Recall : Even the new design can crack. Recall expanded.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Got it. Nothing is 100% in this world except friggin dying. Ford has dug a hole here that I think should have been nipped in the bud long ago. When NHTSA gets involved, not good for PR.

I've owned 3 Escapes with the 2.0 and no issues.

Why is this a problem with the 1.5 and not the 2.0?
Fuel injector placement on the 2.0L allows for potential fuel leaks to drain away from hot components in the engine bay. That was the purpose of the drain hose included in the recall work. I don't understand why Ford didn't include that feature on newer production engines.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
The 3 cyl 1.5 is too small for a turbo. It works hard for more power, MPGs, and less emissions.
Got it. Nothing is 100% in this world except friggin dying. Ford has dug a hole here that I think should have been nipped in the bud long ago. When NHTSA gets involved, not good for PR.

I've owned 3 Escapes with the 2.0 and no issues.

Why is this a problem with the 1.5 and not the 2.0?
Too small of a 3 cyl displacement to handle a turbo. Also, there's a bit of a vibration felt holding the steering wheel when stopped and in gear. A 4th cylinder may have helped.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
The 3 cyl 1.5 is too small for a turbo. It works hard for more power, MPGs, and less emissions.

Too small of a 3 cyl displacement to handle a turbo. Also, there's a bit of a vibration felt holding the steering wheel when stopped and in gear. A 4th cylinder may have helped.
And yet GM has several even smaller turbo 3 cylinder engines in their cars.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And yet GM has several even smaller turbo 3 cylinder engines in their cars.
Well, Ford is not GM. Maybe GM engineers are a bit smarter. I don't buy GM vehicles so I don't know if their 3 cyl turbos have issues like Ford.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Well, Ford is not GM. Maybe GM engineers are a bit smarter. I don't buy GM vehicles so I don't know if their 3 cyl turbos have issues like Ford.
Maybe they are not as hard stressed for power, and torque.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe they are not as hard stressed for power, and torque.
Definitely stressed with its displacement with turbo. Mechanics will agree to that. I've heard, read and have seen videos saying that.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6 and V8 stalwarts of the 80s and 90s said much the same thing about turbo four cylinders. The 1990 Ferrari Testarossa had a 4.9L V8 producing 380 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. Nowadays you can buy a Mercedes-AMG C63 S sporting Mercedes's M139 engine, a 2.0L turbo 4 cyl producing 469 hp and 400+ lb-ft of torque. In that car, the 4 cyl is part of a hybrid drive system capable of propelling the car from 0-60 in 3 seconds. Even without the electric motor, the M139 can propel the AMG A45 to 60 in under four seconds.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6 and V8 stalwarts of the 80s and 90s said much the same thing about turbo four cylinders. The 1990 Ferrari Testarossa had a 4.9L V8 producing 380 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. Nowadays you can buy a Mercedes-AMG C63 S sporting Mercedes's M139 engine, a 2.0L turbo 4 cyl producing 469 hp and 400+ lb-ft of torque. In that car, the 4 cyl is part of a hybrid drive system capable of propelling the car from 0-60 in 3 seconds. Even without the electric motor, the M139 can propel the AMG A45 to 60 in under four seconds.
You are comparing vehicles at costs of one or a couple hundreds of thousands of dollars engines with Ford's 1.5L?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are comparing vehicles at costs of one or a couple hundreds of thousands of dollars engines with Ford's 1.5L?
No, I compared two vehicles (old and new) of comparable price point (the Ferrari and the Mercedes). You can do the same thing with lower-cost vehicles. For example, the 1990 Ford Mustang GT had a 5.0L V8 producing 225 hp and 301 lb-ft of torque. That was Ford's top-of-the-line performance car of the era. It could accelerate to 60 mph in around six seconds. Today's EcoBoost Mustang is Ford's entry-level performance car. It has a 2.3L 4 cyl producing 315 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque, and can accelerate to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

My point is that opinions regarding the performance/durability of small-displacement turbocharged engines are often based on biased personal perspectives rather than engineering data.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

This is simply not true. Any engine can utilize a turbo, regardless of how many cylinders it has. The turbo simply needs to be designed around the engine displacement.

The European car engines have been using turbos for many years for power and gas mileage advantages.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Definitely stressed with its displacement with turbo. Mechanics will agree to that. I've heard, read and have seen videos saying that.
Did you watch the Videos before you bought a Bronco Sport with the 1.5 Eco Boost? If so why did you buy it?

Last edited:

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you watch the Videos before you bought a Bronco Sport with the 1.5 Eco Boost? If so why did you buy it?
I didn't do my usual homework. I didn't investigate the BS before I bought it. I fell in love with retro design and just bought it. I would have preferred the 2.0L having had that engine in two Lincolns but wanted an OBX and I jumped. Ford is the only domestic badge I buy.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I didn't do my usual homework. I didn't investigate the BS before I bought it. I fell in love with retro design and just bought it. I would have preferred the 2.0L having had that engine in two Lincolns but wanted an OBX and I jumped. Ford is the only domestic badge I buy.
Nothing wrong with that approach. Probably always has worked well for you in the past.

And many owners (probably most owners) with the 1.5L do not have any issues or have been minor issues for them.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Fuel injector placement on the 2.0L allows for potential fuel leaks to drain away from hot components in the engine bay. That was the purpose of the drain hose included in the recall work. I don't understand why Ford didn't include that feature on newer production engines.
Ford has not yet fully clarified why the drain tube and PCM Programming was not done on the recently produced 43,000 Bronco Sports other than as various recent articles stated Ford believed the new -BC fuel injector was more robust.

This 4/12/2024 article has a few key takeaways (most of which has been known for years).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-agency-says-investigate-ford-102833710.html

Ford states the (1.5L cracked fuel injector) problem happens only in about 1% of the SUVs.

Michael Brooks, executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, called Ford’s remedy (drain tube, PCM Programming) for the (1.5L) fuel leaks a “Band-aid type recall” and said the company is trying to avoid the cost of repairing the fuel injectors.

In an email on Wednesday (4/10/2024), Ford said it is not replacing (1.5L) fuel injectors because it is confident the recall repairs (drain tube, PCM Programming) “will prevent the failure from occurring and protect the customer.”

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford has not yet fully clarified why the drain tube and PCM Programming was not done on the recently produced 43,000 Bronco Sports other than as various recent articles stated Ford believed the new -BC fuel injector was more robust.

This 4/12/2024 article has a few key takeaways (most of which has been known for years).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-agency-says-investigate-ford-102833710.html

Ford states the (1.5L cracked fuel injector) problem happens only in about 1% of the SUVs.

Michael Brooks, executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, called Ford’s remedy (drain tube, PCM Programming) for the (1.5L) fuel leaks a “Band-aid type recall” and said the company is trying to avoid the cost of repairing the fuel injectors.

In an email on Wednesday (4/10/2024), Ford said it is not replacing (1.5L) fuel injectors because it is confident the recall repairs (drain tube, PCM Programming) “will prevent the failure from occurring and protect the customer.”
Cheaper to pay for possible lawsuits than a fuel injector fix on 400K+ vehicles.
Sponsored