Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
We just got back from a 4900 mile roadtrip across the country. You can see the route here. There were day trips to some different locations, but this is the main route that we took.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 9.12.34 PM

We had the BS packed pretty full (sorry no pictures) with our luggage, camping gear, inflatable SUP, dog and his kennel, beach gear, etc. I have Thule Evo bars and the Canyon XT basket on the top, which were also filled with more luggage and gear. Combined weight of rails, basket, and gear was approaching my 100lbs limit due to the moonroof. We used a rooftop bag to protect the gear from the elements. It worked flawlessly even through some serious extended downpours at highway speeds. (Bag is Here)

When we do our next cross country trip I will definitely buy a hardtop carrier. The basket and bag were great, but the constant loading and unloading of gear from this setup is tedious. It's also a very sweaty job in desert heat. I love the flexibility that the basket and bag offer for packing over a hard box, but for daily packing and unpacking a hardtop carrier would be ideal.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1609

The BS performed flawlessly the entire trip. I was concerned about having the top packed full of gear, but the BS handled almost the exact same. I could tell for the first hour or so that the BS was working a little harder on the highway, but quickly became accustomed to it and it never struggled. Into the wind at highway speed was no problem. Sideways winds obviously would blow us around a little more, but it never bothered me enough to have to slow down. We averaged between 75-80mph on the highways with no issues. We did take notice to slow down more than we normally would for larger turns, interchanges, and off-ramps.

I can say that I was thoroughly impressed, and cannot say enough about how it handled itself.

I reset the trip computer in our driveway, and here is the photo pulling back in. I filled up with gas at the station about .5 miles away right after this picture so my calculations are accurate.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1965

The computer says we averaged 20.8MPG. Now I have 245/65/17 Toyo AT3 tires so I know my computer and speedometer are not exact. Calculations by hand put us at 19.8MPG for the trip. We used 247.64 gallons and average price paid was $4.08/gallon. I was pretty happy with this. On 1000 mile roadtrips without the car loaded up the computer always says the average is between 21-22MPG. I don't drive slow and you'll almost always find us in the left lane. I don't know how people claim to average 28MPG with a Badlands.

For some more context I always use premium fuel. Always. The only 87 that was ever in the BS was the 3 gallons it had upon pickup from the dealer. I filled it up with 93 the whole way through Del Rio, TX then 91 was the only thing available until after OKC when we switched back to 93. I can't say I noticed a difference, and I didn't keep close enough records to try and compute MPG on 91 vs 93 tanks. We tried to keep the tank above 1/2 at all times, especially in the desert and on the excursions outside of the towns we stayed.

Some highlights were Route 90 through Texas, White Sands National Park, Shiprock National Monument, and Monument Valley. Driving into Shiprock the road has some big ruts and holes, but it is easy to navigate. Natalie drove there and we never bottomed out or had any issues in loose rocks. We drove up some steep side embankments and the BS handled them without hesitation. Wheels never spun and they were some steep 30 yard hills closer to the Spine.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1645
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1680
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1720
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1732
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1796
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1791
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1809
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1872
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1880
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1858
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1765

The BS is a great vehicle and I love mine more than I did 2 weeks ago. It was everything we could have asked for from a road-trip vehicle. I need to purchase a hardtop carrier for next time, but other than that I would do everything else the same. I wish it could handle more than 100lbs on top with the moonroof to free up a little more interior space. That's about my only complaint.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Great pics and write up, glad you had a great trip. The only way to get better mpg is to drive a lot slower, which gets easier as you get my age šŸ˜Ž ( donā€™t ask, donā€™t tell).
Thanks! Fortunately I didnā€™t get the BS based on gas mileage so itā€™s never bothered me that I donā€™t get the advertised mileage.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Great trip & photos. Monument Valley is a hidden gem to see.

Any roof top carrier will
affect mileage for sure.

But that's the price we pay with limited interior capacity.

