I-gor

Big Bend
First Name
Blucher!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So I've received a "Do you still like your Bronco Sport?" survey via email from Ford. Part of the survey requested feedback on the concept of a smart phone app completely replacing key fobs or keys. Am I the only person thinking this is an incredibly horrible idea? Phone dies, breaks, gets lost, gets stolen? Even if you're not locked out, you're definitely not driving anywhere.
Sponsored

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I think I saw some Ford vehicles have this already. I was looking around for options to the (maybe unnecessary) bulky key fob I'm carrying around now.

Maybe it could be an option for owners. I've never lost a phone or had one die unexpectedly. I understand everyone is different and those that are prone to phone issues can carry around their keys. I think I would be ok leaving the fob at home.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I'd be fine with just allowing all rigs you own to be programmed to accept one fob. For me it'd be handy to just keep a fob in my pocket at all times and be able to hop in all my rigs and go without switching.

Scott_Anderson_

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Cactus Gray
Yeahā€¦ I like the Ford Pass app, but I get a little worried that I am going to inadvertently turn on my car when I am thumbing through it.

Depending where Iā€™m at, it could range from being inconvenient to a real problem.

OP
OP
I-gor

I-gor

Big Bend
First Name
Blucher!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Iā€˜ve used the FordPass app a couple times to unlock my BB on the fly. Fordā€˜s toying with the idea of making phone proximity and their app the only ways to unlock doors or actually start vehicles.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If you have a keypad on the door to unlock the vehicle you can keep a fob in the car in a faraday pouch and you never have to worry about losing or breaking the phone. I would love to have an app I can use to operate the car.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
At some point this will be the industry standard. Physical items like keys just wonā€™t be needed for primary means. Iā€™d think at first there will be some sort of two factor authentication to start a vehicle. Such as Bluetooth from your phone connecting to the car and a fingerprint or some other biometric involved. Could just be a passcode you input as well.

I donā€™t use keys to get into my house, why should I need one to start my car?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yeahā€¦ I like the Ford Pass app, but I get a little worried that I am going to inadvertently turn on my car when I am thumbing through it.

Depending where Iā€™m at, it could range from being inconvenient to a real problem.
You have to really try to start the car using the FordPass App. Very little chance of accidentally starting it. Worse case is it shuts off after 15 minutes and other than 15 minutes of getting zero miles per gallon, no one wouldā€™ve the wiser!

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
Seems like a potential issue. What happens if your phone dies, gets dropped, ect? How do you get home? I like the idea of multi car single fob, ie your mustang, and f150 could share a fob. OR if someone wanted to get super smart a universal fob so a Subaru and a f150 could share a fob. Getting the companies to talk and agree on a technology would be the hard part but single fob would be awesome.

Dawnybee

Heritage
First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500X
You have to really try to start the car using the FordPass App. Very little chance of accidentally starting it. Worse case is it shuts off after 15 minutes and other than 15 minutes of getting zero miles per gallon, no one wouldā€™ve the wiser!
That's good to know. I often worry that I am going to start it by accident, also šŸ˜Œ

Scott_Anderson_

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good to know. I often worry that I am going to start it by accident, also šŸ˜Œ
I have to be honest. The feature I was criticizing might end up saving my butt.

I am traveling for work and seem to have misplaced my key fob. Will FordPass app work for remote start without the presence of the fob? In other words, sometimes a device has to be in range for remote features to work. But in my case, if I have lost my fob, will I be able to start my vehicle with just the app when I get back to the airport?

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I have to be honest. The feature I was criticizing might end up saving my butt.

I am traveling for work and seem to have misplaced my key fob. Will FordPass app work for remote start without the presence of the fob? In other words, sometimes a device has to be in range for remote features to work. But in my case, if I have lost my fob, will I be able to start my vehicle with just the app when I get back to the airport?
You can start it, but wonā€™t be able to drive.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Thanks for the reply. Ugh. Not what I was hoping to hear.
This is I use an AirTag on my keys, in my backpack, and luggage. I travel a lot for work and if any of them leave my immediate space I get notified immediately. Plus you can see where they are on a map. Definitely invest in them or a Tile.

Scott_Anderson_

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is I use an AirTag on my keys, in my backpack, and luggage. I travel a lot for work and if any of them leave my immediate space I get notified immediately. Plus you can see where they are on a map. Definitely invest in them or a Tile.
Yep. As Iā€™ve been searching frantically, thatā€™s the exact thought that came to mind. AirTags. Iā€™ll be purchasing some soon.
Sponsored