Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Do you mean the roof rails? Those are integral and not meant to be removed. I was referring to anything you attach to those rails: roof boxes, kayak carriers, spare tire carrier, etc.
Yes indeed. I realized the other day that I was probably misunderstanding what you meant. Thanks for the follow-up!
Sponsored

LocoGringo

Big Bend
First Name
Loco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Stock everything except window vents/ air deflectors. Going to be adding a few more upgrades (i.e. scoop, fender flares).

Avg 40 mpg using Eco mode on long trips after fillups.

Using 87 and nothing else.

Oil life 67%

54-56 mph

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 20220513_001829

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Stock everything except window vents/ air deflectors. Going to be adding a few more upgrades (i.e. scoop, fender flares).

Oil life 67%

54-56 mph

Sure, everyone can get that kind of mileage under certain conditions. Fill up tank. Start driving on roads with no traffic and no stops and keep it at 50-55mph.

Show your mileage driving under normal conditions in everyday traffic and for a whole tank, not just a cherry-picked small sample.

LocoGringo

Big Bend
First Name
Loco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sure, everyone can get that kind of mileage under certain conditions. Fill up tank. Start driving on roads with no traffic and no stops and keep it at 50-55mph.

Show your mileage driving under normal conditions in everyday traffic and for a whole tank, not just a cherry-picked small sample.

I've hit 40 mpg numerous times and have been documenting it.

Also not all flat road as the freeway is on hilly terrain.

Seems to be more-so after fillups. Idk if the extra pressure has something to do with it or what but I ain't complaining!

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 20220416_223524

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
I've hit 40 mpg numerous times and have been documenting it.

Also not all flat road as the freeway is on hilly terrain.

Seems to be more-so after fillups. Idk if the extra pressure has something to do with it or what but I ain't complaining!

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 20220416_223524
In your first picture you've got 468 miles until empty. You've driven 60 miles.(I'll give you the .2). That's a total of 528 miles on a tank. Tank holds 16 gallons. 528/16=33mpg. A long way from 40mpg.

In your second picture you've got 423 miles until empty. You've driven 63 miles. That's a total of 483 miles on a tank. 483/16=30.1mpg. Even further from 40mpg.

Edit: If your computer is anything like mine, it's generous by a couple of MPGs.

Last edited:

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Exactly. It will be closer to 23 or 24😂

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

Oil life 67%

54-56 mph

I've done it too, I've done one tank averages over 41mpg. Verified by simple math. In my case I was following the posted limit using Intelligent Cruise on long, uninterupted road trips. One of the responses below was anything over 23-24 is BS and one should drive normal to get a good take on mpg. I'd say BS to that, normal is a very subjective term. Whatever u are doing to get that kind of mpg keep doing it, even if your ECU is off by 10-15% you are still doing good

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
My BB has 3700 miles on her and just had her first oil change. I have averaged between 26 and 28 mpg since day one. This is basically the result of 75% city, 25% highway on 87 octane Shell gas only. The trip computer on the car ranges about 1 mpg higher every tank. We are planning a long road trip in August to Las Vegas and SoCal. This will be a big test of both gas mileage and the Bronco's durability in extreme temperatures. I'm looking forward to seeing how she handles it.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

Everyone has a different normal. I drive in Miami, I95, 4 to 5 lanes, 30 to 65 depending on traffic, 40 miles r/t 5 days a week and my average is 31 to 35 mpg. Best avg was 41.3 nonstop down to Key West and back. 346 miles total. Normal is whatever u drive day to day, week after week.

Ericnovitskiy

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I recently just hit 15k on mine. My MPG for the past 12 months has been at a steady 25. Not the best but in the cars defense my driving rarely consist of highway driving, also the car is heavier because I installed aftermarket wheels and tires.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Two sounds I hope everyone can hear.
I've only had one other turbocharged vehicle. It was an Explorer sport, 3.5L twin turbo that I traded in for my 1.3L OB. (Bit of a difference there, lol)

I could barely hear the turbo on the Explorer, but on the OB, when the engine is under load and I let off the gas I hear the turbo "whipple" quite noticeably.

>Does everyone hear that?

Obviosly I wouldn't think mine is any different.
I think it's pretty cool but a rep at the dealer said they had no idea they had a purge valve. I'm no turbo expert but I find it surprising.

More importantly, when I accelerate there is a hiss sound depending on how much I'm on the gas . I'm a little anxious about that do to some comments on other posts pointing to a possible problem.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Two sounds I hope everyone can hear.
I've only had one other turbocharged vehicle. It was an Explorer sport, 3.5L twin turbo that I traded in for my 1.3L OB. (Bit of a difference there, lol)

I could barely hear the turbo on the Explorer, but on the OB, when the engine is under load and I let off the gas I hear the turbo "whipple" quite noticeably.

Obviosly I wouldn't think mine is any different.
I think it's pretty cool but a rep at the dealer said they had no idea they had a purge valve. I'm no turbo expert but I find it surprising.

More importantly, when I accelerate there is a hiss sound depending on how much I'm on the gas . I'm a little anxious about that do to some comments on other posts pointing to a possible problem.

But then again my hearing is pretty bad

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
First, I laugh hysterically when any of you post a picture of your average that had less than 100 miles on it. Getting your average while you are already at speed, driving on a highway at speeds over 50mph... Let's examine how you got there:
First you brilliantly decided now you want to post your info cause you know you could do a better one. The first time you distract yourself is while looking for the screen and resetting it. Of course you're watching the average more now then before cause why else would you do this. Now you notice it's really still high and you're getting off the highway soon. So you grab your phone, that is most likely locked and plugged in. You unlock (maybe have to take off the sunglasses for face lock) start the camera maybe unplug it, look aim shoot. Wow seems like not a lot to do while driving a car. I know in my state just holding the phone is a ticketable offense. Your bronco sport forum post isn't going to go viral and it's definitely not worth crashing over.

LocoGringo

Big Bend
First Name
Loco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
First, I laugh hysterically when any of you post a picture of your average that had less than 100 miles on it. Getting your average while you are already at speed, driving on a highway at speeds over 50mph... Let's examine how you got there:
First you brilliantly decided now you want to post your info cause you know you could do a better one. The first time you distract yourself is while looking for the screen and resetting it. Of course you're watching the average more now then before cause why else would you do this. Now you notice it's really still high and you're getting off the highway soon. So you grab your phone, that is most likely locked and plugged in. You unlock (maybe have to take off the sunglasses for face lock) start the camera maybe unplug it, look aim shoot. Wow seems like not a lot to do while driving a car. I know in my state just holding the phone is a ticketable offense. Your bronco sport forum post isn't going to go viral and it's definitely not worth crashing over.
I reset tripometer after every fillup.

Pic was taken while I was driving but nbd, I felt safe enough going str8 down hwy w cruise on 55/56 mph + steering assist.

Again I have it on Eco mode, cruise 55 mph.

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 20220529_224929

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I reset tripometer after every fillup.

Pic was taken while I was driving but nbd, I felt safe enough going str8 down hwy w cruise on 55/56 mph + steering assist.

Again I have it on Eco mode, cruise 55 mph.

Ford Bronco Sport Unofficial MPG thread for the 1.5L 20220529_224929
It's not sustainable so since you reset it everytime, show us at the end of the tank. That's your average not 50 miles of highway driving
Sponsored