JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Not sarcasm and dealers are increasing the available load without welding or any modifications see pic below. This is a BL + BL (moonroof) with a manufacturer dynamic weight limit of 100lbs. It is clearly over 100lbs. The tent itself is 100 plus crossbars plus awning.
Ford Bronco Sport Roof weight limit real world F6D3F747-589C-4BE2-8D76-340D7B25A5DB

If your questions is... “is there a custom roof for the bronco sport that the manufacturer states will increase the recommended dynamic weight limit?”... then no. They do not offer a different custom roof. My answer was directed toward yes the roof can handle a heavier dynamic load. Custom as in customizing accessories in ways that are above the “limit”. See pic above
I would question the statement, “it can handle a heavier dynamic load”. Just because someone is adding more weight does not mean it is safe to do so. Is there an engineering justification to do so or is it just marketing?
Sponsored

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
some people wouldn’t consider 100 pounds on a roof safe. Or wouldn’t feel safe hauling a trailer. Some people wouldn’t drive a stock jeep bc it’s more likely to roll than a sedan. Depending on your driving style and ability, safe can be interpreted differently for different people.

I am confident I would be safe with my driving style with a 100lb tent and awning with smooth acceleration/deceleration. and smooth turns. Marketing or not, there are people driving over the weight limit. You say unsafe, they either disagree or they are risking their lives for a sell...
I guess so. I’m just assuming the engineers who defined the specification knew something. Unless you think the lawyers got involved. Well, each person has to decide if they want to exceed the limit.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I guess so. I’m just assuming the engineers who defined the specification knew something. Unless you think the lawyers got involved. Well, each person has to decide if they want to exceed the limit.
My best guess: 75% lawyers, 25% engineers. I'm sure a safety factor (multiplier) was built in to the weight calculation but I doubt we will ever know what that number is.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(snip)

I’m planning to go with the oem crossbars and Yakima loadwarrior basket. For overlanding trips to carry traction boards, hi lift jack, shovel, gas containers, storage chests
I was looking at the Yakima Off Grid. I'm glad to know about the Load Warrior. Will have to look at that. I saw a discussion about the two on a Subaru forum. Seems like there are pluses and minuses for each (always the case). The main ding I read about the Load Warrior is that its knobs can come loose so you gotta pay attention. But it is lighter and less expensive. Decisions, decisions.

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
The dynamic roof limit probably has more to do with rollover risk more than rigidity

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
With the 100lbs dynamic limit with the moon roof, is it possible to get the BL package without the moon roof so we can bump up the limit to the 150 lbs?

I'm wanting to get the BL+BL package for everything else (leather seats/steering/wireless charging/B&O sound/etc), but I can do without the moonroof if it means that I'll be able to use the hardtop tent that I want to without having to worry about taking on more risk or having to drive more carefully when I go camping.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
With the 100lbs dynamic limit with the moon roof, is it possible to get the BL package without the moon roof so we can bump up the limit to the 150 lbs?

I'm wanting to get the BL+BL package for everything else (leather seats/steering/wireless charging/B&O sound/etc), but I can do without the moonroof if it means that I'll be able to use the hardtop tent that I want to without having to worry about taking on more risk or having to drive more carefully when I go camping.
No, once you get badlands package for anything, the moonroof is included, no ifs, buts or whatever

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I thought I saw some where the roof can handle 600 lb of “live” weight

Not sure the difference between live and dynamic. I am a light person (about 130 lb ) and have walked on the roof while brushing off snow, the roof did not flex at all.

If some kids climbed on my roof while I was parked I would not worry about any damage to the roof . Even if they were jumping on it.

I have the roof rack crossbars. I have only once put a ladder on it. I don’t plan on hauling stuff on the roof but would be okay with 200lb on the roof.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I thought I saw some where the roof can handle 600 lb of “live” weight

Not sure the difference between live and dynamic. I am a light person (about 130 lb ) and have walked on the roof while brushing off snow, the roof did not flex at all.

If some kids climbed on my roof while I was parked I would not worry about any damage to the roof . Even if they were jumping on it.

I have the roof rack crossbars. I have only once put a ladder on it. I don’t plan on hauling stuff on the roof but would be okay with 200lb on the roof.
Dynamic is load when vehicle is in motion. Live is when vehicle is not.

Dbcamp

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Dynamic is load when vehicle is in motion. Live is when vehicle is not.

I wonder why moonroof decreases load limit since weight is transferred to rails on each side of roof. I assume It must simply be that the moonroof assembly weighs more than the section of roof it is replacing.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I wonder why moonroof decreases load limit since weight is transferred to rails on each side of roof. I assume It must simply be that the moonroof assembly weighs more than the section of roof it is replacing.
In the end the roof takes the load. The moonroof will Crack under stress.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The 600 pound static weight limit is the weight that the top part of the body frame supports. The roof rails purpose is to transfer the weight to the body frame (not the sheet metal/glass on the roof). The reason for lower dynamic weight limit has nothing to the bronco sport’s structure becoming weaker in motion. The dynamic weight limit is solely for keeping the risk lower for loss of control due to a higher center of gravity.

like dbcamp said, the moonroof assembly weighs more than the section of roof it is replacing. The 50 less lbs is because Ford determines a certain weight above center to be safe in motion, not because the 50 pounds would be to heavy for the sheet metal/glass combo. Like I said, the sheet metal/glass does not support any weight

Ford Bronco Sport Roof weight limit real world E5ECF994-FA92-4297-9357-6BBD7717B8E3
So would you say that if I rig the roof with good crossbars, kayak holders, and 2 kayaks, in total weighing maybe upwards of 200 lbs, but drive carefully, that would be OK? I have a moonroof, but I think it would be ridiculous if I could not carry 2 kayaks, and I'm always careful with stuff like that on the roof.
Sponsored