jcren

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For about a month or so, I noticed a vibrating sound coming from the back of my car. (I have an OB '21). When I took it to Ford (for an oil change but also another issue, will explain at the end) they told me it was fine. My car was at Ford for 2 weeks with a different issue along with the odd noise. When I went to pick it up I asked them if they discovered what was making the noise (as it had gotten louder), they said they test drove it and there were no issues. I took the car home and for 48 hours, it sounded like the my car was going to fall apart. The back of my car would make these grinding/skipping noises every time I turned my wheel in drive or reverse. We called back into Ford and they said to come back. I had 2 technicians get into my car when I drove and they immediately said it was the rear differential. We drove it around the parking lot and took turns, they even got under my car as the other drove. They said the back of the car would shake as the rear differential turned. They told me that the car was not drivable/safe and took it in. After they did their investigation, they discovered that a gear has broke causing grinding to happen when it turned. Metal shards were all in the rear differential, even after flushing it out. Ford gave them the OK to replace the entire rear diff as it was too damaged to save. My car was at Ford for another 2.5 weeks waiting on the part and to install. I got my car back and it sounds great.

My car was previously at Ford because it had over heated. I checked under my hood after it had over heated and noticed all the coolant was gone. Thought this was odd considering this was a fairly new car and I have never had to fill it up yet. We re-filled it and after driving it again, the coolant was gone. I took it to Ford the next morning and said my engine was eating my coolant. (There were no leaks falling onto the ground or outside of the chamber that we could fine). Ford had my car for 2 weeks and said they couldn't find any leaks and were waiting on a call from Ford to OK the release. After Ford contacted them, they would a small leak in my water pump that was causing the leak. So they had to order a new water pump for my car. Since then, I have had no issues.

Crazy to say that I had 2 major repairs done to my car in the same month, thank goodness it was all covered under my extended warranty. I have about 48k miles on my Bronco sport.
Sponsored

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Interesting, I took my 21 in for the same issue. I thought it was the brakes grabbing, not fully releasing especially when using auto-brake. I'm only 8000 miles away from the 36000 mile mark, end of warranty so I need to convince my dealer its not the brakes. Thanks for the post.

Farmerdawn71

Badlands
First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My 21 BL is at the dealership as we speak for new rear wheel bearings and they are think it will possibly need a new rear differential as well as they are getting noise resonating through...
I am at 64000.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Is this a case of vehicles built around the COVID days? Seems like a lot of the MY21 vehicle popping up with issues. @V8 Yankee you will still have drivetrain coverage, 5yr/60k miles.

Farmerdawn71

Badlands
First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For about a month or so, I noticed a vibrating sound coming from the back of my car. (I have an OB '21). When I took it to Ford (for an oil change but also another issue, will explain at the end) they told me it was fine. My car was at Ford for 2 weeks with a different issue along with the odd noise. When I went to pick it up I asked them if they discovered what was making the noise (as it had gotten louder), they said they test drove it and there were no issues. I took the car home and for 48 hours, it sounded like the my car was going to fall apart. The back of my car would make these grinding/skipping noises every time I turned my wheel in drive or reverse. We called back into Ford and they said to come back. I had 2 technicians get into my car when I drove and they immediately said it was the rear differential. We drove it around the parking lot and took turns, they even got under my car as the other drove. They said the back of the car would shake as the rear differential turned. They told me that the car was not drivable/safe and took it in. After they did their investigation, they discovered that a gear has broke causing grinding to happen when it turned. Metal shards were all in the rear differential, even after flushing it out. Ford gave them the OK to replace the entire rear diff as it was too damaged to save. My car was at Ford for another 2.5 weeks waiting on the part and to install. I got my car back and it sounds great.

