Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I do not believe the bracketry depicted in this installation document will support recovery/towing operations. The photo at this link shows how the factory tow hooks on the Badlands attach to the unibody. Note the reinforcement brackets and how they are welded to the unibody. If your bull bar doesn't include this level of structural attachment to the vehicle's unibody then I would not use it for recovery/towing ops.
Yeah, all the nudge bars just use the bolt locations that stabilize the tow hooks from turning. Besides being at least 4x as strong as any one of those bolts, the tow hook is attached deeper in the frame in a presumably stronger location. The eight bolts would probably be strong enough, but unlikely to be equalized, and attached to frame parts of dubious strength.
Sponsored

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I do not believe the bracketry depicted in this installation document will support recovery/towing operations. The photo at this link shows how the factory tow hooks on the Badlands attach to the unibody. Note the reinforcement brackets and how they are welded to the unibody. If your bull bar doesn't include this level of structural attachment to the vehicle's unibody then I would not use it for recovery/towing ops.
What's the difference from being towed in the rear from your tow hook attached to the hitch (that isn't welded) and the bull bar on the front?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What's the difference from being towed in the rear from your tow hook attached to the hitch (that isn't welded) and the bull bar on the front?
Ford offers a tow hook that screws into a fitting on the rear bumper for recovery/towing operations. The bumper attachment to the unibody is designed for this purpose. If you get the factory tow option the receiver mount replaces the tow hook.

If you get a minute, crawl under your car and look how the bumper is attached to the unibody. I assure you it's far more sturdy than the brackets used on the aftermarket bull bars I've seen.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford offers a tow hook that screws into a fitting on the rear bumper for recovery/towing operations. The bumper attachment to the unibody is designed for this purpose. If you get the factory tow option the receiver mount replaces the tow hook.

If you get a minute, crawl under your car and look how the bumper is attached to the unibody. I assure you it's far more sturdy than the brackets used on the aftermarket bull bars I've seen.
Liked "The bumper attachment to the unibody is designed for this purpose. If you get the factory tow option the receiver mount replaces the tow hook."

Great explanation 👌. Thank you Mark.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Next time I'm up Black Bear Pass and I'm in need of recovery, I'll be sure to contact my local dealer to help 🤣👍.
Next time I'm up Black Bear Pass and in need of recovery, I'll be prepared, and not worry about a tow bar, because I'd already have it, along with a partner rider, or a winch. :like:

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
The tow hitch is pulling on much larger bolts in shear, well equalized, bolted to a place on the frame meant to take towing loads. The bull bar is levering on much smaller bolts, in tension/bending on frame parts of unknown strength. Not an engineer, but have some idea of the forces and structures needed. I think you’d stand a good chance of ripping the bull bar and the pieces of the frame it bolts to off in a recovery.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I can assure you two of those little tabs have a minimum breaking strength far lower than your tow rope or winch line. These are the main connection point for the nudge bars I’ve seen, with one more small bolt below.
Ford Bronco Sport Where should I hook a tow strap? IMG_0067
Sponsored