Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
  • Banned
I’d kinda like a 5x8 light duty aluminum flat open wire mesh floor trailer. Anybody have and use one ? Weight empty ?
Cost?
Sponsored

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I actually was thinking of buying a trailer too. Rented a 5x9 from Uhaul yesterday and it was only $30 with insurance for the whole day!!… it was 650 lbs I believe and the bs pulled it easily….mind you I was just carrying tree branches. I only need a trailer a couple or 3 times a year so I just gonna rent when I need now.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
That's the way to go. New ones are expensive and hard to find the smaller ones. With the limited towing weight and tongue weight I'd like to maximize on what I can bring not the "vessel" I'm lugging.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
That's the way to go. New ones are expensive and hard to find the smaller ones. With the limited towing weight and tongue weight I'd like to maximize on what I can bring not the "vessel" I'm lugging.
Plus you don’t have insurance cost, maintenance and worrying if someone’s gonna swipe it off your yard ☹

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Roger all that, no swiping in my mountains. I got way too many places to hide bodies. Just wanted it handy for limbs and the occasional trip to Home Desperation for a 4x8 sheet of plywood or 2x4’s. I had a heavy axle 5x8 steel, plank wood floor trailer, it was 600 pounds.
I was thinking an aluminum would be under 500 lbs, no rust or wood rot issues.
The steel one I paid new $550, 15 years later replaced the wheels and tires, new plank floor for a cost of $150 and a half days work.
Sold it for, wait for it,,, $550, at an equipment auction….
Cost of steel went way way up in 15 years..

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I'm afraid the price of aluminum has gone up as well. I'd expect what you're looking for will be nearly 4 time the price of your old steel one.

xlite

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm afraid the price of aluminum has gone up as well. I'd expect what you're looking for will be nearly 4 time the price of your old steel one.
Check out spacetrailer.com.
It is 4x8 though it does fit an ATV.

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Space trailer, wow, once again Someone could buy a tig welder and all the parts, get a better axle and torsion suspension for about half that ridiculous price.
I did a little looking after seeing this. $899 for a flat 5x8,, 4.5x6.5 I’ve seen. Galvanized no frills mesh deck would be more like what I’m after. I just don’t want rust, it rains here often.
Found steel mesh deck mesh gate 5x8 steel for a thou.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Plus you don’t have insurance cost, maintenance and worrying if someone’s gonna swipe it off your yard ☹
? they do that up north? I'm si
Space trailer, wow, once again Someone could buy a tig welder and all the parts, get a better axle and torsion suspension for about half that ridiculous price.
I did a little looking after seeing this. $899 for a flat 5x8,, 4.5x6.5 I’ve seen. Galvanized no frills mesh deck would be more like what I’m after. I just don’t want rust, it rains here often.
Found steel mesh deck mesh gate 5x8 steel for a thou.
Yeah I've looked at a few of those mesh ones at tractor supply. They seem flimsy and will rust out easily; I like the one with wood on it. Think it was $899

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
We have a 5x8 and a 3.5x5. Mesh. From Lowes. Rust has never been a problem. They are stored out in the weather and have had both for over 10 years. Hauled lots of firewood. But.... the wiring has been a weak spot. My husband has had to rewire the larger trailer. This year it needed new lights.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
3.5x5. Mesh. From Lowes.
I think I know which 3.5x5 one you're talking about. Been trying to find one locally here in NoVA, unsuccessfully so far.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
My wife and I just got a house at the start of covid and have rented a trailer 9 or 10 times from uhaul. It's always a 5x8 utility trailer. Sometimes it was an open trailer. I'm happy to give them $28 for a trailer for a day I don't have to maintain, store or have annual registration,as Ford fan has also written.

The ob has no issue with it.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
A few years ago I decided a small utility trailer would be a good idea. Then I had sticker shock.

I ended buying a Harbor Freight trailer. It took a few hours to put together and you have to supply the decking, I used plywood. It can fold up and be rolled upright for storage. I built mine so that it does not fold as have no need for that.

It also tilts for easy loading of things like mowers etc ..

I think it has about an 1800 pound weight limit. It's pretty lightweight, around 250-300 pounds???
Sponsored