I did a post here on my 2700 mile trip to Yellowstone. No roof top carrier but loaded with more crap than we needed.

2021 Badlands, usually between 70-75 MPH. 87 fuel. I did average
a pen & paper calculated of
26.8 MPG which I was also happy with.

So MPH & your loaded roof top gear surely made a
difference.

If MPG were the sole reason for owning a vehicle, this wouldn't be the 1st choice.

But it does so much more and goes places the average car won't.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
right on, looks like a solid trip! thanks for sharing!

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
We just got back from a 4900 mile roadtrip across the country. You can see the route here. There were day trips to some different locations, but this is the main route that we took.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 9.12.34 PM

We had the BS packed pretty full (sorry no pictures) with our luggage, camping gear, inflatable SUP, dog and his kennel, beach gear, etc. I have Thule Evo bars and the Canyon XT basket on the top, which were also filled with more luggage and gear. Combined weight of rails, basket, and gear was approaching my 100lbs limit due to the moonroof. We used a rooftop bag to protect the gear from the elements. It worked flawlessly even through some serious extended downpours at highway speeds. (Bag is Here)

When we do our next cross country trip I will definitely buy a hardtop carrier. The basket and bag were great, but the constant loading and unloading of gear from this setup is tedious. It's also a very sweaty job in desert heat. I love the flexibility that the basket and bag offer for packing over a hard box, but for daily packing and unpacking a hardtop carrier would be ideal.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1609

The BS performed flawlessly the entire trip. I was concerned about having the top packed full of gear, but the BS handled almost the exact same. I could tell for the first hour or so that the BS was working a little harder on the highway, but quickly became accustomed to it and it never struggled. Into the wind at highway speed was no problem. Sideways winds obviously would blow us around a little more, but it never bothered me enough to have to slow down. We averaged between 75-80mph on the highways with no issues. We did take notice to slow down more than we normally would for larger turns, interchanges, and off-ramps.

I can say that I was thoroughly impressed, and cannot say enough about how it handled itself.

I reset the trip computer in our driveway, and here is the photo pulling back in. I filled up with gas at the station about .5 miles away right after this picture so my calculations are accurate.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1965

The computer says we averaged 20.8MPG. Now I have 245/65/17 Toyo AT3 tires so I know my computer and speedometer are not exact. Calculations by hand put us at 19.8MPG for the trip. We used 247.64 gallons and average price paid was $4.08/gallon. I was pretty happy with this. On 1000 mile roadtrips without the car loaded up the computer always says the average is between 21-22MPG. I don't drive slow and you'll almost always find us in the left lane. I don't know how people claim to average 28MPG with a Badlands.

For some more context I always use premium fuel. Always. The only 87 that was ever in the BS was the 3 gallons it had upon pickup from the dealer. I filled it up with 93 the whole way through Del Rio, TX then 91 was the only thing available until after OKC when we switched back to 93. I can't say I noticed a difference, and I didn't keep close enough records to try and compute MPG on 91 vs 93 tanks. We tried to keep the tank above 1/2 at all times, especially in the desert and on the excursions outside of the towns we stayed.

Some highlights were Route 90 through Texas, White Sands National Park, Shiprock National Monument, and Monument Valley. Driving into Shiprock the road has some big ruts and holes, but it is easy to navigate. Natalie drove there and we never bottomed out or had any issues in loose rocks. We drove up some steep side embankments and the BS handled them without hesitation. Wheels never spun and they were some steep 30 yard hills closer to the Spine.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1645
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1680
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1720
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1732
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1796
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1791
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1809
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1872
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1880
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1858
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1765

The BS is a great vehicle and I love mine more than I did 2 weeks ago. It was everything we could have asked for from a road-trip vehicle. I need to purchase a hardtop carrier for next time, but other than that I would do everything else the same. I wish it could handle more than 100lbs on top with the moonroof to free up a little more interior space. That's about my only complaint.
Separate to the BS performance, how long was the trip (time) and camping the whole way?
Iā€™ve done the east coast a number of times and am itching to ā€˜go westā€™.

