this is my exact situation haha I installed this exact nudge bar. I’ve been scouring the internet wondering if there’s a way to add tow hooks to the nudge bar bracket. I can’t find anything and the bracket bolted to the frame only comes out from the bumper an inch or two so I don’t see where a recovery point is unless you connect to the actual nudge bar which I do not trust even a little haha.

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Putting this here for those that don’t have a tow package. The picture is where the recovery tow point is (Red Circle) on the rear of the sport. The first link takes you to an Amazon page with a great price for a Recovery Tow Eye. The second link is for what is stated as OEM Recovery Tow Eye. They have the same part number, but they do look a bit different and it’s hard to tell metal quality when it’s in your hand. So, you’ll have to make your choice based on pictures. Amazon may tell you it won’t fit the BS, but it does. It is the Ford part number that is recommended. Other info you might want: the Recovery Eye is reverse threaded, so left/loose right/tight does not apply.

https://a.co/d/evOk6M3

https://a.co/d/bvwOYuH

Ford Bronco Sport Where should I hook a tow strap? IMG_0135

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Should I ever need a tow, I will call the towing service that Ford dispatches and drops off at the Ford dealership. This way, if any damage is done during the tow, either Ford or the towing service is liable.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Should I ever need a tow, I will call the towing service that Ford dispatches and drops off at the Ford dealership. This way, if any damage is done during the tow, either Ford or the towing service is liable.
Next time I'm up Black Bear Pass and I'm in need of recovery, I'll be sure to contact my local dealer to help 🤣👍.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Putting this here for those that don’t have a tow package. The picture is where the recovery tow point is (Red Circle) on the rear of the sport. The first link takes you to an Amazon page with a great price for a Recovery Tow Eye. The second link is for what is stated as OEM Recovery Tow Eye. They have the same part number, but they do look a bit different and it’s hard to tell metal quality when it’s in your hand. So, you’ll have to make your choice based on pictures. Amazon may tell you it won’t fit the BS, but it does. It is the Ford part number that is recommended. Other info you might want: the Recovery Eye is reverse threaded, so left/loose right/tight does not apply.

It certain situations (especially getting over a obstacles) the tow point in front might be more accurate for a situation your trying to get past.....🤷‍♂️

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I’m a bit late. But this is my exact situation haha I installed this exact nudge bar. I’ve been scouring the internet wondering if there’s a way to add tow hooks to the nudge bar bracket. I can’t find anything and the bracket bolted to the frame only comes out from the bumper an inch or two so I don’t see where a recovery point is unless you connect to the actual nudge bar which I do not trust even a little haha.
I do not believe the bracketry depicted in this installation document will support recovery/towing operations. The photo at this link shows how the factory tow hooks on the Badlands attach to the unibody. Note the reinforcement brackets and how they are welded to the unibody. If your bull bar doesn't include this level of structural attachment to the vehicle's unibody then I would not use it for recovery/towing ops.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I do not believe the bracketry depicted in this installation document will support recovery/towing operations. The photo at this link shows how the factory tow hooks on the Badlands attach to the unibody. Note the reinforcement brackets and how they are welded to the unibody. If your bull bar doesn't include this level of structural attachment to the vehicle's unibody then I would not use it for recovery/towing ops.
This is why we need you around here haha all jokes aside I truly value your input on this forum and take your advice seriously so yep, not using those as recovery points thanks!!

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

I got my tow hook from my Ford dealership using Ford points. Just be aware that, for whatever reason, it screws in counterclockwise.