shattered moonroof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
well-- just a few weeks after getting the vehicle back from the shop for a repair to paint chips, I was driving down the freeway --- heard a poof and crackle.. moonroof shattered.

dont think anything hit me (there's no souveniers sitting inside my moonroof screen). Was only a few miles away from a dealership so I limped it there, and they said its likely an insurance claim--- but under 1000 miles, this vehicle is fragile! :-(
Ford Bronco Sport shattered moonroof 20210525_165328

While at my local dealer, I notice a customers BL with the same issue. The roof was covered with plastic to keep the water out. I thought it was vandalized until I read this thread. Maybe this is why BL Package is in short supply?
Sponsored

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
While at my local dealer, I notice a BL with the same issue. The roof was covered in plastic. Maybe this is why BL Package is in short supply?
Would love to find out how/why the one you saw broke... which dealership was it? Maybe I'll see if my service rep can investigate...

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I just don't get it. If you don't want a moonroof why not just never open it? If you don't use it you probably won't need "parts". It has a liner cover on the inside and you can't tell there is a moonroof from the outside. Is the extra "blessed" roof weight that big a deal?
For openers, it's another part that can just fail. They don't much anymore but sunroofs have been known to leak. As you can see from this thread it's still glass and it can break. I had a car with a sunroof once. Never again.

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
been a few weeks since i last updated everyone--- prior to 4th of July, i was given guidance that the supplier was starting up production and glass units would be at a Ford warehouse by July 15th, overnighted to my dealership and eta of 20th for repair.

Called the dealer a few times looking for an update last week- and finally received a call back Friday morning-- officially no ETA on the glass. We have officially crossed two months.

cant step down from my FE to a badlands/outerbanks-- a) because there's no cyber orange within 100 miles of here, and b) by the time you add the packages back- you're forced back into a moonroof and they arent even producing those units right now. and cant step up to a fullsize bronco because thats +12 months or more.

wish there was a weatherproof solid insert that could just plug into there... who has a giant 3d printer?!?

stoopidrookie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My first car was from the other side of the state and when the aftermarket sunroof (remember those) broke, I went about two months with some thick plastic and very strong tape before I was able to figure out the manufacturer.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Keep in mind, tow involved the anti-sway and an extra chip...it's more than just a tow bracket bolted/welded to the frame. It's a tow package. Mine was built with tow but I didn't get 360+ or the package...just a guess as to why some were built and others were not.
I didn't get the tow package on my BL; however it does have the anti-sway. The dealer showed me how to turn it on under the "settings" for when I install my hitch and wiring harness.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I would believe that they stalled the BS line because of Chips all along , maybe they had issues with some parts , but you can put a BS down the line with out a Trailer hitch , just as you could one with out a engine cover .
You guys and those engine covers lol

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I'm about to M_&-$8!#ing put mine in the mail box...it's a piece of plastic.?
Easy to say when it isn't your vehicle. It's part of the price, it should be there. This isn't finding out McDonalds shorted you an order of fries when you get home. This is a $30,000+ purchase that you make maybe every 3 to 5 years. There are quality and completeness expectations.

If you "forgot" a monthly payment, Ford credit wouldn't say, "oh well, we got 47 other payments"

stoopidrookie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Dealer says not defective part and not Fords fault. So lemon law not applicable here.
Just a head's up, dealers get sued right along side of the manufacturer on lemon law claims, and they both have every incentive to say it's not Ford's fault.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Are you all taking about the big black square plastic cover with the oil fill in the middle? Looks like a handy place to put my coffee and tools when I disconnect the battery for when we go to Florida in Feb.

I opened my hood for the first time. I like the double-pull latch and no need to find the safety by feel. I also see I have a pad attached to the hood. I guess a sound deadening device.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I had mine removed to make room for an air horn. I am not sure the point of it as mine was coated in mud inside and out .
Maybe box up and ship to someone who didn't get a cover?