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Separate to the BS performance, how long was the trip (time) and camping the whole way?
Iā€™ve done the east coast a number of times and am itching to ā€˜go westā€™.

Trip was over 13 days. We didn't camp the whole way. Lots of local hotels and some major chains along the way. We had a "cabin" in Monument Valley at Gouldings Lodge which had awesome views and is a great place to stay.

Here's some pics of the cabin and the view over to Monument Valley from the porch. The View hotel was sold out when we booked the same day as we arrived, but we really liked Gouldings and I think it's the better option of the two.

Are you in Melbourne? I'm in Indialantic.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1841

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1843

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1839

Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado Z71 2.8L Diesel
Gouldings in Monument Valley is the best place to stay. Unfortunately, when we were there during the pandemic, parts of the valley were closed to self drive and you had to take one of their pricey tours, so we just went where we could. Will definitely go back some time in the Fall or Winter.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Trip was over 13 days. We didn't camp the whole way. Lots of local hotels and some major chains along the way. We had a "cabin" in Monument Valley at Gouldings Lodge which had awesome views and is a great place to stay.

Here's some pics of the cabin and the view over to Monument Valley from the porch. The View hotel was sold out when we booked the same day as we arrived, but we really liked Gouldings and I think it's the better option of the two.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1841

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1843

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures IMG_1839
It is an excellent place to stay. I stayed at the campground in 2016.

Definitely want to get back there again. The back roads are on tribal land and are SUV or 4x4 friendly for sure. Dirt and not in the best of shape unless things have changed since 2016.

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures DSCN2333.JPG

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
..,I don't know how people claim to average 28MPG
I donā€™t drive slow either but I got like 27mpg coming back from Mammoth to SDā€¦

Now thatā€™s largely due to the fact that it was almost all downhill and there wasnā€™t much of a headwind. The cars mpg also drops like a rock if you go above 65. So the people who donā€™t mind taking it a bit slower, donā€™t mind getting there a bit later can extend the mpg. But similar to you I see it as an opportunity cost trade off.

Hereā€™s my trip summary for comparison. Keep in mind a significant reason my mpg looks like that is becauseā€¦.I was stuck on shitty back country highways where the cars were going incredibly slow and I couldnā€™t passā€¦
Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures DB2B1F78-3760-469A-81E8-8659EA80FAA7

Ford Bronco Sport Cross Country Road Trip - Bronco Sport Review, MPG, Pictures 0C97D912-B3D9-4598-B271-4C787ABC9481

Last edited:

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Great trip & photos. Monument Valley is a hidden gem to see.

Any roof top carrier will
affect mileage for sure.

But that's the price we pay with limited interior capacity.

I did a post here on my 2700 mile trip to Yellowstone. No roof top carrier but loaded with more crap than we needed.

2021 Badlands, usually between 70-75 MPH. 87 fuel. I did average
a pen & paper calculated of
26.8 MPG which I was also happy with.

So MPH & your loaded roof top gear surely made a
difference.

If MPG were the sole reason for owning a vehicle, this wouldn't be the 1st choice.

But it does so much more and goes places the average car won't.
The larger tires played a factor in MPG as well.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage

Sounds like an awesome trip! Thank you for the additional details. Iā€™m in Grant, moved here a year ago from Indian Harbour Beach.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The beauty of being retired is that we're not in such a hurry. Even with the roof box and hitch rack I got 22 mph driving on the interstate. On backcountry roads staying under 70 mph, I've gotten as high as 33 mpg. Falken 235/65 R17 from the factory. I've pulled a 4'x7' utility trailer with a topper on it and gotten 25 mpg on backcountry roads. That holds all the gear I need.

The_Jimmer

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Great write-up. I run the same size tires and a similar basket setup. Our mileage is right about the same..