Rmarte02

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I just had a trailer hitch installed on our Bronco Sport. Attached is a photo of the plug for the lights. I think the plug is much too low to ground. Dealer said there really is no where else to install ut. Any one have it differently and could send me a photo. Would very much appreciate it. Thank you!
Ford Bronco Sport Trailer hitch light plug in 257CE256-7911-47F4-B628-C807147E8280
Sponsored

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
That seems odd... Here's the factory install, for whatever it's worth:

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer hitch light plug in PXL_20210721_234305373

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just had a trailer hitch installed on our Bronco Sport. Attached is a photo of the plug for the lights. I think the plug is much too low to ground. Dealer said there really is no where else to install ut. Any one have it differently and could send me a photo. Would very much appreciate it. Thank you!
Ford Bronco Sport Trailer hitch light plug in 257CE256-7911-47F4-B628-C807147E8280
Is that a factory hitch?

OP
OP

Rmarte02

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Is that a factory hitch?
No, it was not installed at the factory. The dealer I purchased the Bronco from, sent it out locally to have it installed at a shop. Really not happy with it. I'm afraid it's going to be torn off

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yeah, I wouldn’t accept that. Has to be a better probably way less easy way to install that. Looks like the route of least resistance by the installers. Just my thoughts.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No, it was not installed at the factory. The dealer I purchased the Bronco from, sent it out locally to have it installed at a shop. Really not happy with it. I'm afraid it's going to be torn off
I mean was the hitch a Ford hitch, like a vendor hitch, or was it aftermarket? Because the Ford hitches are back order to hell last I heard.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
Looks like you have a combination 4-way/7-way harness, there aren't many good options to mount something that large. You would need to cut a large notch out of the bumper to make it sit any higher.

Do you plan on towing any trailers with 7-way wiring? If not, maybe have them swap it out for just a 4-way harness, which will be far less bulky. Here's an example from Uhaul's installation video:

OP
OP

Rmarte02

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Yeah, I wouldn’t accept that. Has to be a better probably way less easy way to install that. Looks like the route of least resistance by the installers. Just my thoughts.
O
"Route of lease resistance"?. My thoughts exactly. Great minds think together. It's being corrected. Ty

OP
OP

Rmarte02

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I mean was the hitch a Ford hitch, like a vendor hitch, or was it aftermarket? Because the Ford hitches are back order to hell last I heard.
It's not a Ford hitch. I forget the name brand. It's a class 3 hitch. Ford dealer sent it out to a local trailer dealer and had it installed. Including the low clearance of the plug in, I also think it looks terrible. Sending it back to have the plug installed properly. I was looking for photos of where the light plug is usually mounted. It appears (and makes much more sense) it should have been installed through the bumper, to the left of the license plate.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Easy way is to have them change it out for a four pin as said above . That bracket that the Plug sits on , had to be an add on , so they can just replace the Plug , because , I agree , it's too low , the Four pin will tuck it in or they may be able to attach it on top of the bracket , instead or under it .

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Unless there is clearance for the larger plug behind the bumper cover, I would ask them to switch out the combo 4/7 unit for the 4-only plug and have them mount it in the bumper like the factory installation.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
As is clear from the photos, the rear bumper cover is different from the one with the factory tow package. That additional cubby notch is handy for placing the wiring connector. It's a shame Ford did it this way but it is what it is.

This installation however is horrible hanging down so far.

What I have done in the past with cars was wire a 4 pin wiring (flat wire style) connector with a longer cord and stowed it in the trunk spare tire well until needed. When needed it's a simple matter to pull it out, plug in and tow. The rubber weather stripping on the trunk/hatch has protected the wires from damage while securely holding them in place in the instances I've had. Naturally you'd need to scope out your situation for this option. Pinching the wire insulation is a no go so no sharp edges where it goes through.
Sponsored