OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What it sounds more like is there was something in the pocket the glass goes into and when it was last closed it closed on it, then you hit a bump and the edge is the weakest point on tempered glass causing it to explode. Ask me all you want about tempered I work with tempered glass
Never once opened it (mayyybe once during pre delivery drive) was frigid since January and was just switching to hot Temps here.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport (on the way!)
That
Never once opened it (mayyybe once during pre delivery drive) was frigid since January and was just switching to hot Temps here.
may be another reason, sometimes tempered can’t handle for such a sudden shift in temperature from very cold to very hot

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That

may be another reason, sometimes tempered can’t handle for such a sudden shift in temperature from very cold to very hot
It wasn't too sudden... quite cold jan, feb, March, well into 40s and 50s thru April, and up down thru may-- was 90 for 3 days before/when it happened

Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport (on the way!)
It wasn't too sudden... quite cold jan, feb, March, well into 40s and 50s thru April, and up down thru may-- was 90 for 3 days before/when it happened
That can be it, but Tempered is a mystical creation, we have customers who call us with fifty year old showers and they just explode out of nowhere

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is the moonroof standard Safety Glass, or SoundScreen laminated glass?

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
this is going to get interesting...
I called this afternoon, to check on the status- and was told "still shows as eta today, but hasnt arrived yet. if it arrives early enough we'll pop it in today, otherwise first thing Monday"

2 hours later, they call back--- and now the eta is shown as July 9.... a 3 week delay.

Still say no loaner vehicles are available as well.

Trying a few contacts at corporate-- and getting the runaround there too.

at a loss...

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Ford is not mentioned in this article... though the Ford Edge had its hare of issues with the moonroof a few years back.

I will say this. Tempered glass is a finicky animal. it could have had a flaw, but the smallest rock chip is enough to compromise the integrity of it and the pressure is released in the explosion. While it sucks, but a tiny sharp rock could very well be responsible and this deemed as an impact.
I had a shower door spontaneously explode on us 1 year and a half into use....no impact there... but it still happened. Its the nature of the animal.

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
New update... sometime in July 20th range is now the eta....

Asked if they could swap the whole roof unit to a solid roof, but ford didn't go for that idea

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado

Asked if they could swap the whole roof unit to a solid roof, but ford didn't go for that idea
I've never been a fan of moon roofs, but for some reason most manufacturers bundle them with premium audio. I never pulled the trigger on my OB orders until they offered the OB package sans moonroof.

KAnoe

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2017 Subaru Crosstrek

I did the same and was told NO. I just don't think it is that big of a request or tooling.

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I did the same and was told NO. I just don't think it is that big of a request or tooling.
Did your moonroof shatter too?

I talked to ford body shop first, they said it was doable- corporate didn't give it green light for my situation

KAnoe

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2017 Subaru Crosstrek
Did your moonroof shatter too?

I talked to a ford body shop first, they said it was doable- corporate didn't give it green light for my situation
NO, It is still pending production, I asked some time ago when I started hearing about the "Parts" issues. I would rather not have a moonroof and was hoping that they would let me get a BL/BL without the Moonroof. No Luck. Shoot I even told that I was not looking to change the cost. Just not have a moonroof.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd