GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anybody received any feedback from Ford about missing engine covers?
Maybe if enough people complain Ford will rectify this...
Is this a bad time to say many are also missing hood insulator? My BS Outer Banks is missing both an engine cover and a hood insulator.

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
Ordered the parts to my home and did it myself with tips from Viking’s earlier post.

1. Used a little anti-seize on each screw and got those in first.

2. Carefully cut the two small zip ties with some cutting pliers. Make sure to not cut the tubes or their insulation. Also, make sure to not drop any small pieces of the zip ties into the engine.

3. Took a little bit of leverage, but pull the brace straight up. Don’t torque it at an angle, don’t want to risk breaking the special longer stud bolt that the brace holds onto. Make sure to hold the right side tube out of the way for when the brace pops off.

4. Place the cover on and push each of the four spots where the studs are til you hear/feel it engage.

5. Appreciate how much better it looks, and try to figure out why Ford couldn’t have just included the cover in the first place.

Sidenote: it appears with the cover installed, it completely secures those two tubes/cords. The brace just seems to prevent them from “lifting off” the top of the engine. The brace’s primary function doesn’t seem for supporting those tubes/cords from underneath. Everything fits nice and snug after.
How many studs are needed. The diagram I've been seeing shows 1 big stud and 1 small stud. Sounds like you used more... For the 1.5 btw

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
Ordered the parts to my home and did it myself with tips from Viking’s earlier post.

1. Used a little anti-seize on each screw and got those in first.

2. Carefully cut the two small zip ties with some cutting pliers. Make sure to not cut the tubes or their insulation. Also, make sure to not drop any small pieces of the zip ties into the engine.

3. Took a little bit of leverage, but pull the brace straight up. Don’t torque it at an angle, don’t want to risk breaking the special longer stud bolt that the brace holds onto. Make sure to hold the right side tube out of the way for when the brace pops off.

4. Place the cover on and push each of the four spots where the studs are til you hear/feel it engage.

5. Appreciate how much better it looks, and try to figure out why Ford couldn’t have just included the cover in the first place.

Sidenote: it appears with the cover installed, it completely secures those two tubes/cords. The brace just seems to prevent them from “lifting off” the top of the engine. The brace’s primary function doesn’t seem for supporting those tubes/cords from underneath. Everything fits nice and snug after.
Also did you install the engine cover insulation piece that goes under the cover as well?

3leggedhorse

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
See pic.....you already have the insulator installed. You will need 3 ball studs (see part number on bag) the long stud is already there but is being used by the black plastic brace shown. As previously mentioned, cut zip ties and carefull pry the pressure tab on the brace away from the the long white ball stud and pull up to remove. The cover will then pop into place (ball socket type fit) and connects at four locations
Ford Bronco Sport Upset over missing engine cover! 20220316_115846

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Attended the Atlanta Auto Show yesterday. I think it probably hit its covid low in terms of vehicle participation but very prominently displayed under the the hood of a Subie Forester was a large engine cover! All that and a chance to play in the puppy corral.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Just sold my 2021 Big Bend to Carvana. Here's what the engine looked like from the factory.

Ford Bronco Sport Upset over missing engine cover! 5D3BF539-7A57-46C8-A95D-3BA742922D74_1_201_a

Picked up my new 2022 Outer Banks yesterday.
Here's what its engine looks like.

Ford Bronco Sport Upset over missing engine cover! E9AE0900-BF64-43EA-9257-2E31B63FC5EB_1_201_a

Now I need some further instructions. Is this where I am supposed to be outraged about the lack of an engine cover? I really need some guidance on this. I slept fine last night. Was that wrong? Am I taking this huge injustice too lightly? Please help.

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Just sold my 2021 Big Bend to Carvana. Here's what the engine looked like from the factory.

Ford Bronco Sport Upset over missing engine cover! 5D3BF539-7A57-46C8-A95D-3BA742922D74_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Sport Upset over missing engine cover! E9AE0900-BF64-43EA-9257-2E31B63FC5EB_1_201_a

Now I need some further instructions. Is this where I am supposed to be outraged about the lack of an engine cover? I really need some guidance on this. I slept fine last night. Was that wrong? Am I taking this huge injustice too lightly? Please help.
I think the pictures speak for themselves! I was upset about the MISSING engine cover, as well as many others.

Badwolf13

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Around two months ago, I talked to an engineer at Ford. He said the "possibility" was the Bronco Sports were experiencing a "running hotter than normal" condition and that deleting the engine cover and under the hood insulator was a quick fix of the "possibility" of this issue. Mine came without these as well and I was very curious....so I made a couple of calls.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL

You just got Carvana'd!

Around two months ago, I talked to an engineer at Ford. He said the "possibility" was the Bronco Sports were experiencing a "running hotter than normal" condition and that deleting the engine cover and under the hood insulator was a quick fix of the "possibility" of this issue. Mine came without these as well and I was very curious....so I made a couple of calls.
And my Uncle works at Nintendo...

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Damn so not having an engine cover may be better.
If this were true, I would think there would have been a massive recall for the thousands of Bronco Sports and Escapes that were shipped with engine covers to remove them. Lots of people have engine covers, and I havent heard of overheating problems.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
If this were true, I would think there would have been a massive recall for the thousands of Bronco Sports and Escapes that were shipped with engine covers to remove them. Lots of people have engine covers, and I havent heard of overheating problems.
BS isn't the only vehicle with these engines. The problem would have been discovered sooner.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Yes, if it were true there would at least be a service bulletin. Sounds like some engineering type trying to spitball a reason for parts not being there, when parts shortages are in fact the actual reason Ford has already given. FWIW, Ford is not shipping *ANY* of their current vehicles with the 2.0L EB engine with an engine cover. It's not there on the Escape or Maverick. If you want it, you can order the cover and the couple parts from your parts department and install it yourself in < 5 min.

As for hood insulators, I'm pretty sure the Badlands/FE with 2.0L never had them. Were they ever a thing on the Bronco Sport?
Sponsored