Radioman

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco
My 2021 BS big bend 1.5, automatic, 10700k TSO done on rear brakes and rear end differential replaced. I am only getting 13 mpg. 95% of driving is in town under 40 mph. I tried 2 tanks premium and I used eco mode for one tank with no noticeable mpg changes.. Recently I went 160 hwy miles at 70 to 75 mph and 82 miles in town under 40 mph on 15 gals in normal mode ...avg 16 mpg by my math. Should it be better than that?
Car instruments showed about the same same mpg avg. But 15 gals of in town driving only gets me 13 mpg...what is going on..? I read where people are averging 21 to 25. What can I do?
Sponsored

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My 2021 BS big bend 1.5, automatic, 10700k TSO done on rear brakes and rear end differential replaced. I am only getting 13 mpg. 95% of driving is in town under 40 mph. I tried 2 tanks premium and I used eco mode for one tank with no noticeable mpg changes.. Recently I went 160 hwy miles at 70 to 75 mph and 82 miles in town under 40 mph on 15 gals in normal mode ...avg 16 mpg by my math. Should it be better than that?
Car instruments showed about the same same mpg avg. But 15 gals of in town driving only gets me 13 mpg...what is going on..? I read where people are averging 21 to 25. What can I do?
The fuel injectors, tell them to check them, the potentially leaking injectors the 1.5 had a recall for, yours may be leaking, check for puddles under your car when parked, and smell for gas, and take it in to the dealer asap

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
Yeah Iā€™d get it checked out. It shouldnā€™t be getting 13 mpg if itā€™s going on 3 years old now.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Did you change tires, perhaps with an oversized tire size/height? This will change the calculated fuel economy readings.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The fuel injectors, tell them to check them, the potentially leaking injectors the 1.5 had a recall for, yours may be leaking, check for puddles under your car when parked, and smell for gas, and take it in to the dealer asap
That was my first thought.

CactusBS

Big Bend
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did you change tires, perhaps with an oversized tire size/height? This will change the calculated fuel economy readings.
It shouldn't drop that much, I upgraded to Wildpeaks and still am consistently at 27 mpg, all city/backroad driving.

Definitely get that back to the dealer.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Have you measured by hand, or are you going solely by the dash indication?

RPYLE50

Outer Banks
First Name
Rowdy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Yikes! Yes, definitely take your Bronco to the dealer. The worst I have ever gotten on a tank was (mostly town driving and on 87 octane) 22.8 MPG. Typically in mixed driving I at least get 25-27. I would have the dealer look at the fuel injectors as mentioned by other forum posters.

OP
OP
Radioman

Radioman

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco
Thanks for all responses. It will be 3 yrs old May 24. Still has orig tires. Have used the guage and my math for calculations. I did have it in for the fuel injector recall and dealer said it looked fine but it has been at some point after that visit I noticed the low usage. I will definately take it back for a look at injectors . THAT SOUNDS GOOD. Thanks again for yall's help. K

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This is the second report of low fuel economy following recall work for the drain tube. My guess is an issue with the software change. A fuel injector leak capable of affecting fuel economy that drastically would be evident--fuel would be POURING out of the engine during operation, and the odor would be overpowering.

OP
OP
Radioman

Radioman

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco
Iā€™d say something isnā€™t right, and have your dealer check it out. Is this something new that happened right after service?
Thanks I will do that right away. I'm new to this forum stuff. I posted a thank you to all who replied but I am not sure where it ended up. Ha. Butni definstemy wanted you to know I appreciate your recommendation since you were first to reply. Thanks kiddwiff.
AR

OP
OP
Radioman

Radioman

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco
This is the second report of low fuel economy following recall work for the drain tube. My guess is an issue with the software change. A fuel injector leak capable of affecting fuel economy that drastically would be evident--fuel would be POURING out of the engine during operation, and the odor would be overpowering.
Was there a software change?
Sponsored