My car was previously at Ford because it had over heated. I checked under my hood after it had over heated and noticed all the coolant was gone. Thought this was odd considering this was a fairly new car and I have never had to fill it up yet. We re-filled it and after driving it again, the coolant was gone. I took it to Ford the next morning and said my engine was eating my coolant. (There were no leaks falling onto the ground or outside of the chamber that we could fine). Ford had my car for 2 weeks and said they couldn't find any leaks and were waiting on a call from Ford to OK the release. After Ford contacted them, they would a small leak in my water pump that was causing the leak. So they had to order a new water pump for my car. Since then, I have had no issues.

Crazy to say that I had 2 major repairs done to my car in the same month, thank goodness it was all covered under my extended warranty. I have about 48k miles on my Bronco sport.
[/QUOTE

What did you do for the time without a vehicle?
Did Ford supply you with something to drive in that time?
I may be facing this same situation and there answer was to give me the car back to drive until the parts came in....

guicamarao

Badlands
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a 21 Wildtrack, here in Brazil i'ts the only version available. My car has 10k miles on it, and I'm facing this same noise in the back differential. Local ford deal said I might loose the warranty on the differential because I put a bigger tire on it.
QUestion: A bigger tire diameter than OEM can cause the differential failure?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I would call Ford Customer Service to get clarification. Its different here in the United States. There is a congressional act call the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that allows for certain modifications. Not sure if oversized tires are covered in the act but its certainly common to change tire sizes here in the US. Good luck

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I have a 21 Wildtrack, here in Brazil i'ts the only version available. My car has 10k miles on it, and I'm facing this same noise in the back differential. Local ford deal said I might loose the warranty on the differential because I put a bigger tire on it.
QUestion: A bigger tire diameter than OEM can cause the differential failure?
They will say anything to get out of a warranty repair, and yes, larger tires are quite often an easy get out of jail card for them ... much like installing a tune.

If you put "monster tires" on, then I would say you have no shot. I would just put the OEM tires back on and go to another dealer.

I watched a YT channel from a service manager at a Jeep dealership. I remember during one interview he said that by and far, the most common reason they used to deny warranty repairs on jeeps was oversized tires.

Using the example of "monster tires", yes ... if you're adding say 30+lbs of unsprung weight at each axle point, you are making a 4 banger workk awfully much harder to do what it needs to do.

guicamarao

Badlands
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’ve already put the OEM tires back and will leave the car on the dealer tomorrow. I did not put monsters tires, only 19’s Geolanders. I don’t think tires like this can destroy a differential. When I get the car back will put the tires again.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve already put the OEM tires back and will leave the car on the dealer tomorrow. I did not put monsters tires, only 19’s Geolanders. I don’t think tires like this can destroy a differential. When I get the car back will put the tires again.
I'm not sure if the wildtrak is the v6 or the 2.3, but if its 2.3, I'm not saying 19 inch GEolanders will do damage (again, its not so much the size, as it is the weight), I would just caution you to be careful.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I'm not sure if the wildtrak is the v6 or the 2.3, but if its 2.3, I'm not saying 19 inch GEolanders will do damage (again, its not so much the size, as it is the weight), I would just caution you to be careful.
They have the Wildtrak Bronco Sport so it’s the 2.0. In Brazil they sell the Wildtrak trim which is the BL trim for the BS here in North America.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have the Wildtrak Bronco Sport so it’s the 2.0. In Brazil they sell the Wildtrak trim which is the BL trim for the BS here in North America.
Ahh. I was kind of confused by that. I thought maybe he came over here to get a second opinion on the rear diff due to the thread.

guicamarao

Badlands
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Pick up our Bronco Sport at the dealer. No noise anymore, they say only replaced the oil, no need to replace the entire differential. Will follow close as the warranty expires in October.....

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Lucky, the RDU is covered under the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. In my case the RDU was beyond a oil change. Fortunately I have a new one, a new axle too. On the next oil chage I'm getting the PTU and trans oil changed. Seems these are also high on the list for failure, whether you drive easy or hard. Kind accept this as I've had Fords for 45 years. Unfortunately not as easy to work on as the one I started out with which was a 62 Galaxy.
Sponsored